Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Training for 40 mile ride question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-02-21, 12:21 PM
Nishiki89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I just got back into riding after about a year off. I’ve been riding 10 mile rides at a crisp pace about 3-4 times a week for the past week and a half. I want to sign up for a 41 mile ride that’s about 4 weeks out. The terrain is similar to what I train on. Is it reasonable to train up to this distance in this short of a time frame?

Other important details are:
I’m 32 years old, not overweight, I’m in reasonable shape but not endurance athlete shape, the ride will have hydration stations every 8-10 miles. Terrain is gentle rolling hills with an average rise of 35’ per mile.
Old 07-02-21, 12:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
It is A Ride ,Not a Race.
Why do you worry about it?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-02-21, 12:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Over the next three weeks, try to ramp up your mileage so that you do at least 20-25 miles 1x per week (or more often). Mix up your speed/effort (like interval training, but you won't need to be that rigorous about it.) Take advantage of the rest stops and their drinks and snacks.

You'll be fine. You're young and healthy. As 10 Wheels says, it's a ride. It won't matter how long it takes you to complete it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-02-21, 12:33 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
41 miles is nothing to worry about. For someone young and healthy, you don't even need any serious training for it provided you pace yourself. Go slower than your 10-mile pace, try to consistently eat, don't wait until you feel hungry and gorge yourself. You won't be expending that many calories so your concern shouldn't be to stay as topped up as possible, but having enough to comfortably avoid bonking.

Of course if you want to ramp up the mileage in the next few weeks, that won't hurt. But it's hardly necessary.
Old 07-02-21, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you don't have any undisclosed health issues it should be no problem. As already mentioned by another, it's not a race. Or is that something you have not disclosed to us.

Essentially you just need to figure out what amount of leg muscle you can use and not tire out completely. The more you ride the more muscle you can use without tiring. But what that is will depend entirely on you.

When I'm riding, still without a PM. I maintain pretty much what I think is a constant power output to my legs. I don't try to maintain a certain speed at all unless I'm with a group and speed is what the group goes by.

For solo or when I'm in front of others that don't care about speed, it's my perceived power that dictates things, not speed. I know what level of perceived effort will let me ride all day and what level will only get me to the top of a hill.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-02-21, 12:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
you could ride it now probably

make sure your back side can stand the saddle for that long
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 07-02-21, 12:40 PM
Nishiki89

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Over the next three weeks, try to ramp up your mileage so that you do at least 20-25 miles 1x per week (or more often). Mix up your speed/effort (like interval training, but you won't need to be that rigorous about it.) Take advantage of the rest stops and their drinks and snacks.

You'll be fine. You're young and healthy. As 10 Wheels says, it's a ride. It won't matter how long it takes you to complete it.
Great feedback! That’s kind of what I was thinking training wise. Are you recommending that I start now hitting a 20-25 mile ride once a week, or is that where I should end up a week or two out from the ride?
Old 07-02-21, 12:44 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Nishiki89
Great feedback! That’s kind of what I was thinking training wise. Are you recommending that I start now hitting a 20-25 mile ride once a week, or is that where I should end up a week or two out from the ride?
If you are riding ten mles a few times a week, you can almost certainly go out for 20 miles today - try it! Or build up to it -- whatever you're comfortable with doing.

Don't forget to take water bottles and a snack. You don't need fancy energy products -- a nice cookie is a great mid-ride snack.

Let us know how it goes!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-02-21, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Definitely try a 20 mile ride soon. I actually think ramping it up is a good idea so maybe doing one 30 mile ride in the next few weeks might be a good idea. I think it's a lot easier to increase in 3 10 mile increments than one 30 mile increment. Quadrupling all at once could make it feel more intimidating than it needs to be.

My guess is you won't find the increase to be much of a big deal, but better to make sure.
Old 07-02-21, 12:47 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Nishiki89
I just got back into riding after about a year off. I’ve been riding 10 mile rides at a crisp pace about 3-4 times a week for the past week and a half. I want to sign up for a 41 mile ride that’s about 4 weeks out. The terrain is similar to what I train on. Is it reasonable to train up to this distance in this short of a time frame?

Other important details are:
I’m 32 years old, not overweight, I’m in reasonable shape but not endurance athlete shape, the ride will have hydration stations every 8-10 miles. Terrain is gentle rolling hills with an average rise of 35’ per mile.
Yes, it is reasonable, and possible. Since I'm guessing your goal is to finish, not a particular time, it is feasible you could do it without changing anything. But, just for the smiles a good poop puts on yer face, how about you map out a route that is the equivalent distance, with at least one water stop to top off bottles and a stop for coffee and a muffin/donut/cake and ride it Sunday. No time goal, just get it done. I bet you'll find that even if it's the longest ride you've ever done, it is well within the realm of possible.
Old 07-02-21, 12:49 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Try to do a twenty miler this week and a thirty or at least a 25 before the event. Two numbers that can have motivational meaning in that range are a marathon and 50 km.

​​​​​If you take it slowly and have support you can probably get away with skipping ramp up.
​​But to illustrate what can happen, I've done 100 mile rides in past years and after a slack winter was doing 50s while there was still snow beside the roads, but then slacked off again. Decided it was time to get going and did a 20 mile loop without issue.

Then I went for a fifty after having basically ridden only twenty miles in an entire month.

Ouch. I got it done, but started to have cramping issues on the second climb. The third saw me sitting in the curb near screaming and trying to find some way to stretch out locked up muscles until I could even walk to where I could bail out downhill to a flatter alternative route. It took a few rounds of electrolyte tablets and a lot of pacing and strategy to finish that ride.

Your body can extend to a lot, especially if you're careful of how you care for it - preferably using things you've tried before.

You're also getting into the territory where cycle shorts and chamois cream make sense - even more so for a body that isn't used to it than for one that is.

And don't forget fit issues.

Or sun

​​​​​
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-02-21, 01:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I agree with ramping up. But if you are concerned and want to train set up a pattern.

Maybe do 15 miles a few times this week.

Them move it to 20 miles a few times next week.

A couple 20’s with a 25 the following week.

I probably do a 20, 30, and an easy 10 right before.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-02-21, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Do you have a course map?

You might want to also train on a hill that is similar to what you will encounter on the course.

But, as other said, you should be fine, but it doesn't hurt to push yourself a little before the ride.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-02-21, 02:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Supported rides can be great!. If you can ride 10 miles w/o being bushed, you can do a 40 mile supported ride. Stop at the rest stops and enjoy the eats. Maybe you'll find some congenial folks riding your speed to share the fun. I'd suggest you start toward the back and let the fast folks and squirrels get out of your way. Take some pics. Thank the people operating the rest stops. Let us know how it goes.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-02-21, 02:37 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
You got this. What is your average pace? And what type of bike and what tires? Just make sure to eat something sweet and full of calories about halfway. Drink plenty of water.
Also, since it's a few weeks away, Go for a 30 miler or two. 11 more miles after that will seem easy after a few 30 mile rides. Also, the training rides will condition your underside for the saddle, a very important part to train.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 07-02-21, 03:53 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
So much love in this thread. I agree with everyone though. You will be fine. Glad you are getting back to riding. I took a long break years ago and now am back and highly addicted. You may be in trouble in a good way.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-02-21, 04:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
twice in one ride, no problemo!
Old 07-02-21, 04:50 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
How about do a 20 miler all in one direction, then go back to get your car! Seriously, at your age 40 miles might hurt your butt a bit , the ride should be nothing..3 hours on a bike sounds like a little piece of paradise if the weather is good.
Old 07-02-21, 04:56 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Just get out and ride. You are over thinking it way to much. Cut back your pace and do 30 miles tomorrow.
Old 07-03-21, 05:19 PM
Nishiki89

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and positive support! This is a great forum. I will go for it!
Likes For Nishiki89:
Old 07-03-21, 08:42 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Somebody in these forums, some time ago, said you should be able to ride as far in a day as you typically ride in a week. At the time, I wanted to do a century and was riding only 15-20 miles a day, but almost every day and more than 100 miles a week. I tested out that idea and with no more training rode my century--107 miles. Also, I'm 71, so I have a few years on you.. I'm agreeing with everyone else who's added to this thread. I wouldn't try to discourage you from more training, but you are already in good shape to do the 40 miles.
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-03-21, 09:03 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Yeah, in halfway decent shape, 40 miles is probably more of a mental hurdle unless your bike is an anchor or uncomfortable. Make sure to stay hydrated and maybe have a couple snacks.

Take it easy, in a group ride situation don't get carried away, unless you are looking for some pain.
Old 07-03-21, 11:22 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
41 miles is nothing to worry about. For someone young and healthy, you don't even need any serious training for it provided you pace yourself. Go slower than your 10-mile pace, try to consistently eat, don't wait until you feel hungry and gorge yourself. You won't be expending that many calories so your concern shouldn't be to stay as topped up as possible, but having enough to comfortably avoid bonking.
All of this. My only other piece of advice is to stop at every aid station, even if it's just 30-60 seconds. Ask yourself if you're feeling okay. Ask yourself if the pace is good. Drink water. get a bite to eat. Get back on the bike.

If you've never ridden 41 miles before then literally whatever time you get will be your personal best. So don't overdo it only to crack at the 35-mile mark.

Last edited by guachi; 07-03-21 at 11:27 PM.
Likes For guachi:
Old 07-04-21, 12:32 AM
Nishiki89

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
You got this. What is your average pace? And what type of bike and what tires? Just make sure to eat something sweet and full of calories about halfway. Drink plenty of water.
Also, since it's a few weeks away, Go for a 30 miler or two. 11 more miles after that will seem easy after a few 30 mile rides. Also, the training rides will condition your underside for the saddle, a very important part to train.
Good point about conditioning for being in the saddle. Also I’ll make sure to stay on top of my infra-ride nutrition.

I ride an ‘89 Nishiki road bike. It’s not fancy or super lite but I love it. As for tires I’ve got 23mm Continental Ultra Sport 2’s.
Old 07-04-21, 12:35 AM
Nishiki89

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Somebody in these forums, some time ago, said you should be able to ride as far in a day as you typically ride in a week. At the time, I wanted to do a century and was riding only 15-20 miles a day, but almost every day and more than 100 miles a week. I tested out that idea and with no more training rode my century--107 miles. Also, I'm 71, so I have a few years on you.. I'm agreeing with everyone else who's added to this thread. I wouldn't try to discourage you from more training, but you are already in good shape to do the 40 miles.
That is incredibly interesting! Thanks for sharing that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.