Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Kona Dew 2022 vs other old models

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 03:30 PM
tti1422

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello! I want to buy the Kona Dew Plus or Deluxe. Probably either would work for me.

I'm just trying to decide if I should buy a new one from the store or marketplace. I haven't been able to find many in my size and the city where I live, maybe one only. However, I noticed that at some point they did 700c tires and now the last couple of years are 650b. Today I tried the 2023 model at a store and I like the bike, but I was wondering if I buy a used one the 700c would it make it different?

I already own a road bike so I know the 700c but I was wondering in this kind of bike and geometry which would be better as Kona changed that at some point, must be a reason.

Also the other different I noticed in the newer models they only have 1 chainring whereas in the past they had 3 I believe. Which option is better? I'm actually used to having 2 on my road bike and 3 on the mountain bike, this time was the first time riding with 1. I tried on a hill and was good on the lower gear.

I'm not an expert, but trying to understand which one would be better mechanically speaking. Regarding the tires and gearing in particular.

Thank you!
Old 04-11-23, 05:45 PM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Nothing rides better than an endurance bike on roads. Low handlebar, 28mm tires, keeping the pressure lowish for bad surfaces.

There is a trend toward wider tires and higher handlebars. I lowered the handlebars on my new Cannondale Topstone gravel bike, otherwise it was just too hard to pedal and float over rough surfaces. My 38mm Marathon Plus pavement tires are fine but 32mm at low pressure would be better.

As for gearing I haven’t tried 1x chainring, they are probably ok but really designed for off-road constantly varying speeds.

Last edited by Robert7659; 04-11-23 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 05:43 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
First let me say I love my older Kona Dew. I see odd tire size changes as fads that come in an out. I remember when I bought my mountain bike many years ago you were considered "lame" if you didn't get one with 29" wheels. As far as chain rings I see positives and negatives to both options. I like to clean my drivetrain now and then. A single chain ring is a much easier option for cleaning. But as a fat old man I need as many gearing options as possible.
Old 04-12-23, 02:19 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I have a 2019 Kona Dew Deluxe & love it. I wish the overall gearing were a little lower (will soon rectifiy that). Its a 3x, which seems to be going extinct; I cant see the 1x trend.
Likes For epnnf: