Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Old 05-31-23, 12:10 PM
daviddillard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Rebuild came from a Xootr Swift that I had powdercoated locally. I got a set of Swift Folder decals from Peter Reich.
Old 05-31-23, 12:11 PM
daviddillard

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I'll post the pictures and description over on the Swift folder thread when I can.
Old 05-31-23, 12:14 PM
daviddillard

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Actually got a few derailleur hangers from the folks at Xootr. They work with a little modification. Talked for awhile with one of their workers--he was bummed that the company got out of the Swift folder business.
Likes For daviddillard:
Old 05-31-23, 02:25 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Can I request pictures of the "boring paint job" version?

Currently, I'm back to biking on a beater.
However, if I stick to it long enough, I plan to sell the beater bike and get an Origami Swift.
I miss my old Xootr Swift, but think this one is better (custom rack, better gearing, disk brakes, Brompton attachment point).
I will get a photo of the grey tomorrow, but for now I have a photo of the production model in green. Note the adjustable handlebar stem, full fenders, black rims, and added bottle mounts.

Old 05-31-23, 05:21 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
I will get a photo of the grey tomorrow, but for now I have a photo of the production model in green. Note the adjustable handlebar stem, full fenders, black rims, and added bottle mounts.

​​​​​​Lovely bottle mount on the top tube. Wide 1x gear range. Disc brakes and lots of mounts to attack bags and whatnots. The decals are nicer and more understated than on its Xootr predecessor. And incredible hulk green goes well with black and white (who woulda thunk it) Congratulations and thank you Paul for sifting through the oftentimes conflicting noise of us bike forum aficionados. That new Swift looks like great fun and on your part a well curated synthesis of our opinionated opinions. In my own humble opinion it might be the best thing to come out of here since the Titanium Swift discussion. Hope that this product catches on. Swift folders deserve to be more famous and widely enjoyed. This really does look like "a new version of a classic".

Have you had an opportunity to take it out for a spin? I'd love to see a photo of it in the nude (without the rack, fenders, rear reflector, and maybe with the adjustable stem in a lowered position) but for now I guess I'll just have to use my imagination

Last edited by joey buzzard; 06-01-23 at 03:43 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 06-06-23, 01:02 PM
daviddillard

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I hope it becomes a new classic!
Old 06-06-23, 01:41 PM
Leon S. Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suggest updating the Origami website since the May 2023 delivery date is not possible.
Likes For Leon S. Kennedy:
Old 06-06-23, 02:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
​​​​​​ I'd love to see a photo of it in the nude (without the rack, fenders, rear reflector, and maybe with the adjustable stem in a lowered position) but for now I guess I'll just have to use my imagination
Heck, I want to see it with BMX gearing and Hookworms
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-08-23, 07:33 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Heck, I want to see it with BMX gearing and Hookworms
You can purchase the frame kit and do whatever you want with it.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-08-23, 07:34 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy
I suggest updating the Origami website since the May 2023 delivery date is not possible.
Yes, I was trying to get a better date first, but that is pointless. I decided to remake all of the frames for this initial production run because I was not happy with them. I know it will add time, but I can't offer something that doesn't make me happy.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-09-23, 12:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You can purchase the frame kit and do whatever you want with it.
I missed that you had added a frame set option. What’s included? Everything you could think of, or just a seat clamp, rack or not…
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-09-23, 01:35 PM
Leon S. Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I was trying to get a better date first, but that is pointless. I decided to remake all of the frames for this initial production run because I was not happy with them. I know it will add time, but I can't offer something that doesn't make me happy.
Thank you for your dedication to quality. It means a lot to us who are purchasing the bike.
Old 06-13-23, 07:37 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I missed that you had added a frame set option. What’s included? Everything you could think of, or just a seat clamp, rack or not…
The frame set includes the frame, fork, seatpost, and handlebar riser.
Old 06-13-23, 07:40 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by mlau
Can I request pictures of the "boring paint job" version?

Currently, I'm back to biking on a beater.
However, if I stick to it long enough, I plan to sell the beater bike and get an Origami Swift.
I miss my old Xootr Swift, but think this one is better (custom rack, better gearing, disk brakes, Brompton attachment point).
This the is "boring" paint job. It is actually quite attractive.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-13-23, 08:00 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

This the is "boring" paint job. It is actually quite attractive.
I love the subtle graphic of the paper origami swift bird on that top tube. It looks very pretty. +1 style points.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 06-13-23 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-13-23, 10:10 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
I love the subtle graphic of the paper origami swift bird on that top tube. It looks very pretty. +1 style points.
It is hard to see in the photo, but we included a message below the word Swift that says, "Original design by Peter Reich, reimagined by Origami". I wanted to make sure that Peter alway gets credit for his design.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-13-23, 11:15 AM
joey buzzard

It is hard to see in the photo, but we included a message below the word Swift that says, "Original design by Peter Reich, reimagined by Origami". I wanted to make sure that Peter alway gets credit for his design.
Yes, good to acknowledge Peter Reich'. Also makes the bike a bit more special with its original designer's name attached. Random people ask me about my Xootr Swift from time to time. How to pronounce Xootr can be confusing for them and the word "Swift" doesn't jump out. I think your graphics are a definite improvement. Now if someone is really intrigued by what they see they can look up Peter Reich bike and get all the info off the web. Anyway, nice job
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 06-14-23, 07:00 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
This is great, being able to build the bike as wanted. In my case I would transfer the components from an existing bike to this swift.

This is the donor bicycle I would use:

Last edited by jfouellette; 06-14-23 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 06-14-23, 07:13 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by jfouellette
This is great, being able to build the bike as wanted. In my case I would transfer the components from an existing bike to this swift.

Which parts were you most interested in using?
Old 06-14-23, 07:42 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Which parts were you most interested in using?
Every thing except frame, fork, seatpost, handlebar riser, brakes
Old 06-14-23, 02:51 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette

I have mine (same bike, LoL) hanging up in the basement, on a hook, gathering dust. This is a great bike, but just not for me. Building a custom Origami Xootr is definitely a better option.

Last edited by tds101; 07-18-23 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 11:15 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
I can see the appeal of building a custom Swift especially if you have a lot of the needed parts on hand. In my case, I believe it would be better to buy the complete bike and make any changes I find necessary somewhere down the road. I'm not sure I could build a complete Swift for any where close to the $460 price difference between the frameset and a complete bike. At least not with components of the same quality or better. If anyone has done it or knows how to do it, please share your experience/knowledge because it could be a fascinating project.
Old 06-15-23, 06:38 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I can see the appeal of building a custom Swift especially if you have a lot of the needed parts on hand. In my case, I believe it would be better to buy the complete bike and make any changes I find necessary somewhere down the road. I'm not sure I could build a complete Swift for any where close to the $460 price difference between the frameset and a complete bike. At least not with components of the same quality or better. If anyone has done it or knows how to do it, please share your experience/knowledge because it could be a fascinating project.
If the Swift frameset carries standard size, non proprietary parts (which is likely the case), building one up should not be a big deal and is fundamentally no different from building the FnHon, Dahon and FSIR frames that I've built into complete, road-ready bikes over the years. Once you've installed the headset (press fit tool required) and handlepost, everything else is rather easy and straightforward. You'll need a specialized tool here and there. BB wrench, cogset key to tighten the cogset onto the spline, press fit tool, for example. I find it quite relaxing and satisfying to build my own bikes, usually with a beer on hand. And if you tour like I do, it pays to know how your bike is built so you can effect preventive and corrective maintainace on the road.

Regarding the price differential between the complete bike and the frameset, $460, depending on your world location, you may well acquire the parts yourself totaling $460 and arrive at a better specced bike than a stock complete one for the same money. Your biggest expenses will be, in decreasing order, the wheelset, the brake system and the RD. If Paul sends me a frameset, I'll build it out of my own pocket and document the process. Kinda free publicity.

In any case, we can't know whether we can build a Swift with higher quality components on our own for $460 if the part-by-part spec sheet of the complete bike is not made available for reference. Before spending $900 on a complete bike, I would like to know the components on it. For example, much is made of the 11-42T cogset. Is it and the RD and shifter with which it is mated Shimano (or SRAM, the two segment leaders)? What make are the disc brakes?

Happy to share my knowledge and experience in building small-wheel, non-proprietary part folding bikes.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-16-23 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-16-23, 04:20 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
If Paul sends me a frameset, I'll build it out of my own pocket and document the process. Kinda free publicity. Happy to share my knowledge and experience in building small-wheel, non-proprietary part folding bikes.
lol, Paul should send us all a free frameset so we can show our skilz.
Old 06-16-23, 05:22 AM
joey buzzard

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
If Paul sends me a frameset, I'll build it out of my own pocket and document the process. Kinda free publicity.
LoLz. "Kinda free publicity..."

Wasn't aware that you're a famous celebrity, Ron. Do you have a YouTube channel or are you mostly on TikTok? Maybe I'll tune into your content. Celebrity chefs are getting to be just a little pasé, so maybe it's time to watch some genius celebrity bike mechanic like yourself giving up the dirt on best practices regarding how to drink beer and order cheap components from Asia. I'm sure that millions of people are already subscribed and they'll heed your gold plated endorsement of any product you feature on your podcast. A $460 item in exchange for such publicity is sorta like the same as free. lol. lol. And... lol. And thanks for all the entertainment!

Last edited by joey buzzard; 06-16-23 at 05:41 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.