Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Titanium Ultralight 16-inch wheel folding bikes - Looking for leads on suppliers

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Titanium Ultralight 16-inch wheel folding bikes - Looking for leads on suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-23, 05:09 PM
FlamingTux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Question

LOOKING for recommendations and recent experience with Titanium Brompton clone builders. Does EasyTi have any serious competition?

I am reading mixed opinions on EasyTi: some negative, others note as long as you know what you are getting into, it's fine.

Background

Looking for a folding bike with 16 inch wheels , weighing 8kg or less.

Goal is to tag along with folks traveling in cars, and be able to toss a bike easily into a non-empty car trunk, as well as to take trains /buses and do the last 50km or so on bike. Air travel packing the bike into a suitcase is in the cards as well.

Ideally, something assembled, though open to working with a local bike shop to have key parts shipped in and assembled.

Budget between US$4,000 and US$6,500. Willing to shell out coin on a bike closer to 6kg.

My location: Canada

Some extensive research (reference below) led me to a titanium Brompton clone plus high end weight weenie parts being best value:
  • -Large aftermarket OEM parts market
  • -Still smallest fold in the market
  • -Cheaper and actually available, unlike Brompton T-line

References:

Bike forums will not let me add links until I reach 10 posts.

Ruled out:
  1. Brompton T-line: not available, except resellers who add a profit on top of original purchase price. Expensive, but if my quest for a good clone fails, this is second best option that I will go upgrading.
  2. 3sixty Titanium bikes - no availability, except website that seems Korean only, and what accessories are compatible/upgrade/replacement parts path not clear
  3. Chedech - Light but fold size not clear, seems to flex a lot, no luggage block mount in front, and parts/accessories limited. Given I will travel extensively with the bike, all carbon seems unsafe and prone to physical damage in transport. Tempting though as pricing seems to fall in USD 2,500 range, plus taxes and shipping from Korea
  4. Hummingbird carbon bikes - very light but bigger fold than Brompton
  5. Bike Friday Pakit Elite(mk2) - impressively light for relatively not a lot of money (US$3,600) for 6.6kg config. Tempting, but fold is not as small, and fold size is key to my use case
  6. Burke Titanium - About the price of Brompton T-line, similar weight, less compact fold, bigger wheels and arguably better ride. Does not fit my use case.
Old 04-02-23, 03:48 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Technically, I think the Brompton T-line fits the best for your need, it rides very well, is ex factory below 8kg and it will easily be possible to go even lower. It doesn't have the flexibility problems of the titanium clones. The only potential issue is that there is no feedback yet about long term reliability.

The problem is indeed that its only available directly from Brompton and Brompton doesn't commercialized it in every country, so in many countries its not available. What you call "resellers" are people reselling the bike they have bought as end customer.
Old 04-02-23, 08:38 AM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I know you said you're looking for 16" wheels but have you consider the Helix folding bike? It has 24" wheels and a really compact fold. The ride is excellent and I haven't had any trouble fitting it in car trunks etc.. The 11 speed model ultralight model is about 20lbs. They're based in Canada.
Old 04-02-23, 09:46 AM
Jipe

Whatever the claims of the Helix creator, Helix is much bigger and much heavier than a Brompton T-line !

And its easy to understand: first the helicoidal folding concept is by essence heavy with as result and heavier frame, second ETRTO507 wheels are by essence heavier than ETRTO349 wheels.
Old 04-03-23, 05:07 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Whatever the claims of the Helix creator, Helix is much bigger and much heavier than a Brompton T-line !

And it’s easy to understand: first the helicoidal folding concept is by essence heavy with as result and heavier frame, second ETRTO507 wheels are by essence heavier than ETRTO349 wheels.
The derailleur version of the Helix is about 20lbs which is about 3lbs heavier than the T-line. It has 11 speeds and rides really well. It’s larger than the Brompton when folded but not by all that much.
Old 04-03-23, 06:01 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Scanning down from your similar info request on ******, there's a thread "It's Complete; a full titanium P Line!"

https://www.******.com/r/Brompton/co...tanium_p_line/

Among other helpful information for such endeavors, the poster claims they got the frame from a Taiwanese outfit called Ti Atom.

Edit: Hmph! You can't mention ****** on bike forums. So, you know, sorry. If I'd reviewed the site restrictions, I probably would have read it before I posted this.

Last edited by tcs; 04-03-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 01:14 AM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
Old 04-06-23, 07:17 AM
Jipe

Starting at 21lbs = 9.5kg, its the weight of a P-line with about the price of a P-line (2977 + 304USD) but with only an internal 3s IGH!
Old 04-06-23, 11:37 AM
realdahon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Starting at 21lbs = 9.5kg, its the weight of a P-line with about the price of a P-line (2977 + 304USD) but with only an internal 3s IGH!
Thanks for this.
Old 05-17-23, 12:12 PM
Hrodwolf

Bikes: Tern Verge X11 (2021), Helix Ultralight (2023)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
The titanium Brompton clones use the traditional frame.
For its T line, Brompton has opted for wider tube shapes to maintain stiffness, according to a review.
Does it mean that the titanium clones underperform. Has anyone tested these clones?
Old 05-18-23, 05:41 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
My choice would be the Bike Friday Pakit. Yes it’s not as small for packing in a suit case but it’s very low weight, has been reviewed, is available, has user history, is made of steel, uses std components, some customization available, co. Has good customer service, price is within your budget. It meets 90% of your criteria.

Last edited by jfouellette; 05-18-23 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 05:42 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
My choice would be the Bike Friday Pakit. Yes it’s not as small for packing in a suit case but it’s very low weight, has been reviewed, is available, has user history, is made of steel, uses std components, some customization available, co. Has god customer service, price is within your budget. It meets 90% of your criteria.
How much does it weigh exactly?
Old 05-18-23, 06:01 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
How much does it weigh exactly?
The Bike F web site reads the weight starts at 16 lbs.