Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

sebaceous cysts in perineum at base of scrotum

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 03:53 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I managed to not get major saddle sores this year by working my core much more in yoga classes and body works classes at the gym. This has helped me to deploy preventative measures that have help reduce constant perineal pressure. Using better hygiene in that area along with clean bib shorts (or bib tights) that are fully pulled up and not pinching - all of these measures got me through 2021 with better results than last year.

Last year I was calling the condition "Perineal Nodular Induration" - which is my internet self diagnosis. A urologist who examined me said I had a bad sebaceous cyst.

I healed 2 of them up over the winter and as the inflammation went down, the hard as a rock quality got better - the inflammatory process quieted, the hard grape softened....

But now I have a new hard grape, fortunately this one is slightly further out of harms way. in the center of the base of the scrotum. I have been washing my perineal area with warm water and soap and drying the area before donning my shorts to try to keep the area really clean. It is not terribly painful but the hard grape is still there. I plan next to try last year's trick which is to place a slice of fresh Turmeric root directly over the sebaceous cyst and cover the area with tegaderm for as long as I can keep the Turmeric in place. My theory is that the antioxidant properties of the Turmeric root can topically apply their magic by capillary action which can then soften the inflamed nodule and thus allow it to send a stuck hair to the surface and not necessarily drain but soften and reduce in size.

Just thought I would share a work in progress and my apologies if my descriptions are nasty.

Last edited by masi61; 12-12-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 04:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
We'll need pictures to make a proper diagnosis.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-12-21, 07:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I get little rocks down there some times. I imagine going to the doctor and having someone squeeze my soft bits and diagnosing nothing. So far they always go away on their own, but they're probably cysts.
Old 12-12-21, 07:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
We'll need pictures to make a proper diagnosis.
I hope he sends it PM. Doctor once told me that Nair is your friend...
Old 12-12-21, 07:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
At the risk of being a killjoy, I've never found any traditional, homeopathic/naturopathic, folk remedy, etc., solutions that effectively treat cysts, boils, warts, etc. Tried several, no results. I suspect that at most the lubrication reduces the chafing a little while the area heals naturally at its own pace, but lacking other medicine folks convinced themselves about the efficacy of some drawing salve or poultice.

I use Walgreens brand moisture barrier cream for occasional saddle sore ouchies -- usually ingrown hairs or chafing from a seam or wrinkle in my shorts on a long sweaty ride. The Walgreens stuff comes in a large green tube, usually found in the "seniors" aisle for folks who are incontinent and spend a lot of time in a wheelchair, nursing home bed, etc. I got it for my mom at first as her condition declined. But I discovered it works great for the usual saddle sores.

It's mostly zinc oxide, which is very persistent stuff and isn't easily sweated out or washed out -- it takes some hand scrubbing with a strong detergent such as Fels Naphtha bar soap to clean out the whitish cream. It has some useful added ingredients, mostly for topical pain relief: menthol (very mild, no stinging against sensitive skin) and a few other things. The many other ingredients are not listed as "active ingredients" and are common to many folk remedies, so it's basically a "natural" ointment made more effective with zinc oxide and menthol as a topical analgesic.

It's also great for really painful hemorrhoids, although a sitz bath in warm water with Epsom salts works even better. So try those leisurely soaks in a sitz bath for ingrown hairs, cysts, etc. When the solution is strong enough to make your fingertips wrinkly -- usually one or two cups of Epsom salts per bathtub -- it's effective at reducing swelling in the nether regions.

If the knotted spot was persistent and uncomfortable in any seated position, I'd consider shaving the region (with an electric shaver -- safer and gets close enough) and using Dr. Scholl's Moleskin or comparable adhesive padding. The trick is to cut out a circular area to allow the swollen area to peek through, while the raised area created by the moleskin or bunion type bandage to relieve some pressure. After the swelling decreases soak the bandage, use rubbing alcohol, etc., to gently dislodge the adhesive. Usually it just peels off on its own after a couple of days, depending on the person's perspiration, skin oil, etc.
Old 12-12-21, 07:40 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The use of the term "magic" seems interesting, I really hope you don't hurt yourself further using undocumented treatments, I'm pretty sure there are different biological processes at play there.

My father suffered a few sebaceous cysts, albeit on his back, but they were very painful and you have my sympathy. As always, the best option is to follow a GP's advice. There may be a surgical procedure that'll provide relief. Applying turmeric? I have my doubts.
Old 12-12-21, 08:36 PM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
My second bout with something like this needed local anesthetic, and minor surgery. The surgeon said he might need to clean up the sebacious glands in the area if these keep forming. It's been a couple seasons since that interaction. While unpleasant, it was way better than a prostate biopsy. (or 4)
Old 12-12-21, 11:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You may recall that I also had a PNI a couple years ago. I went to a dermatologist who also diagnosed it as a sebaceous cyst. Misdiagnosed, that is. He injected a steroid into it which basically melted all the flesh in the area and which hasn't healed completely in 2 years and may never recover from his treatment. He told me originally that the injection would cause the cyst to open and discharge its contents in a week and everything would be fine. Wrong. Thus I'm very wary of that diagnosis. I think surgery would have been a better option. Mine was much larger than a grape, maybe 2" long as 1/4" high. But who knows what the thing behind you scrotum is. Not a PNI anyway. Mine was from an imperfectly fitting saddle and I'm guessing just plain age. The best thing I treated my post-op injury with was a hydrocolloid dressing.
Old 12-13-21, 03:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by 355Mono
My second bout with something like this needed local anesthetic, and minor surgery. The surgeon said he might need to clean up the sebacious glands in the area if these keep forming. It's been a couple seasons since that interaction. While unpleasant, it was way better than a prostate biopsy. (or 4)
r.e. bold >>> If the biopsy hurt, it was likely the antiquated AND VERY INFERIOR TRUS procedure biopsy. Even MRI guided TRUS biopsies can miss PCa (Prostate Cancer) since the ANTERIOR of the prostate can not be sampled. A transperineal method biopsy is the best procedure AND should be painless.
Old 12-17-21, 07:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Just have the dermatologist cut it out. I had one on my neck that annoyed me for years. Quick and painless to have it removed, half dozen stitches.
Old 12-17-21, 08:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
"Perineal Nodular Induration"
His brother, Miguel Induration, won the Tour de France 5x in the 90s.
Old 12-17-21, 09:10 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just have the dermatologist cut it out. I had one on my neck that annoyed me for years. Quick and painless to have it removed, half dozen stitches.
I asked the dermatologist if he would. I think if it had been on my neck they would have. But mention your private parts and then they are not real keen on cutting you down there - they sent me to the urologist and the urologist wanted to send me to a surgeon - frustrating.

Last edited by masi61; 12-17-21 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 12-17-21, 09:10 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
His brother, Miguel Induration, won the Tour de France 5x in the 90s.
that's a good one
Old 01-10-22, 11:39 AM
masi61

just an update. Maybe it is because I am not putting in the heavy duty outside miles or I would like to think it is being helped by my homegrown "poultice" but the 2 hardened nodules are diminishing. One of them is currently mostly undetectable. I believe that the duct is still there, it just is no longer inflamed so it is now soft. The other one has reduced in size no longer the size of a plump grape, now more like a hard raisin.

I plan to continue to my "poultice" of a slab of turmeric root buttered with Manuka honey and held in place with a large bandaid.
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-15-22, 07:23 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
I asked the dermatologist if he would. I think if it had been on my neck they would have. But mention your private parts and then they are not real keen on cutting you down there - they sent me to the urologist and the urologist wanted to send me to a surgeon - frustrating.
Maybe Dr. Pimple Popper? (Bonus - your private parts may end up on TV!)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-20-22, 08:51 PM
HelenP
For Frieda!

Bikes: Trek FX2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I get abscesses in that region too from my saddle, the worst part about it is that once they happen, they’re likely to recur. Such a pain in the butt — which actually the guy in the other thread has a version of (and I’d prefer that one). Hang in there and keep us updated on the progress!
Likes For HelenP: