Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New Cannondale Topstone AL model - less proprietary!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 08:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

https://bikerumor.com/cannondale-int...rting-at-1350/
Cannondale spec'd it with a threaded bottom bracket and normal dished rear wheel.
45mm clearance, relatively quick steering for a gravel bike, and relaxed head tube.

Nice to see this, since the Topstone morphed quickly from competitive quality value bikes to goofy niche expensive options.
Old 07-12-22, 08:33 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Yeah, they were lost for a while to the goofy side.
Old 07-12-22, 08:57 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I hate those seatstays, although to be fair, Cannondale is hardly the only ones doing them like that. Funny that a threaded BB is newsworthy…
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-13-22, 07:58 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I hate those seatstays, although to be fair, Cannondale is hardly the only ones doing them like that. Funny that a threaded BB is newsworthy…
Old 07-14-22, 09:48 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
It's interesting that the Topstone 1, 3 & 4 have the old rear triangle but the 2 does not. Is it just old & new blending on the website?
Old 07-30-22, 09:35 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
It's interesting that the Topstone 1, 3 & 4 have the old rear triangle but the 2 does not. Is it just old & new blending on the website?
The updated Cannondale website shows all the new frames are updated.
Old 07-30-22, 10:51 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bald1der
The updated Cannondale website shows all the new frames are updated.
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...loy/topstone-1
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...loy/topstone-3

Those load up on my browser with the old rear triangle. The Topstone 3 even says "new"
Old 07-31-22, 08:18 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...loy/topstone-1
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...loy/topstone-3

Those load up on my browser with the old rear triangle. The Topstone 3 even says "new"
You’re correct. I’m sorry I was thinking of an article I read that had pictures of all the frames being updated.

https://bikerumor.com/cannondale-int...rting-at-1350/
Old 07-31-22, 10:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
FWIW, the aluminum Topstones never had re-dished rear wheels, that was only the carbon that had suspension. My 2019 aluminum has a BSA b-bracket as well.
Old 08-01-22, 04:57 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Local REI had one for $2300, to lazy to look for the model. No way would I pay $2300 for that bike!
Old 08-02-22, 07:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Local REI had one for $2300, to lazy to look for the model. No way would I pay $2300 for that bike!
Based on what you list for bikes, you havent purchased one in over a decade. Bike costs are crazy right now and value is tough to find, but at the same time, your view of things is clearly skewed and pretty moot.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-03-22, 09:10 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
FWIW, the aluminum Topstones never had re-dished rear wheels, that was only the carbon that had suspension. My 2019 aluminum has a BSA b-bracket as well.
I think all carbon Topstones (even the non-lefty models) previously had the Ai offset frame design that required a re-dished rear wheel. Cannondale introduced a new carbon Topstone in April that has a standard rear triangle and a threaded BB. They still make the SuperSix Evo CX/SE with offset rear and pressfit BB's though it seems likely that those bikes will follow a similar path and go with threaded/standard geo.

That said, I own a 2020 SuperX with the offset rear and it's not really that big of a deal. I bought a new set of Zipp 303S wheels earlier this year - the shop I ordered them from was not a Cannondale dealer, and made a big deal about not wanting to dish them, so I took them to another shop (the one where I bought my Cannondale) and they did it in like 10 minutes and didn't even charge me. The main downside to Cannondale's Ai geometry is that you can't swap wheels between bikes, which is a fairly specific situation.
Old 08-03-22, 11:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I think all carbon Topstones (even the non-lefty models) previously had the Ai offset frame design that required a re-dished rear wheel. .
My reply was based on the thread title which indicated the AL - or Aluminum models, not the carbon. Did the early Carbon models with rear suspension use an aluminum rear triangle ?, I was not aware of that.
Old 08-03-22, 03:21 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My reply was based on the thread title which indicated the AL - or Aluminum models, not the carbon. Did the early Carbon models with rear suspension use an aluminum rear triangle ?, I was not aware of that.
Sorry for the confusion. When you said "with suspension" I assumed you were talking about the model with the lefty fork, hence why I clarified that it was "all carbon models". To clarify, all carbon topstone frames had/have the Kingpin setup, which allows the rear triangle to flex and provides some suspension travel. The design relies on flexy carbon chain stays and I don't think would work with aluminum, which is why the aluminum models are rigid.

The new Carbon topstone no longer has the Ai Offset, but still has the same Kingpin setup.