Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 08:15 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
After catching up on this revived thread, I have a question. These tires sound awesome, but I am wondering if the recent growth (no pun intended) of high volume tires has allowed other manufacturers catch up.

For example, I'm riding WTB Horizons (650x47) and they are awesome, but I'm also new to higher volume tires, so any large tire would probably be rocking my world right now. Would I see a huge difference in Compass/Rene Herse?

Just honestly curious. Happy riding!
Old 06-23-20, 11:26 PM
Wildcat445
El Gato

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Schwinn Hurricane (old)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet

I'm really glad you are satisfied so far. Please update us after a proper thrashing.
With all my issues as of late, it has to be Thrash Lite. I'm actually looking forward to getting out to a crushed limestone trail in a month or so and try the tires there.

These tires defy everything I ever knew about tires and inflation. The whole idea just seems so wrong on the surface but it works! I don't plan on any rugged terrain beyond limestone or gravel, but I do get a little concerned about the sidewall strength. I guess we'll see how it works out.
Old 06-26-20, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
After catching up on this revived thread, I have a question. These tires sound awesome, but I am wondering if the recent growth (no pun intended) of high volume tires has allowed other manufacturers catch up.

For example, I'm riding WTB Horizons (650x47) and they are awesome, but I'm also new to higher volume tires, so any large tire would probably be rocking my world right now. Would I see a huge difference in Compass/Rene Herse?

Just honestly curious. Happy riding!
You're right that going to a wider tire is one perceptible difference and going to a lighter tire is yet another perceptible difference. You've done one but not the other. If you use a light, large volume tire, yes, you will see yet another difference, but it's not possible to say for sure that you'd find it huge. Some people consider it huge, and some don't. But most of us here on BF are discerning, so you probably would.

On the other hand, @ascherer put some of these tires on his wife's bike. She's not a bike nut, and she said they made a huge difference.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-26-20, 03:17 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You're right that going to a wider tire is one perceptible difference and going to a lighter tire is yet another perceptible difference. You've done one but not the other. If you use a light, large volume tire, yes, you will see yet another difference, but it's not possible to say for sure that you'd find it huge. Some people consider it huge, and some don't. But most of us here on BF are discerning, so you probably would.

On the other hand, @ascherer put some of these tires on his wife's bike. She's not a bike nut, and she said they made a huge difference.
That all makes sense, thanks. I think they’ll be my next tires, but I have a few thousand miles before then.
Old 06-26-20, 07:31 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts

Yeah, she noticed right away, and thiose are standard sidewall Bon Jons. I have the extralights. By way of comparison, I built up a commuter/grocery schlepper and put Pasela Protite 35s on that and the difference to me is stark. But they were half the price on a bike that's for regular NYC work duty so I felt like it would be kind of a waste to put extralights on.

OTOH my Mercian is a stiff crit frame and still has skinny high pressure Michelin Pro Comp 4s I think, which are very supple, smooth tires. I enjoy that ride sensation, but when those go I'm going to have a reckoning of some sort. Maybe if I switch I'll enjoy riding it in the city more?

Likes For ascherer:
Old 06-27-20, 08:00 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve had a pair of RTPs on my vintage MTB for just over two years. Overall, they have really been a delight. A great ride and make the bike faster. Rough estimate of 2500 to 3000 miles on them.

I bought some Race Kings in January of this year and had been riding them on the MTB since our trails get soft and wet during the cool weather season. They felt a lot more stable on soft trail surfaces than the RTPs.

I finally put the RTPs back on this week since it was drier, and they definitely felt a bit faster than the Race Kings, which are pretty fast for knobby tires.

I was nervous about the rear RTP tire being so thin and having a bunch places where it had already been punctured. And yeah I flatted the rear tire first time out on a small bit a glass.

So, I put the rear RTP tire out to pasture this week. The front tire has yet to flat during that entire time and still hasn’t worn fully smooth in the center so I’m still going to ride it for a while.

I could have just put on another RTP in the rear, but I’m trying out a Continental Contact Speed 26x2.0 on the rear to see if it is qualitatively similar (fast, fun and light) but slightly more flat-resistant.

The Contact Speed is, of course, less expensive and also has a bit more of a protective layer. Still it seemed a very flexible carcass as I installed it and I rode the same route at the same vigorous pace I did the day before with RTPs on both wheels. Encouragingly, the ride felt about the same which is to say awesome.

So, we’ll see how it goes!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-27-20 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 11:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
@ojafen, I hadn't heard of the Contact Speed. It looks nice and priced reasonably. Maybe that would be ideal for my spouse in 700x37. She could use some faster, softer tires, but if she hears I put on a puncture-prone tire on and she gets a flat, she'll be annoyed. Tires like the Contact Speed are a breakthrough in combining puncture protection without much sacrifice in ride quality and speed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-27-20, 02:15 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
@ojafen, I hadn't heard of the Contact Speed. It looks nice and priced reasonably. Maybe that would be ideal for my spouse in 700x37. She could use some faster, softer tires, but if she hears I put on a puncture-prone tire on and she gets a flat, she'll be annoyed. Tires like the Contact Speed are a breakthrough in combining puncture protection without much sacrifice in ride quality and speed.
Bicyclerollingresistance says the 37mm Contact Speed is a couple of watts higher than the Bon Jon Pass. If I had to guess, I’d say the 26x2.0 version is a similar, small bit more than the RTP, but still very good. I’d be delighted if someone would actually measure those tires.

At the same time, the Contact Speed has somewhat better measurements for puncture resistance. So, we shall see if it continues to feel satisfactory on the rides and holds up well as far as flats go.

It may end up that I split the difference and keep an RTP in front and the Contact Speed in the rear.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-27-20 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-01-20, 01:49 PM
Wildcat445
El Gato

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Schwinn Hurricane (old)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm really glad you are satisfied so far. Please update us after a proper thrashing.

I just built up a Kilo WT with the 38mm Barlows. Same results. Tailwind = no exercise.
I hereby curse you further! Now I've been on some proper trails and these things defy everything I've ever thought about tires. I'm no pro cyclist by any means--I just plod along at my own pace. Still, these tires...

Your comment about tires just wanting to roll, and roll, and roll...that's exactly what I've run into. My better half rides a bike with larger tires (650B x 2.3") and can't go as fast, and I feel like I'm coasting more than I am pedaling. Even when I'm by myself and coasting, the speed doesn't trail off like it did with my other tires. With those, in fact, I could feel the drag increase when the pressure would drop from 100 psi to 85-90 psi.

I'm running 40 psi rear and 33 psi front and that seems to be my sweet spot, but other pressures change the hardness/softness and handling without altering the rolling resistance.

On crushed limestone, these tires glide over it. I don't feel every little thing on the trail--even small branches are only a minor blip I hardly notice. I also found I coasted a lot here too, which wasn't possible on the original tires.

On the paved asphalt trail yesterday, I broke out by myself for a few miles to confirm my speed improvements. I'm consistently able to maintain speeds anywhere from 2-3 MPH (even 4 MPH) higher than with the old tires. And I was able to get up to and sustain a faster speed easier than I've ever been able to in the past. It's not that my strength has improved; if anything, I've had very little time to ride this year so I'm still woefully out of shape.

These make the cycling pleasant again. And more rewarding since I can cover more ground with my efforts.

Now if I ever have to go bike shopping again, I have to make certain that whatever I buy will fit one of these Rene Herse tires.
Likes For Wildcat445:
Old 08-06-22, 03:38 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

I just built up a Kilo WT with the 38mm Barlows. Same results. Tailwind = no exercise.
​​​SquidPuppet , I know you haven’t been around almost 1.5 years, hope you are ok. Any updates on your Rene Herse tires experience? I’ve ridden Bon Jon Extralights for 6 years now, gone through 3 sets, about 4000 miles, 1 flat, 4 Eroica California (2 shorts, 2 medium routes). Very little problems.

Life is too short not to ride on nice tires.
Old 08-21-22, 08:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
I finally started running these tires tubeless, which has further elevated the experience to near hallucinogenic bliss.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-03-23, 06:26 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
They just got some more of my money.
The buying always hurts.
Then I ride them.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531: