Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crashed Today…

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crashed Today…

Old 08-13-22, 09:44 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
Crashed Today…

This morning I rode my free-ride bike out to Yoyogi Park in Tokyo for a 25km spin. Yesterday a typhoon rolled through the region, this morning the weather was perfect, though everything was wet. Having done a number of laps on the paved path, I headed off onto a dirt trail running through the trees. I was moving at a pretty good pace, somewhat down hill, when I bounced over some fairly big tree roots. They were slippery, and the ground was muddy, so I had a pretty spectacular fall at around 30kph. Luckily the ground was soft and my head quite hard, and I was able to ride away with a sore shoulder blade and a thick coating of mud. Hopefully I won’t be too sore to go out again tomorrow.

Luckily I seem to have made a full recovery from my case of COVID last month. My heart rate is back to normal, and I feel reasonably fit. I wish the climate was as nice here in Tokyo as it was in Hawaii, but it’s good to be home.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-13-22, 10:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I hope for a speedy recovery and no major injuries!!!
Old 08-13-22, 10:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Well, hitting your head is never a trivial matter. I hope all is well.
Old 08-13-22, 11:37 PM
50PlusCycling

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Well, hitting your head is never a trivial matter. I hope all is well.
Not even a bump on my head, but my shoulder and chest have tightened up, and taking a deep breath hurts, aspirin seems to be managing the pain. Oddly, it feels a little good to get a little banged up, it feels like being young again. Back in the day my life was pretty rough-and-tumble, though I expect it'll take me a little longer to recover than it used to.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-14-22, 10:14 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Oddly, it feels a little good to get a little banged up, it feels like being young again.
Proof of Life!
It's weird, that feeling of satisfaction after getting hurt. I had it too, and thought of the scene in North Dallas Forty when the two football players talked about this exact thing.
Old 08-14-22, 10:46 AM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Heal quickly!

…it could have been me. We too had slick trails recently, which I like to blast through on part of my ride (4 blocks or so of tight singletrack), but I had to bail over the bars elsewhere the other day when my wheel caught in a crack between some pavement and another hard surface which pinched the wheel and instantly stopped the bike. I hopped over the bars like a hurdler, out of clips/straps. Stuck the landing, but may have dabbed a knuckle on the ground in doing so, lol. I realize though, that at 64, It might have been far worse.
Old 08-15-22, 04:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,425 Times in 2,826 Posts
good to hear you came out of it with only mud.

Old 08-20-22, 11:08 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Thought I'd show my face here again, post Covid (we all wish) but I've avoided it fortunately. Hope you've all got through this.

But I can't avoid the crashes! I've had lots in the last few years, mainly on the cycle path, and lots of near disasters on the road.
The roads! Busier than ever; a new breed of driver proliferates. Youngsters, always in a hurry, driving Mercs and Beamers as well as those plying the cycleways on electric scooters, bikes, and even motorbikes, plying their trade swiftly and efficiently, avoiding the Police.
Intimidation is their game, and its no joke when you're getting on in years.
Yesterday I nearly bought it. Turning right onto a major thoroughfare road, nothing coming. I'd not completed my turn when I bacame aware of a red car, from the left, almost upon me. I turned out of his way, to meet another red car facing me. I stopped the bike amidst the blaring of horns. Both cars managed to avoid me.
Where did they spring from? Am i now seeing what's not there, and not seeing what is?
For the first time in my life, I find myself afraid to venture onto the roads where I live.
Thank goodness for spinning bike classes!
But it's great to get on a real bike - when its quiet!

Keep safe.
Old 08-20-22, 08:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Where did they spring from?...
Keep safe.
Do you have front facing and rear facing cameras?

A while back, while driving, I almost had an incidence with a pedestrian. I was facing west at around 7pm so the sun was in my eyes. But while I was stopped at the traffic light, I studied the curb and the crosswalk for any pedestrians. There were none. When I started my right turn, suddenly I had to slam my brakes for a pedestrian who was already right in front on the driver side of my hood. How did he get there?

I had an action camera I took off my bike and mounted on my dash. The next day, I studied the 30 seconds of the incidence over and over again to find out where he was all that time when I was studying the curb. It turned out, he was a few feet further from the actual pedestrian crosswalk and leaning against a lamp post. That's why when I was studying the curb, nobody was there.

Anyways, having a camera may help you with where you can check the next time or if it was unavoidable.
Old 08-21-22, 03:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
......................Oddly, it feels a little good to get a little banged up, it feels like being young again...................................
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Proof of Life! It's weird, that feeling of satisfaction after getting hurt. I had it too.
r.e. my bold ---- BE- Bovine Excrement !!! thank you very much. I'm approach 4th Tuesday since my incident and I ain't feeling any younger or satisfied from the FIRST MILI-SECOND following the crash

Originally Posted by peterws
...............................The roads! Busier than ever; a new breed of driver proliferates.Youngsters, always in a hurry, driving Mercs and Beamers as well as those plying the cycleways on electric scooters, bikes, and even motorbikes, plying their trade swiftly and efficiently, avoiding the Police.
Intimidation is their game, and its no joke when you're getting on in years............................But it's great to get on a real bike - when its quiet!..........................
DANG can't forget about the WILD HOGS that seem to have it in for me. Second hit in 2 years 3 months with both times time spent at the hospitals AND both times there were no vehicles on the roads 'cause it was 1:25am the first time and 3:06am the 2nd time.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-21-22 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-21-22, 04:21 AM
50PlusCycling

It’s been a week, and I am mostly recovered. The pain was pretty intense earlier in the week, I sneezed once and it felt like I had been shot (and I know what that feels like). The pain is mostly gone unless I reach up to get something off a high shelf. I’ll be getting out and riding as the weather allows, the worst of our summer heat and humidity here in Tokyo have passed, so it’s becoming nice to be outside. We’ll be headed up to the mountains in Ibaraki in September, it should be wonderful up there.

The WILD HOGS are a problem in the countryside here in Japan. Hunting for deer and wild boars used to be quite popular, but as all the younger people have moved to the cities and those who are still in the countryside are getting too old to shoot (except each other), there are getting to be too many deer and wild boars. There are now signs all over the countryside warning people about the boars, which are the most dangerous animals in Japan other than the bears up on Hokkaido.
Old 08-21-22, 05:00 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
This morning I rode my free-ride bike out to ...
What's a "free-ride bike"?
Old 08-21-22, 07:28 AM
50PlusCycling

We
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
What's a "free-ride bike"?
A dual-suspension mountain bike which fits between an enduro and a downhill bike. It has long-travel suspension, big axles, and is good for jumps, stunts, stairs, etc.

Here she is:

Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-30-22, 01:30 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
No one makes a full recovery after Covid. The damage done to the lungs and brain and other organs is permanent.

The U.S. Veterans Administration released a recent study that found that vets who had a Covid infection were twice as likely to die from all causes as those who have not been infected. This makes sense as the virus affects nearly every organ in the body.
Old 08-30-22, 04:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
No one makes a full recovery after Covid. The damage done to the lungs and brain and other organs is permanent.

The U.S. Veterans Administration released a recent study that found that vets who had a Covid infection were twice as likely to die from all causes as those who have not been infected. This makes sense as the virus affects nearly every organ in the body.
You have a specific reference to a specific study or news release for these statements? Seems to make sense that all Vets and all non-Vets are likely to die of some cause at some time.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-30-22, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Your example is exactly why my latest MTB purchase was a lightweight hardtail, not full suspension. I don't need to be going faster over rougher terrain when I make a mistake.

That said, I'm glad you're healing. Good luck.
Old 08-30-22, 10:59 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
In my own driveway

Not today but a couple weeks ago,while making and testing seat and handlebar adjustments on my brand new bike,when heading down my sloped gravel driveway,I clipped a planter with my pedal causing me to overcorrect and careen into my flatbed truck,throwing me off the bike and fully onto my shoulder. Hurt so frickin bad. X-rays showed nothing broken thankfully. Still hurts like hell to cough,sneeze,roll over in bed,etc. Glad to be retired and not stressing about missed work. Sucks to hurt though and one thing I’ve noticed as i’ve gotten older is that healing takes longer.6-7 mile rides are about all i can manage from discomfort for now. Puts a damper on some planned bikepacking too.

Last edited by Imaginos; 08-30-22 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 05:16 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Imaginos
Not today but a couple weeks ago,while making and testing seat and handlebar adjustments on my brand new bike,when heading down my sloped gravel driveway,I clipped a planter with my pedal causing me to overcorrect and careen into my flatbed truck,throwing me off the bike and fully onto my shoulder. Hurt so frickin bad. X-rays showed nothing broken thankfully. Still hurts like hell to cough,sneeze,roll over in bed,etc. Glad to be retired and not stressing about missed work. Sucks to hurt though and one thing I’ve noticed as i’ve gotten older is that healing takes longer.6-7 mile rides are about all i can manage from discomfort for now.
Ouch. But how's the bike?!!!
Old 09-01-22, 10:19 AM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
The bike was fine but the bar end mirror i’d just attached broke in pieces. Appreciate your concern for the bike 😂.
Old 09-06-22, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
large, slippery, tree roots & mud, at 18mph! yeeha!

was looking at body armor recently for shoulders, hips & knees. I don't want injuries to sideline my cycling
Old 09-06-22, 10:19 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Glad to hear you were not seriously injured. Might be a good idea to visit your doctor and just get a quick checkup / look over..
Old 09-06-22, 04:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Originally Posted by raqball
Glad to hear you were not seriously injured. Might be a good idea to visit your doctor and just get a quick checkup / look over..
Thankfully I am now back to 100%, no more pain, and back on the bike. I used my downtime to do some more upgrades, my old Giant is sporting a new crankset and BB. I’ll be doing some testing on safer trails today.
Likes For 50PlusCycling: