Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Technical Question : Ochsner - Campagnolo Freewheel upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 12:45 PM
KC007

Bikes: Tom Ritchey, hand-made fillet brazed, Prestige - Chromoly, Mountain Bike; Ochsner Road Bike (Columbus - Chromoly)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello Forum Members:

I have an Ochsner Road Bike (Columbus Tubing) with Campagnolo drop-outs and Campagnolo Record Hubs and derailleur says Nuovo Record that I need help with. I want a Campagnolo Freewheel that is compatible with my setup because my pulley wheels are cracking because of non-native Suntour Freewheel that is on the bike (currently). I found a beautiful NOS Vintage Campagnolo 6 speeds alloy freewheel 13/21 and trying to see if it will work with Campagnolo Record Hubs and Nuovo Record Rear derailleur (but the price is ridiculously high and I want to research as many options as I can find because I don't want to pay $595 for that Campagnolo 6 speeds alloy freewheel 13/21 !

Please help! Thanks!
Old 08-15-22, 01:17 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I own several high-end vintage bikes. I also work as a mechanic at a bike co-op and I service many older bikes every week.

As far as for riding, you do not want an old Campagnolo freewheel, particularly one of the alloy models. They shift poorly, come in very limited cog combinations, and are hideously expensive. The alu cogs... they wear out in a fraction of time of any inexpensive steel freewheel.

For actual riding, you want a Shimano MF-TZ510 6-speed freewheel. This will cost you less than $20, and shift much better than any vintage freewheel ever made. Mate this with a Shimano HG-40 or IG-51 chain (both $15) for crisp and quiet shifting.

Derailleurs: replace your cracked jockey wheels. An old Suntour derailleur will shift better than any pre-1990 Campagnolo derailleur ever could. Actually a new $20 Shimano rear derailleur will shift better than any old Campagnolo or Suntour derailleur, but they are heavy and ugly as sin.

You want superior shifting and ergonomics? Then bite the cost bullet and retrofit your bike with brifters such as Ergopower. I'll be running 8-speed Campagnolo Record from about 1995 today, and mechanical shifting has not been improved on since.
Old 08-15-22, 02:38 PM
KC007

Bikes: Tom Ritchey, hand-made fillet brazed, Prestige - Chromoly, Mountain Bike; Ochsner Road Bike (Columbus - Chromoly)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dave:

NOT ALL, but most of my setup is Campagnolo on the Ochsner (i.e., Cranks, derailleur, skewers, drop-outs on the frame - front & back etc.). I'm not going to put some ugly Shimano derailleur on my Ochsner, but I may settle
for a non-native Freewheel - I just have a budget on this project and tired of cracking pulleys on Nuovo Record derailleur. Perhaps I should look for a LOT of parts (i.e., Super Record derailleur \ Super Record freewheel or cassette).
Then the questions would be my Nuovo Record Cranks and if they would work with Super Record Freewheel / derailleur, etc ?? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 08-15-22, 02:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Cracked pulleys on old Campagnolo derailleurs were very common no matter what freewheel you used. My solution back in the day was to use Huret pulleys. Not only did they have adjustable ball bearings, they also never cracked. Your problem is not the freewheel it is the pulleys
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-15-22, 09:19 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by KC007
my pulley wheels are cracking because of non-native Suntour Freewheel that is on the bike (currently)
Just curious, how did the Suntour freewheel cause the jockey wheels to crack?
Old 08-15-22, 09:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I have only 4' from me a Sachs Aris 6 cog freewheel, new in box, that I would sell you for far less than a Campy one. 13/24 tooth range, Vastly nicer in material grade and cool factor than any current Asian version. Still won't shift as slickly as the Asian ones with their shift gates and dedicated tooth shaping. But if you want to keep the bike Euro a nice freewheel to consider. Andy
Old 08-15-22, 10:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...this thread is a duplicate (but possibly in a more appropriate place, of this thread in General Cycling: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...road-bike.html
Old 08-15-22, 10:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Before you dismiss Sachs, you should be aware that Sachs was tied to Campagnolo spacing.

Standard 6 speed cog to cog spacing for nearly every freewheel is 5.5mm. Standard 7 speed is 5.0mm. But for 8 speed Sachs cog to cog spacing is 5.0mm; which is the same as Campagnolo. Shimano and SRAM are 4.8mm.

Sachs also offered their branded (Campagnolo) Ergo shifters; at least until SRAM acquired them.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-16-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 07:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
John= I like to say that the Sachs FWs were everyone's 7 speed cog spacing (WRT an indexed system which the OP doesn't have) and offered an 8 cog option with the same spacing. They were the first brake lever located shifters I used and still do have some Sachs in service (although w/ Campy hoods and 9 cog index gear swapped for the OEM 8 cog one).

I'd love to find my box of Sachs FWS and cogs a home they will be appreciated at. Andy