Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Indexing Problem (?) on Shimano RD-9070

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-15-22, 04:04 PM
dgmor64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I bought a used Specialized Shiv that had been upgraded to Shimano DI2 9070 front and rear derailleurs. (External battery, shifters on the bull horns and Tri bars)

The drive train has always seemed quite noisy, mostly sounds like the chain is just not aligned right. I have replaced the chain rings, chain, cassette, derailleur hanger, and jockey wheels. I am running Zipp 404s with 11 speed hub.

Current Cassette CSR8000 and chain is CN-HG901-11 (I have also tried an Ultegra chain). Jockey Wheels are Dura Ace. I have confirmed the correct rotation for the chain and jockey wheels.

I have completely re-set up both derailleurs (hangers, limits, all adjustments). Cassette is tighten to correct torque using torque wrench. The LBS says they upgraded the firmware to the latest.

The RD9070 has 25 adjustment positions for fine tuning (indexing). When I first tried to adjust this, I discovered that it was already in the farthest outside (25th?) position. If I set the RD to the center postilion and try to set it up, I can not get it to work at all following the Shinamo instruction for installing and fine tuning the RD.

I am at at wits end here. I have tried all I can think of. LBS has not been much help. Seems like something is not aligned and no one can figure it out. I can get it tuned to the point where the middle gears are fairly quiet (acceptable) in both the large and small CR, but the low and high gears are noisy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-15-22, 05:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
has anyone checked the derailler hanger allignment?

Old 08-15-22, 06:37 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Although my adjustments are at the max too, mine is working fine. I'm surprised the LBS didn't dive deeper. They should have the Shimano PC application and could do a bit more troubleshooting. Outside of the wrong length of chain....

Try this site
https://bettershifting.com/
Old 08-15-22, 06:38 PM
dgmor64

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LBS told me the RD was out of alignment due to a bent hanger, which they then replaced, however I do not know if they checked the alignment after installing the new hanger.

so it’s possible that even with a new hanger the alignment could still be out?
Old 08-15-22, 06:43 PM
dgmor64

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The new chain was a fresh measure/cut, not based on the old chain length.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Old 08-15-22, 06:44 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmor64
LBS told me the RD was out of alignment due to a bent hanger, which they then replaced, however I do not know if they checked the alignment after installing the new hanger.

so it’s possible that even with a new hanger the alignment could still be out?
Yes
Old 08-15-22, 06:52 PM
dgmor64

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Yes
Thanks. I do not own that tool and that is not a process I am familiar with so I will ask LBS to check it. Perhaps they just assumed it was good after installing the new hanger.
Old 08-16-22, 10:27 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmor64
Thanks. I do not own that tool and that is not a process I am familiar with so I will ask LBS to check it. Perhaps they just assumed it was good after installing the new hanger.
If they did that, time to find a new mechanic.
All new hangers should be checked.

What Crankset do you have on the bike?

Barry
Old 08-16-22, 04:17 PM
dgmor64

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
If they did that, time to find a new mechanic.
All new hangers should be checked.

What Crankset do you have on the bike?

Barry
FSA SLK Light 52/36

Took the bike into same LBS today but got a different tech. Sure enough, the tech that previously installed the new hanger never checked it. The new Tech adjusted it then fine tuned the indexing and checked my other settings including chain length.
I ride in the morning so hopefully the noise will be gone.
Likes For dgmor64:
Old 08-18-22, 08:10 PM
dgmor64

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I rode yesterday and the noise was still there but the shifting was better after aligning the RD. So I removed the chain rings and examined every cog, I found 2 cogs that had little burrs on them, in two different spots. I used a small fine file to remove the burrs and even on the stand it sounds much better. Travel day tomorrow but will road test it on the weekend.

The chain rings arenot very old, no idea how those burrs got there, possible manufacturing defect?

Thanks to those that responded, I appreciate your input.

Dan