Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track vs Road sizing question

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track vs Road sizing question

Old 06-13-05, 08:39 PM
jreeder

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A track cyclist I know suggested that since I ride a 56 cm road bike, a 54 cm track bike would probably be the right size for me. You guys that ride both, is your track bike a size smaller than your road bike? Is this normal or do you ride the same size track and road?

I know that fit is a complicated subject, etc, etc, but I'm just looking for some broad ideas of what to start looking for.
Old 06-13-05, 08:49 PM
mcatano
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A "true" track frame will tend to have a higher bottom bracket (and hence a higher standover height) than a road/etc frame with the same seat post length. My road conversion is a 55cm and my track frame is a 53cm and the standover on each is pretty similar. Obviously it's going to vary wildly from frame to frame, but the 2cm rule seems to be a good starting point, if nothing else. At the very least, it's held true in my limited experience. Also, if you're ordering something sight unseen, it's probably better to err on the side of slightly too small, as you can always raise your seat or get a longer stem if you're feeling cramped.

m.
Old 06-13-05, 08:57 PM
80sMutRider
Lone Fixie

Bikes: Fixie/SS: Specialized "Langster", Hobo SS: Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On road bikes I'm a 54, and my fixie is 52, they both feel correctly sized. So I think that maybe the 2cm rule is true for most people?
Old 06-13-05, 10:39 PM
jreeder

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input guys. I have an opportunity to grab a 2003 Fuji Track Pro off of ebay for a pretty decent price but I just wanted to make sure that 54 cm was going to be close to a correct fit.

If it turns out not to work (I'm sure that won't be the case) then I can always just turn around and sell it.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-05, 10:45 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jreeder
A track cyclist I know suggested that since I ride a 56 cm road bike, a 54 cm track bike would probably be the right size for me. You guys that ride both, is your track bike a size smaller than your road bike? Is this normal or do you ride the same size track and road?

I know that fit is a complicated subject, etc, etc, but I'm just looking for some broad ideas of what to start looking for.
The -2cm rule is pretty good. It works for almost everyone and is the general rule when you're starting out on the track. Once you get some experience and decide to plunk your own cash on a frame, look for something that has a top tube 1cm shorter than your road bike. Set it up with a stem that's the same length as the one on your road bike. You can even go for a steeper drop if you like as well.

My own track setup goes like this. 57cm top tube, 100mm stem, 1cm bottom bracket drop, and a 19 cm drop from seat level to bar tops.

My road bike is 55cm seat tube, 56.5 cm top tube. 110mm stem, 27 cm bottom bracket height, and a 10cm drop from seat level to bar tops.

Just some numbers to fudge around with. I stick to short sprint events on the track and have short legs/long torso. To start with, try to mimic your road set up as close as possible.

taras
Old 07-08-22, 09:01 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
if following the -2cm rule do you not then have to jack your seatpost up 2cm to get your optimal saddle height? which I assume would be fixed whether road or track
Old 07-08-22, 09:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
if following the -2cm rule do you not then have to jack your seatpost up 2cm to get your optimal saddle height? which I assume would be fixed whether road or track
There is literally an active thread on this topic created less than a week ago but you had to go back 17 years to post in this thread? I am baffled it wasn't even a long running thread it went on for just a few hours back in 2005.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-09-22, 12:53 PM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts

Also...
this "rule" is fairly nonsensical as all seat tubes are not set identical angles and slacker or steeper angles change standover height a decent bit...
Likes For Bianchi pc:
Old 07-09-22, 01:08 PM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts

But yea - some set their fixed gear up with the saddle set to slightly lower than on their road bike but that's more of a seat post insertion issue than whole new framesize thing.