Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Old 05-20-22, 05:13 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto
do you mind me asking what the color is? I'm looking at Prismatic Copper Plus, it looks similar to this. I also like the wheels done to match.

Another case of cameras and monitors not reproducing a true color. It was Red Anno, which required a base coat which I think was silver. The rims were available in red from Ambrosio.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-21-22, 04:09 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts

From this..

to this...
Mark Rainey @ Groody Bros. did the frame,fork,and original Jim Blackburn rack, in Prismatic Volcan Blue with clear over the decals. Mark also added downtube braze-ons,another set of water bottle mounts, and spread the rear to 128mm so I can run either freewheel or modern. Mark does great work!
Old 05-22-22, 09:39 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn

to this...
Mark Rainey @ Groody Bros. did the frame,fork,and original Jim Blackburn rack, in Prismatic Volcan Blue with clear over the decals.

Chris Pauley Tierra

Twinsies!

(if you ignore all but the color theme of the frame, cables, and bar wrap )

Last edited by panzerwagon; 05-23-22 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-23-22, 03:39 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Originally Posted by panzerwagon

Chris Pauley Tierra

Twinsies!

(if you ignore all but the color theme of the frame, cables, and bar wrap )
Very nice!
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 05-23-22, 10:41 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Sending sloar 's Black Lightning and a Terry and a Rossin.
I've now seen him at 3 events, and his stuff is good. Nice guy.
What's neat, is he takes bikes to ride, so he and his wife walk the walk, too.

He has an XO-1 knockoff that's as good as the original, but looks better.

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Groody Bros. Bicycle Restoration
912 SE 44th St
Topeka KS 66609

They only powdercoat bikes, nothing else.
Old 05-23-22, 01:54 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Sending sloar 's Black Lightning and a Terry and a Rossin.
I've now seen him at 3 events, and his stuff is good. Nice guy.
What's neat, is he takes bikes to ride, so he and his wife walk the walk, too.

He has an XO-1 knockoff that's as good as the original, but looks better.
Mark is the man! He just got my Kellogg built Ross to do some magic...
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 07-06-22, 12:38 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
CV-6 TullySteve Here is the result of my project, Illusion Copper Plus done by Pike Powdercoating in Allston, MA.

Likes For rsacilotto:
Old 07-06-22, 01:08 PM
john903
john903

Bikes: Curtlo, CHE cos'e,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
I have one to add. I have used them once on a friends frame. $125.00. I have also had several parts done like racks in basic black and he just does them whenever he has a batch for others and it was $10.00. So if you are out here on the Peninsula and need powder coating your old Hotrod car, Motorcycle, C&V bike give him a call. And yes he is very careful with the frames knowing they are usually thin material. It is nice knowing he takes care of handling your frame.
Dog House Powder Coating
503 S. 3rd st. Sequim, WA. 360-681-5412.
Likes For john903:
Old 07-07-22, 04:02 PM
hihik

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto;[url=tel:22565599
22565599[/url]]by Pike Powdercoating in Allston, MA.
How much was it and how long did it take?
Old 07-07-22, 04:54 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hihik
How much was it and how long did it take?
$375 and 8 days. A bit expensive, but I've had two bikes done there and both came out great.
Old 07-07-22, 04:59 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
I've been meaning to post on this thread, finally had a sunny day off to take some pictures. This Univega Gran Sprint was done by a guy named Cameron who is friends with the owner of the LBS I work at in New Orleans. He's a former bike shop owner who has his own fabrication and paint shop. No business information as he mostly subcontracts for the film industry in town, but PM me if you'd like his phone number. He charges $150 to media blast and powdercoat a frame and fork, including acetone bath, masking, and cost of powder from powderbuythepound. He also has a dip tank for frames that have already been powdercoated. Turnaround is about two weeks depending on what else he's working on. Check out the definition on the thinned lugs.

I had him do another frame in gloss black and he wasn't happy with the finish, so he offered to redo it for free or give me half off, a deal I was happy to take on a bike I plan to flip. Excellent guy.
Is this person still in business?

Can Clear coat be sprayed over powder coat?
Old 07-07-22, 07:04 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by john903
I have one to add. I have used them once on a friends frame. $125.00. I have also had several parts done like racks in basic black and he just does them whenever he has a batch for others and it was $10.00. So if you are out here on the Peninsula and need powder coating your old Hotrod car, Motorcycle, C&V bike give him a call. And yes he is very careful with the frames knowing they are usually thin material. It is nice knowing he takes care of handling your frame.
Dog House Powder Coating
503 S. 3rd st. Sequim, WA. 360-681-5412.
Thanks for that. At those rates and that recommendation, I might have to make the trek out there if I need powdercoating!
Old 07-19-22, 04:07 PM
Sean Rothar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
These were done by Powdercoat Man.

This is really beautiful

Do you know the name/number of this blue? (the forum won't let me quote the pic)

About to get a frame done at Pike Powder in Allston, MA

THanks

--Sean
Old 08-16-22, 09:55 PM
MoreCarbs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugie
You don't, mostly because this is extremely rare, and powder coat will cover mistakes. In addition, this might be an issue if the frame was very thin walled (0.5-0.6mm wall thicknes, IMO). Something that thin would not be a production frame, and more likely to be wet painted by a reputable painter.

Personally, as long as you use someone that's used to powder coating bike frames and has a good track record, you're good.
If we seek out places that advertise primarily on the automotive side, but express willingness to work with bicycle frames, what stipulations or requirements should be expressed to them?

I assume there shouldn’t be any powder coating on the threads or press fit areas like headset and bottom bracket, anywhere else like dropouts?
What about blasting media types? Are certain ones okay to remove rust on threads, seat tube inside, and bottom bracket shell?

If successful, happy to expand the OP list with new shops.
Old 08-17-22, 10:53 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by MoreCarbs
If we seek out places that advertise primarily on the automotive side, but express willingness to work with bicycle frames, what stipulations or requirements should be expressed to them?

I assume there shouldn’t be any powder coating on the threads or press fit areas like headset and bottom bracket, anywhere else like dropouts?
What about blasting media types? Are certain ones okay to remove rust on threads, seat tube inside, and bottom bracket shell?

If successful, happy to expand the OP list with new shops.
I've found that leaving the faces of horizontal dropouts "raw" is a good idea. Hubs and quick releases tend to slip more on powder coated surfaces. It's not a big deal if they don't mask, as it's easy enough to carefully file off powder coating on those faces.

As far as blasting media goes, I've used a half dozen powder coaters, and I always ask that question. They seem to be all over the place, but I can tell you that none of them use crushed walnut shells or other organic material as it can leave an oily residue, which would then require a solvent to remove. From what I gather, I think it's more important to control how you're media blasting. Pressure, distance and angle are things to consider. Note that I'm not an expert on it, just feeding you what I've heard from various powder coaters. And no, I don't know what pressure, distance and angle that should be used.

I would not media blast inside the tubes, and definitely not media blast threads. All threaded surfaces should be masked, but again, it's easy to run a tap to clean these up if your coater misses some. I always face and chase BB's and head tubes, and run taps through all threads before rebuilding from a raw frame, regardless of whether there's new powder coat or not.

If anybody's willing to try a powder coater that hasn't done bicycles in the past, let me know how it turns out and I'll add them to the list.
Old 08-18-22, 06:52 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by m.c.
Can Clear coat be sprayed over powder coat?
Yes it can, but most powder coaters aren't set up to do so. One I know farms it out, I think Groody Bros. does it in house. If you're decaling after powder coat it's worth the extra cost to clear coat over them.

This one has a clear coat over decals

Old 08-18-22, 09:00 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Color Factory / Bruce Riseley

I believe he is in New Jersey

he did a number of frames for a friend
Old 08-18-22, 08:59 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
https://www.jrpwracing.net/powdercoating/
https://www.jrpwracing.net/speed-shop-scholar/
phone 706-863-1206 , fax 706-863-1928, contact person: Jimmy Rivers
one of the e-mail contacts there: jrpracing@gmail.com
business is located at: 200 ROSE STREET, MARTINEZ, GEORGIA 30907
( they are located approximately 7 miles WEST of Augusta National Golf Club.....JRPW (Rose Street) is just off Washington Road, behind CSRA CAMPERLAND RV SALES, near CAROLINA POTTERY before you get to Bobby Jones Expressway....... in the area between Davis Road and Bobby Jones Expressway, just about a 1/2 block south off of Washington Road in Martinez GA, where you'd be 7 miles WEST of AUGUSTA NATIONAL GOLF CLUB which is at 2500 Washington Rd, Augusta GA 30904)
Old 08-28-22, 12:35 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Yes it can, but most powder coaters aren't set up to do so. One I know farms it out, I think Groody Bros. does it in house. If you're decaling after powder coat it's worth the extra cost to clear coat over them.

This one has a clear coat over decals

Thanks. I thought about having it powder coated and then put my decals on and clear coating it myself or having a body shop clear coat it. The issue is the prep work, I believe I have found a powdercoater that will strip the frame, the body shop will not. I'm going to be moving soon so everything is being put on hold and my bike stuff is getting packed away.
Old 08-29-22, 04:36 AM
mtbikerjohn 

My latest project..1981 Ross Signature touring frame by Tom Kellogg. Once again,Mark Rainey does excellent work.
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 08-29-22, 03:40 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn

My latest project..1981 Ross Signature touring frame by Tom Kellogg. Once again,Mark Rainey does excellent work.

Got my frame & fork today!
Old 02-10-23, 12:49 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
As an update, Santiam Powder Coating is done for. They closed shop about a year ago and since then, I've been trying and trying to get Roy to do one, single frame for me even though his phone messages says, "we are NOT doing business any longer". He strung me along for a few months, then after 3 or 4 messages and emails without replies, he stopped. And so did I. Maybe he'll be back one day but as of right now, this is not a viable powder coating solution.
Old 02-10-23, 09:53 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
Forever Powdercoat, Olympia Washington

Investment cast seat lug with fastback seatstays.

Mark added René Herse Cycles mounts for Mafac centerpull brakes.

Overall view of the frame. The fork is still wrapped up!

Cast dropouts with internal rear derailleur cable routing retained.

I got my 1985 65cm Trek 660 Rando project back from Forever Powdercoat 3 weeks ago. Purchased from RiddleofSteel and modified by Gugie.

Single color powdercoat for $337. It would have been cheaper but I lost the powder I bought and had intended to supply myself…🙄
Old 02-10-23, 10:01 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
As an update, Santiam Powder Coating is done for. They closed shop about a year ago and since then, I've been trying and trying to get Roy to do one, single frame for me even though his phone messages says, "we are NOT doing business any longer". He strung me along for a few months, then after 3 or 4 messages and emails without replies, he stopped. And so did I. Maybe he'll be back one day but as of right now, this is not a viable powder coating solution.
Thanks, updated.

A viable option for you maybe to drive up to Portland and have Jason at CC Coatings do it for you. Page 1 of this thread has the link.
Old 02-10-23, 10:12 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Thanks, @gugie. I went a different direction with the build, which I think is a better fit.
As for CC Coatings, (Formerly Class Act), back when I was living in Portland, I got mixed reviews. Norther Cycles said they "were good but quality control dropped so we sourced elsewhere". But then Cooper Cycles stated he used them for solid, straightforward work and had excellent results. I did hear that they had a powder + clear option and were able to mask decal areas, which is fascinating if true. Though I'm not sure the validity of any of this.
Nice to know this is an option for a short drive!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.