Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Epic dump find... now what do I do with it?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Epic dump find... now what do I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 12:33 PM
Velogoth

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
If the headshok system is working properly, or can be salvaged and serviced to do so , it would provide more joy than a frankenstein fork swap. I rode one of those bikes for a few months and actually liked it a lot compared to my rigid steel Paramount MTB.

Cannondale built that bike properly back in 1998 . It will still perform as good today as it did in 1998. It wont equal a new Cannondale in performance - evolution has taken place -- but it is a high end bike for its time and can support going anywhere any other hardtail could go
This is the plan! I can't help but dream about what could be done with any bike. However, my true love is bikes that were excellent in their time but have been made obsolete solely due to the machinations of marketing departments. If this bike was great in 1998, why is it not a great bike today?

I can understand the sport changing, and people wanting different types of bikes to ride different terrain in a different way, but the trails near my house have the same rocks and roots that they did when people drooled over this bike.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-24-22, 06:44 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Cool find and cool thread.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-24-22, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yes..."Back in the day" when that's all that existed. Not so much compared to what he have now. Kind of like back in the day all the cars had drum brakes. Now we have disc brakes.

Maybe it was harsh of me to say leave it at the dump. I know I personally would have not brought that home nor do I ever go scavenging for stuff at the dump. But maybe if the OP doesn't ride it, it could be donated to a local neighborhood kid.
I will argue for old XT. I have two old XT derailleurs (7 and 8 speed) running 9 speed quite nicely and yes a little more vintage but shifts like a freakin' dream. Maybe a notch down from my XT 11 speed but on par with my actual 9 speed XT rear.

I get it is vintage stuff but it is acres better than the modern stuff of that number of speeds and honestly for the average rider not a bad way to go. Having a vintage bike in the stable is fun sometimes. I love my high end bikes, Di2 is awesome, Rohloff E-14 awesome all that sort of stuff but it is fun to just have a bike to mess around on.
Old 03-26-22, 12:48 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth;[url=tel:22449169
22449169[/url]]I know nothing about mountain bike geometry, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I got an adapter headset and changed the fork out I wouldn't be limited to 26". Theoretically I could change to a 27.5 or even 29er front wheel kind of like cyclezen did above, right? I have no idea how that would affect handling, aside from the increased BB height.
Search the web for "cannondale headshock rigid conversion". Looks.like it's feasible but not entirely straightforward.

However, if the headshock is still functional, maybe try it first? I agree with what others have written, that this bike would be better for gravel-type riding than for MTB trails. (That's true of any MTB from that era! Modern MTB geometry is very different.)

Getting some nice non- or at least less knobby tires will really help. I'm a very big fan of René Herse' 26" x 2.3" Rat Trap Pass tires, but anything similar should also be nice.
Old 03-27-22, 10:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You shouldn't try to convert this into a 2022 bike. There's just too many differences. Most of the new differences are good, bikes are easier to use and ride more easily more places... except new bikes are way heavier and more expensive!

However it's a great bike for its year and as good as it ever was at anything it once did. If this has the premium version of the head shok with all air and oil, no polyurethane foam, you should be able to set it for your weight (and then set about using it to lose some).

However I disagree with the hot take that it's only good for dirt roads now, or that gravel bikes are just like old MTB's. It's a solid MTB, the kind that was used for everything except downhill. Gravel bikes are ruggedized road bikes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-27-22, 06:48 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman

I agree with what others have written, that this bike would be better for gravel-type riding than for MTB trails. (That's true of any MTB from that era! Modern MTB geometry is very different.)

I dont . ITs a mountain bike. A couple of us have noted that our local trails havent really changed that mucg in 20-30 years in some cases. These bikes are what we rode
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-28-22, 07:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I dont . ITs a mountain bike. A couple of us have noted that our local trails havent really changed that mucg in 20-30 years in some cases. These bikes are what we rode
We also used to wreck a whole lot more back then.

Bikes were designed like that because people just didn’t know any better. I remember well thinking that a 135mm stem, 560mm bar, 71 deg head angle all sounded like a good idea.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-28-22 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-28-22, 07:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
This bike is interesting for what it is: An old classic mtb. IMO, trying to modernize it with a different front end in an attempt to make it a better mtb is a waste of money and of the bike, IMO.

If what you want is a better mtb, start with a more modern bike. The problem with this bike is not the components, it is the geometry.
Old 03-28-22, 08:51 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
We also used to wreck a whole lot more back then.

Boy - you hit the nail on the head there !

In my case, and being 50 now with a ton of old injuries -- but for me i wonder if thats more a function of being in my 20's and trying to push the limits everytime the trail angled slightly downward and attempting to achieve lift on almost any bump, stump or creek crossing. Today i have a far more capable machine, but i also ride it much more cautiously. Quite a conundrum
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-28-22, 12:23 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I was looking to snag a pair of v-brakes off of a bike at the dump for a project... and then I realized what the brakes I was looking at were attached to. This is a 1997 1998 Cannondale F2000 CAAD3. The dump attendant said someone had just dropped it off because they "hadn't ridden it in 10 years".

It's the right size for me, and there's nothing wrong with it other than normal wear & tear for its age BUT:
1. I'm not really a mountain biker.
2. At 280lbs I think I'm too heavy for it. This is a light frame, and I've read that the headshoks aren't a good fit for heavy riders.

So, do I sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for? Should I have the headshok serviced before selling?
Do I part it out on ebay?
Am I too heavy for it? Do I keep it for singletrack/occasional rides with friends?

Thanks in advance!
Very good catch. If the Headshok is working (?) I'd keep it for sure.

Maybe loose a couple of pounds, or ...

Just keep it as your gravel bike. Perfect for that. I'm not that far behind you weight wise and I just rebuilt a V-500 with a Headshok for my granddaughter. Yeah, if I don't preload it for my weight and pump up the Fox Shok it's a bit too springy. But yours will be much more forgiving on most surfaces with solid stays
Old 03-29-22, 12:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I had some pretty nice hardtails in that era and I took them some wild places.

If I had this back then, I would have likewise taken it wild places.

Any bike that comes specd with XT/XTR is going to have pretty good components everywhere else. It’s a great bike.

It’s old school though, the sport has fundamentally changed, I would not expect this bike to perform well in what the modern definition seems to be (gravity driven and aerial).
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-29-22, 04:07 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I was looking to snag a pair of v-brakes off of a bike at the dump for a project... and then I realized what the brakes I was looking at were attached to. This is a 1997 1998 Cannondale F2000 CAAD3. The dump attendant said someone had just dropped it off because they "hadn't ridden it in 10 years".

It's the right size for me, and there's nothing wrong with it other than normal wear & tear for its age BUT:
1. I'm not really a mountain biker.
2. At 280lbs I think I'm too heavy for it. This is a light frame, and I've read that the headshoks aren't a good fit for heavy riders.

So, do I sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for? Should I have the headshok serviced before selling?
Do I part it out on ebay?
Am I too heavy for it? Do I keep it for singletrack/occasional rides with friends?

Thanks in advance!
that was top of the food chain in the day.
enjoy
Old 05-01-22, 08:17 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Why don't people drop off such descent bikes to thrift shops so hopefully the needy will find more healthy transportation?
Self-absorbed, careless, throwaway society lacking in consideration of those in need and the amount of completely useful stuff they throw in the landfill as waste.
Old 05-02-22, 09:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Self-absorbed, careless, throwaway society lacking in consideration of those in need and the amount of completely useful stuff they throw in the landfill as waste.
Yes. We are heathens.
Old 05-02-22, 10:16 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I educated the attendants at the landfill about quality bikes they should be diverting. Turned into a treasuretrove for me. Great pickup.
Old 05-02-22, 12:03 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yes. We are heathens.
A good number probably, but nothing wrong with that. Being self-absorbed, ignorant, and wasteful, however, does very real damage, regardless of making jokes about it.
Old 06-23-22, 05:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Is there a delete/workaround for the Headshock that makes it just a regular setup?
Old 06-23-22, 05:35 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Wow! I should be so lucky.

I agree with those who say tune it up, swap tires if needed, and then ride it.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 06-25-22, 11:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Is there a delete/workaround for the Headshock that makes it just a regular setup?
There was but finding a good suspension fork for 26” with V bosses and QR isn’t that easy either any more.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-29-22, 04:21 AM
Gaz_

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Great Score!
Old 06-29-22, 07:24 PM
KF2M

Bikes: Schwinn AL Comp/Modded

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Great find! I'd clean, and tune it up then ride it. I've been eyeing Craigslist for a diamond in the rough though I think the wife will kill me (or wearing it as a bowtie Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd style) if I snagged another bike. No room in the garage as it is.
Old 06-30-22, 07:39 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
wow great find Velogoth !
Old 06-30-22, 07:40 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There was but finding a good suspension fork for 26” with V bosses and QR isn’t that easy either any more.
used old-school 26" forks are available

many will require service though of course
Old 06-30-22, 07:47 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I will argue for old XT. I have two old XT derailleurs (7 and 8 speed) running 9 speed quite nicely and yes a little more vintage but shifts like a freakin' dream. Maybe a notch down from my XT 11 speed but on par with my actual 9 speed XT rear.

I get it is vintage stuff but it is acres better than the modern stuff of that number of speeds and honestly for the average rider not a bad way to go. Having a vintage bike in the stable is fun sometimes. I love my high end bikes, Di2 is awesome, Rohloff E-14 awesome all that sort of stuff but it is fun to just have a bike to mess around on.
agree - old 7 and 8 spd XT (etc) stuff works well and is very durable
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-30-22, 07:58 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by scubaman
Getting some nice non- or at least less knobby tires will really help. I'm a very big fan of René Herse' 26" x 2.3" Rat Trap Pass tires, but anything similar should also be nice.
in addition - a few less expensive options to the Compass or Rene Herse tires include Panaracer Pasela 1.75, Maxxis DTH 2.15 / 2.3 and Schwalbe Billy Bonkers 2.15 (although the DTH and Bonkers are not inexpensive)

attached pic of a bike with DTH 2.15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.