Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How to dismount a loaded tour bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How to dismount a loaded tour bike?

Old 07-25-22, 07:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Back when I was younger and rode tandem a lot, I learned to swing my leg over the handlebars. This avoided kicking my wife in the teeth swinging my leg over the back, which was recommended to be avoided.

If you're in the market for a new touring bike, you might look for a bike with a lowered top tube. Just one example: Velo Orange Polyvalient Low Kicker

Load carrying + ease of mounting/dismounting are some of the issues Dr. Alex Moulton addressed with his bikes, starting in 1962 and continuing through today.
Old 05-16-23, 04:18 PM
EqualizerRiding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Important to stay active and flexible with age. Even if it means giving up that diamond frame. Mixtes have a lower top tube, are easier to mount and dismount, which means you can go larger size for a more stable and compliant ride. And they make great commuter, cruiser, tourer bikes. The Windsor Kensington has a nice ride quality and is a great value at < $600 but may not be suitable for heavy duty touring. Rivendell Bicycle Works is a good option if price is not of concern.
Old 05-16-23, 04:55 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I'm with TCS. My Rock and Road has drop bars and I kick my right leg forward and over the handlebars.
Old 05-16-23, 05:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I can either hold the bars and kick the leg over the seat, or hold the seat and kick the legs over the bars.

I'll have to practice a bit, but it is easy enough to throw the leg forward and mount with a rear load.
Old 05-16-23, 05:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
If there isn't a bag on the rear rack or a seatbag, I throw my leg over. Otherwise, if the toptube is sloping, I lift my leg over the TT. If it is a big bike and classic TT, I lean the bike to the left and lift my right leg over, being careful not to raise my kilt.
Old 05-17-23, 05:58 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
My wife has a Dutch touring frame that is a "women's frame. I have e built a few frames and am considering making a similar frame in my size. BTW weboth have 26" wheels.
Old 05-17-23, 10:59 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
serious problems....
Old 05-18-23, 09:29 AM
2wheelsgood@no

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use a different bike?

I tour on a mountain bike frame, 27.5 inch wheels. Changed the tyres to low rolling resistance ones, slightly improved the gearing, and it works great. The geometry gives a lower top tube than standard touring frames, so easier to get me leg over.. (which is all I get me leg over these days.. oh, the joys of aging)
Old 05-18-23, 12:31 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
All these ideas help. I have bad knees and lower back (which cycling makes feel better after a relaxing ride!) so lifting my right leg up and over is tricky. Often I will find I can slip the bike into a small ditch and put my left foot on an area which is a bit higher. Even then i tilt the bike and have to be really swift mounting and dismounting. Using the curb sometimes works as well.