Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bought a Mountain Bike Today

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-22-22, 01:15 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts

Actually a used mountain bike. I’m spending a month in Honolulu and had been getting around on the Biki rental bikes which are all over the area. But the rentals are only 3 speeds, and the hills around the city are too steep for the limited gearing. I shopped around for cheap bikes with enough gearing to get me over the hills, and for riding on the grass and sandy trails, and came across what appeared to be a solid bike at a local bike shop.

The bike was a Giant AC-1, a 2002 model or so with the old Marzocchi Shiver fork, Fox air shock, Hayes hydraulic disk brakes, and a mix of XT/XTR components. It was cheap, and after taking it on a 25km ride I found myself enjoying the hell out of it. Hopefully on Monday I’ll be able to ride it out to Hanauma Bay park.

The bike has a good ride, the headset angle is a little steep, but I like how the bike handles. The suspension system was easy to dial in, and its a damn good riding bike. My only issue so far is the rear brake “shuddering.” The rotors have a bit of surface rust which might be the problem.

Anyway, this is the first mountain bike I have owned in this millennium. I’m not sure if I will leave it in Honolulu in my condominium, or take it back to Japan with me, we’ll see how the next couple weeks go.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 07-22-22, 04:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
This thread is useless without pics!
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-23-22, 09:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Freeride bike, nice!

I find myself confused how mountain biking works in Hawaii. Isn't everything privately owned? Is there some framework to get permission or is each place different
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-23-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-23-22, 12:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Is the Shiver a single crown or double crown?
Old 07-23-22, 01:20 PM
50PlusCycling

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is the Shiver a single crown or double crown?
Single crown. I’ll post some photos later today.
Old 07-23-22, 01:26 PM
50PlusCycling

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Freeride bike, nice!

I find myself confused how mountain biking works in Hawaii. Isn't everything privately owned? Is there some framework to get permission or is each place different
Most of the empty land in Hawaii seems to be government owned, the military is everywhere here.

But there are lots of trails. Oahu MTB Trails
Old 07-24-22, 03:14 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Actually a used mountain bike. I’m spending a month in Honolulu and had been getting around on the Biki rental bikes which are all over the area. But the rentals are only 3 speeds, and the hills around the city are too steep for the limited gearing. I shopped around for cheap bikes with enough gearing to get me over the hills, and for riding on the grass and sandy trails, and came across what appeared to be a solid bike at a local bike shop.

The bike was a Giant AC-1, a 2002 model or so with the old Marzocchi Shiver fork, Fox air shock, Hayes hydraulic disk brakes, and a mix of XT/XTR components. It was cheap, and after taking it on a 25km ride I found myself enjoying the hell out of it. Hopefully on Monday I’ll be able to ride it out to Hanauma Bay park.

The bike has a good ride, the headset angle is a little steep, but I like how the bike handles. The suspension system was easy to dial in, and its a damn good riding bike. My only issue so far is the rear brake “shuddering.” The rotors have a bit of surface rust which might be the problem.

Anyway, this is the first mountain bike I have owned in this millennium. I’m not sure if I will leave it in Honolulu in my condominium, or take it back to Japan with me, we’ll see how the next couple weeks go.
yeah, beautiful island.

it may be best to leave it in your condo and then buy one in Japan. best of both worlds.

what's mountain biking like in Japan? is it popular or just minor niche?
Old 07-24-22, 03:53 PM
50PlusCycling

Originally Posted by Duo
yeah, beautiful island.

it may be best to leave it in your condo and then buy one in Japan. best of both worlds.

what's mountain biking like in Japan? is it popular or just minor niche?
It’s very popular, mountain biking is doing better in Japan than most other places. Most of Japan is mountainous, and most people live in the cities. The countryside is pretty empty, and getting emptier as the older people die off, and the younger people move to the cities. There are trails all over the country, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, Japanese people are enthusiastic about anything they can do outdoors. Unfortunately, this means the more famous trails can be pretty crowded.

I like Hokkaido and Okinawa. Hokkaido is large, with very few people, and has amazing scenery. Parts of Hokkaido have become popular with “foreigners” mostly Australians, Canadians, some French and Brits, and a few Americans. The food is amazing, there are lots of places to stay, and it’s easy to get around if you speak English. Okinawa is not as pretty a place, the buildings are all concrete and ugly (because of frequent typhoons), but the beaches are every bit as good as the best here in Hawaii, and it’s easier to drive in Okinawa.

There are trails in Chiba, Saitama, Izu, Nagano, and other places within driving distance of Tokyo.

I ride a road bike in Tokyo, these are smooth, safe, and there are many scenic routes which are not at all crowded. I’m supposed to go to Ibaraki next month if I ever get out of Hawaii.
Old 07-24-22, 07:58 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
It’s very popular, mountain biking is doing better in Japan than most other places. Most of Japan is mountainous, and most people live in the cities. The countryside is pretty empty, and getting emptier as the older people die off, and the younger people move to the cities. There are trails all over the country, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, Japanese people are enthusiastic about anything they can do outdoors. Unfortunately, this means the more famous trails can be pretty crowded.

I like Hokkaido and Okinawa. Hokkaido is large, with very few people, and has amazing scenery. Parts of Hokkaido have become popular with “foreigners” mostly Australians, Canadians, some French and Brits, and a few Americans. The food is amazing, there are lots of places to stay, and it’s easy to get around if you speak English. Okinawa is not as pretty a place, the buildings are all concrete and ugly (because of frequent typhoons), but the beaches are every bit as good as the best here in Hawaii, and it’s easier to drive in Okinawa.

There are trails in Chiba, Saitama, Izu, Nagano, and other places within driving distance of Tokyo.

I ride a road bike in Tokyo, these are smooth, safe, and there are many scenic routes which are not at all crowded. I’m supposed to go to Ibaraki next month if I ever get out of Hawaii.
wow, ok i totally misjudged Japan, never been there or Hawaii. don't think i would wanna leave any of those places living in the cold midwest.

it just seemed to me that mountain biking was mostly an american thing until reading your post, so interesting that it has a foot hold in Japan too. probably the rest of asia, europe, et al are in on it too.

you have a good problem LOL concerning your mtb, i just use a bunch of bikes of all kinds and think nothing of it. getting too old now for my mountain bikes but i keep them anyway, they almost never go bad if you use the Hard Tail MTB as your machine; mine still rides fine from the 80's. been thinking about putting on some city slicker tires on them for a more versatile use.

blessings.

Edit, another thing that interests me about Japan is their agricultural ways, the smaller farms and tractors. i hope it stays that way as it seems that the quality should be very good. i think we can learn from 'you all'.

Last edited by Duo; 07-24-22 at 08:02 PM.