Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Have Not seen the right hook in awhile.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-04-22, 09:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

Anymore cars wait for me/ us to pass then turn but once in awhile you get this.

Old 08-05-22, 05:07 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Sorry, but that's not a right hook - you passed on the right, he didn't pass you and then turn into your path. That was on you, the driver did nothing wrong.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 08-05-22, 06:26 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the light was red, you were supposed to stop behind him, no?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 08-05-22, 08:21 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
That wasn't a right hook. You suddenly undertook the truck at an intersection.

Turn to page 17: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/programs...ist-manual.pdf

Do not pass on the right unless the person driving slows down or stops and communicates they see you. Ride at a reasonable speed, and scan carefully for turning vehicles.
The Google Maps street view indicates that the righthand lane is a bike lane, but I had to go back a quarter mile to find the painted marking. Simultaneously, however, that lane disappears abruptly as soon as you cross the intersection into the Walmart entrance. Why would you unpredictably shift lanes only for the second lane to end seconds later?
Old 08-05-22, 08:46 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the light was red, you were supposed to stop behind him, no?
or get out front so I can be seen. the light turned sooner then I expected and he started going with no signal. so I was watching but usually people on this turn are farther to the right. but I would not have dashed to beat them through the intersection,
Old 08-05-22, 08:51 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
or get out front so I can be seen. the light turned sooner then I expected and he started going with no signal. so I was watching but usually people on this turn are farther to the right. but I would not have dashed to beat them through the intersection,
true, he did not signal. but i don’t believe you’re allowed to split the lane / pass on the shoulder or parking lane unless safe to do so, which is certainly a gray area here !

if it was a bike lane, different story, he can’t enter it to turn unless you’re not already there, which you sorta were.
Old 08-05-22, 08:55 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by JW Fas
That wasn't a right hook. You suddenly undertook the truck at an intersection.

Turn to page 17: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/programs...ist-manual.pdf

The Google Maps street view indicates that the righthand lane is a bike lane, but I had to go back a quarter mile to find the painted marking. Simultaneously, however, that lane disappears abruptly as soon as you cross the intersection into the Walmart entrance. Why would you unpredictably shift lanes only for the second lane to end seconds later?
I would not have passed him I was too far behind to do that. I was planning on getting in front with the red light but it changed sooner than usual. I was slowing down when he started to go just incase. I have to get onto the sidewalk and pus the button if I miss the light so I go over out of habit its a short light.
Old 08-05-22, 08:56 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I generally wait my turn and do not sneak up or pass vehicles waiting for the light and I especially do not go into their blind spot.

Lesson learned?
Old 08-05-22, 09:29 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
I'm always having to deal with Right Hooks, so much so, I'm pretty good at avoiding them. The one major thing I do to counteract, is to take-the-lane behind the vehicle(s), even in roadways with heavy, fast-moving traffic.

This is why I see having a mirror so vital to my staying safe on the roadways. This way I can make a split-second decision to slam the brakes or take the lane, which I prefer, because I can maintain most of my momentum and I exercise my right to the road. I Don't let motorist take advantage of me, but at the same time I'm not being overly aggressive in exerting my rights to the road.

Old 08-05-22, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Didn't look like a bike lane to me. Maybe it was. Perhaps the driver would be found at fault if there had been any damages. However it also might be viewed that you came up on them at the very last moment and it was unavoidable. But since there apparently wasn't any injury or property damage, then just be glad you only had a close call.

I'd have stayed behind the last vehicle in that line and waited my turn. At least since I don't know if that is in fact a bike lane you were in.
Old 08-05-22, 10:50 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by mschwett
true, he did not signal. but i don’t believe you’re allowed to split the lane / pass on the shoulder or parking lane unless safe to do so, which is certainly a gray area here !

if it was a bike lane, different story, he can’t enter it to turn unless you’re not already there, which you sorta were.
ya he was so far over to the left that I did not think he was going to turn. but that could have been the trailer. this light always turns before we can get through it and it wont catch the bike anymore. on a tandem its a pain to get off and go push the button.
Old 08-05-22, 10:54 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Didn't look like a bike lane to me. Maybe it was. Perhaps the driver would be found at fault if there had been any damages. However it also might be viewed that you came up on them at the very last moment and it was unavoidable. But since there apparently wasn't any injury or property damage, then just be glad you only had a close call.

I'd have stayed behind the last vehicle in that line and waited my turn. At least since I don't know if that is in fact a bike lane you were in.
thats what I usually do. if he was more over to the right I would have figured he was turning.but I always expect such to happen so I watch closely. but in the last few Years what I see now and happened this morning is a car will slow down or sop and let me pass them before they turn . that makes things awkward as you think do they actually see me?
Old 08-05-22, 11:14 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Truck was exactly in the center of his lane. Whatever bike lane there was ends there it looks like.
He had to wait for the truck in front. His window was open, so that's the place to RING a bell. It does look like either he didn't see or was ignoring you.
Maybe also expecting you to follow behind in that situation. You were 50 feet behind the trailer when the green came.
But yah, he didn't signal. Bad form.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-05-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-05-22, 12:18 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
Whoops, I didn't realize there was a video of this incident, I thought I was just looking at a still shot.

My recommendation would be to just take-the-lane and follow the other vehicle(s) thru the intersection in that scenario. I'm not sure if that was a bike lane, but in my opinion it doesn't matter (and this is just in my experience here, I can respect it may be different in other areas).

I still take-the-lane when I'm in a bike lane, because there are simply not enough cyclists in my area for drivers to be on the look out for cyclists in the bike lane as they're preparing to make a right.

If I can maintain the speed of traffic, I take-the-lane.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I never look for turn signals anymore, I just assume they're going to turn. People just seem to have stopped using turn signals around here. What's funny is when they turn on their turn signals as they're already in the turn

Last edited by work4bike; 08-05-22 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 01:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I generally wait my turn and do not sneak up or pass vehicles waiting for the light and I especially do not go into their blind spot.

Lesson learned?
I always do. I think I expected a for him to go straight and b for me to get the red light and I would wait. thats why I had slowed down. on this corner i always head to the right so I can push the button so i can cross. I never get the light if I am not there when the light turns green. I think too is I thought he was at the light I did not see a car in front so I did not know he had to go a bit to turn.
Old 08-05-22, 04:22 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I always do. I think I expected a for him to go straight and b for me to get the red light and I would wait. thats why I had slowed down. on this corner i always head to the right so I can push the button so i can cross. I never get the light if I am not there when the light turns green. I think too is I thought he was at the light I did not see a car in front so I did not know he had to go a bit to turn.
I just figure they are all out to kill me. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I know one of them will get me eventually. Nobody around here uses turn signals because it impedes their texting. (sarcasm)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-06-22, 05:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Anymore cars wait for me/ us to pass then turn but once in awhile you get this.

https://youtu.be/ssHRbixBxhE
Just one of several good reasons I most often avoid filtering right.
Old 08-08-22, 04:52 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Just curious: if all of this is true, then why the original post?

"Have not seen the right hook in awhile." "Anymore cars wait for me/ us to pass then turn but once in awhile you get this."

Your original post doesn't seem to agree with anything else you've posted in this thread.