Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello From Sunny San Diego

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 12:17 PM
GFS

Bikes: Schwinn Moab 2, Schwinn 354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
Gordon Here. Just your standard mid 50's guy getting back into cycling after a long lay off and about 30 extra pounds of added weight. Currently own a Too tall for me Schwinn 354 (bought it new when I was young and dumb. Now just dumb ) and a recently bought Schwinn Moab 2. Re-discovering my love of cycling (had a sweet Schwinn Super Le Tour in college that I used extensively) and have slowly been using the Moab to retrain the leg muscles. Starting my quest to find a correct sized Schwinn 354 (Need a 21" or 23", have a 25"). Better bikes probably exist for less money but I'm stubborn in that I want that darn 354.

Other eccentricities I can claim: R&D Mechanical Engineer for day job, in the defense business, Enjoy older technology (Tube radios, Heathkits, Tektronics Oscopes, manual lathes), mechanical "thingys" (gears, shafts, levers, cams are SO wonderful), electronic stuff (even though I'm such a newbie at it), Artistic drawing (still gotta take a class for that), and very, very dry sense of humor. Cursed with a inquisitive mind and an OCD level of precision and detail (but that comes in handy in the profession).

Thank You for your time, Gordon

Last edited by GFS; 08-06-22 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 08:53 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome

Old 08-06-22, 10:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
howdy! see ya out there!
Old 08-07-22, 09:53 AM
GFS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ooga . Since you seem to be in my neck of the woods, any beginner's bike clubs you can recommend? Thanx! Gordon
Old 08-07-22, 11:23 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
have never ridden with any of them in two decades + of cycling so can't personally recommend a specific one or handful.
the one i see out and about the most around the county is san diego bicycle club (sdbc) but i do a vast majority of my
riding during the week-not on the weekends. this site has a listing of approx 40 clubs...dunno how up to date the listing is
tho:

Bicycle Clubs in San Diego County, California
Old 08-07-22, 11:54 AM
eftim

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
welcome here! hope you will enjoy this place - its very friendly with not much argue (which is surprising for a forum...)
Old 08-08-22, 10:53 AM
GFS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
have never ridden with any of them in two decades + of cycling so can't personally recommend a specific one or handful.
the one i see out and about the most around the county is san diego bicycle club (sdbc) but i do a vast majority of my
riding during the week-not on the weekends. this site has a listing of approx 40 clubs...dunno how up to date the listing is
tho:
Thank You for the link ooga. Most Appreciated. Gordon