Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 08-22-22, 12:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Too hot.

I'm leaning towards Pittsburgh, but I'm also thinking Lancaster PA. Milder winters than Pittsburgh. Closer to The Ancestral Home, so it's more what I'm used to, geographically.

I really think Mrs. GJ has totally forgotten what winters Back East are like, especially the winters in Western New York. She is somewhat concerned about the whole "Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, with Alabama in between" aspect to Pennsylvania, but I think she over looks the extent to which New York is The City on the one hand and Upstate on the other. Maybe not so Alabama-ish as PA, though. I suspect the results of the coming election may swing her one way or the other on PA.
What are your thoughts on the Pacific Northwest?
When you mentioned Poughkeepsie I went on Realtor.com, just for giggles. Seems some of the houses are saddled with property tax rates over 2%.
Old 08-22-22, 12:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What are your thoughts on the Pacific Northwest?
Expensive and rainy.
When you mentioned Poughkeepsie I went on Realtor.com, just for giggles. Seems some of the houses are saddled with property tax rates over 2%.
It's one thing I look at. Last year I was looking at a house that was something like $250K, but the taxes were $9K/ year - which seems like madness!

Rates are higher there, but property is much cheaper. I don't want to pay more than I am now, obviously.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-22-22, 12:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The other thing is, I think Mrs. GJ is going through the "Oh, look at this cute old house! Don't we want to live there?" phase, which I'm mostly past. We used to joke about our flat in The Richmond in SF that it had "charm", by which we meant "Nowhere near enough electrical outlets" - but, I mean, it was built in 1929. Two double outlets in a 12'x25' living room probably seemed extravagant!

It was always fun when I turned on the power amp and the lights flickered as the capacitors charged up......

Old 08-22-22, 01:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,270 Times in 3,458 Posts
Ashville is not hot by any measure. It's warm season is only 4 months, and the hottest month is July with an average high of just 82. The average high for all 4 months is just mid-70s.

Beautiful area.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-22-22, 01:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mrs. GeneJockey is no longer fixated on Poughkeepsie. She talked again with the friend whose daughter went to Vassar, who said it was an okay place to got to college, but wasn't so enamored of it as a place to live. So now she's fixating on Buffalo. That's right - Buffalo. When I point out to her that the average winter snowfall in Buffalo is SEVEN FEET, she just waves it off. When I point out that it's probably a bad place for someone whose Mother suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, she says she got a full-spectrum light to take care of that. She was telling one of The Boys that her best friend from High School lives there, he asked, "Are you still in touch with her?"

"Well, not so much recently," she replied.

I think I need to let this burn out without too much opposition. I personally am feeling more comfortable with the idea of Pittsburgh. It does seem to be doing a lot better than a lot of Rust Belt cities, probably because it took the hit earlier, like in the 1980s, and has bounced back. The population dropped from 1970 to 1990, but has been largely stable with a very small decline since. Buffalo has been on a much steeper decline and it's not done yet.
Yeah I wouldn't waste energy nixing places that she'll likely move on from in time anyway.

And you're correct on Pittsburgh - it's doing much better than most of the region, driven in part by UPMC and CM. I'm a strong believer that schools drive relevance in the modern economy.

I mean, I wouldn't want to move there, especially to retire, but it sounds like the climate isn't an issue for you two.
Old 08-22-22, 01:08 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
I tend to get heel strike on the left side. But I'm wearing NB walking shoes, with a much softer sole than your road shoes. The paint issue has entered my mind, but I'm relieved to find it's not an issue, especially on steel bikes
Old 08-22-22, 01:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The other thing is, I think Mrs. GJ is going through the "Oh, look at this cute old house! Don't we want to live there?" phase, which I'm mostly past. We used to joke about our flat in The Richmond in SF that it had "charm", by which we meant "Nowhere near enough electrical outlets" - but, I mean, it was built in 1929. Two double outlets in a 12'x25' living room probably seemed extravagant!

It was always fun when I turned on the power amp and the lights flickered as the capacitors charged up......
That's what I grew up with in an old farmhouse in CT. Never again.
Old 08-22-22, 01:13 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

I have enjoyed Pittsburgh every time I've visited. I used to sell tie-dyes there, frequently, during the late 80s and early 90s. We learned to make Ukrainian Easter eggs at one of those festivals. I once took a check from Mrs. Jack Ham. Rubbing elbows with the rich and famous.
Old 08-22-22, 01:16 PM
Mojo31
-------

Old houses are old houses. Waaaay to much maintenance and repairs.
Old 08-22-22, 01:18 PM
seedsbelize2

Buffalo, on the other hand, is way out in no man's land, iirc. Have you considered Youngstown, Ohio?
Old 08-22-22, 01:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Too hot.

I'm leaning towards Pittsburgh, but I'm also thinking Lancaster PA. Milder winters than Pittsburgh. Closer to The Ancestral Home, so it's more what I'm used to, geographically.

I really think Mrs. GJ has totally forgotten what winters Back East are like, especially the winters in Western New York. She is somewhat concerned about the whole "Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, with Alabama in between" aspect to Pennsylvania, but I think she over looks the extent to which New York is The City on the one hand and Upstate on the other. Maybe not so Alabama-ish as PA, though. I suspect the results of the coming election may swing her one way or the other on PA.
As above, Asheville is not as hot as you think it would be. Pitt has lots of hills. Lancaster County is kinda flat but on the plus side, the riding there is pretty good and it's safer because motorists are conditioned to be patient with slow moving vehicles.
Old 08-22-22, 01:25 PM
big john

Expensive and rainy.
I would need something cheaper than this house but it could be had for about the same as I now pay in rent. Also, all of the Norhtwest isn't rainy, and there isn't 7 feet of snow.
Carson, WA Single Family Homes for Sale | realtor.com®
Old 08-22-22, 01:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Old houses are old houses. Waaaay to much maintenance and repairs.
There are SOME things I like about old houses.

The Ancestral Home has thick brick and cinder block walls, rather more outlets than you might expect for being built in 1935, and hot water radiator heat. It's really solidly built, so it doesn't creak like a lot of older houses, and it's quiet despite being on a fairly busy street (a lot of trucks take Rt 234 as a short cut between Rt 34 and US Rt 30). In the winter the house is evenly warm without drafts, and in the summer stays comfortable with a relatively small number of window AC units.

So, old isn't necessarily bad, BUT the house has to have been well built in the first place. A lot of them, the build quality is a lot higher than the dreck that's being thrown together today. But, yeah. A whole lot of old houses are a whole lot of maintenance.

Old 08-22-22, 01:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
I would need something cheaper than this house but it could be had for about the same as I now pay in rent. Also, all of the Norhtwest isn't rainy, and there isn't 7 feet of snow.
Carson, WA Single Family Homes for Sale | realtor.com®
Carson is still kinda rainy. Just a few miles to slightly drier White Salmon, home of Everybody's Brewing. Even drier if you head to Goldendale, not a whole lot going on there, though.
Old 08-22-22, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

One thing we both looked at was a thing on where will you be safest from Climate Change. The consensus seems to be the Mid Atlantic States and New England. Then Mrs. GJ saw something about how Buffalo wants to remake itself as a climate change haven. The thing is, it's Ground Zero for Lake Effect snow, and warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, which means potentially EVEN MORE snow. And it's heavy, wet snow, too.

Old 08-22-22, 02:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Carson is still kinda rainy. Just a few miles to slightly drier White Salmon, home of Everybody's Brewing. Even drier if you head to Goldendale, not a whole lot going on there, though.
A quick look and White Salmon is quite a bit more expensive than the few houses in Carson. I just randomly picked Carson because I was looking for something more rural and spread out.
I'd like something around $200k with enough space to avoid loud neighbors. Sick of being hot, would like to not be as hot as it is here. Don't mind some rain or a little snow. Don't need to be near a city.
Actually wouldn't even mind staying here if the rent was less. It's already a great deal and he could get a lot more. We're just lucky he doesn't seem to care.
Old 08-22-22, 02:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Tre colore tire levers alert! 20 sets to break the free shipping threshold. I guess I should see if they have any helmet deals instead of buying 20 sets.

https://cambriabike.com/products/vit...s-italian-flag

Old 08-22-22, 02:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

One thing we both looked at was a thing on where will you be safest from Climate Change. The consensus seems to be the Mid Atlantic States and New England. Then Mrs. GJ saw something about how Buffalo wants to remake itself as a climate change haven. The thing is, it's Ground Zero for Lake Effect snow, and warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, which means potentially EVEN MORE snow. And it's heavy, wet snow, too.
You'll be dead long before the climate changes enough to get you.
Old 08-22-22, 02:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,828 Times in 3,708 Posts
I will remind my daughter that she made the right decision by not entertaining an offer to play softball at the University at Buffalo.
Old 08-22-22, 02:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You'll be dead long before the climate changes enough to get you.
Define "get".

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-22, 02:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A quick look and White Salmon is quite a bit more expensive than the few houses in Carson. I just randomly picked Carson because I was looking for something more rural and spread out.
I'd like something around $200k with enough space to avoid loud neighbors. Sick of being hot, would like to not be as hot as it is here. Don't mind some rain or a little snow. Don't need to be near a city.
Actually wouldn't even mind staying here if the rent was less. It's already a great deal and he could get a lot more. We're just lucky he doesn't seem to care.
20 acres with a quonset hut and a bulldozer for $234k. Last year Goldendale may have been both hotter AND colder than where you are now, though
It'll cost a decent amount to run electricity to the hut unfortunately. And having a driveway on HWY 97 probably isn't much fun sometimes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...19054155_zpid/
Old 08-22-22, 02:29 PM
big john

20 acres with a quonset hut and a bulldozer for $234k. Last year Goldendale may have been both hotter AND colder than where you are now, though
It'll cost a decent amount to run electricity to the hut unfortunately. And having a driveway on HWY 97 probably isn't much fun sometimes.

I was thinking about a house, actually.

"has the attached deteriorated 5th wheel"
"Homemade septic system"
Old 08-22-22, 02:33 PM
Mojo31
-------

Define "get".
Kills you.
Old 08-22-22, 02:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

That's some high cotton shiz right there.
Old 08-22-22, 02:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I was thinking about a house, actually.

"has the attached deteriorated 5th wheel"
"Homemade septic system"
That place is really starting to grow on me. I'd want to totally scrap the living quarters they built in there, looks like maybe 7' ceilings with even lower beams, yuck. I have no idea what it would cost to have that trailer hauled to the dump, $1000 maybe? And yeah, I'd totally go with a proper septic setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.