Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 09-05-22, 01:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.
I had a friend in front of me get a rear flat and he spew his stuff all over me. Let's just say the sophomoric jokes were flying.
Old 09-05-22, 02:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,986 Times in 4,452 Posts
I had a friend who was obsessive about the cleanliness of his bike, like if it got wheel spray during a ride he would have to clean it off. One time I ran over a ketchup pack and it squirted on his bike. If looks could kill....
Likes For big john:
Old 09-05-22, 02:40 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3163 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
It is shocking how clueless people are about flat repairs. I ride with a very experienced touring cyclist, when he visits in March each year. He knows what he's supposed to do, but is not good at it. We were discussing something about doing it at home and he made it abundantly clear that he would do no mechanical maintenance unless it was absolutely necessary.
I remount tires with a lever and rarely have issues. You just have to know where the tube is, and don't go about it ham-fisted.
Occasionally I have to use a lever for the first bead.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 09-05-22 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-05-22, 03:07 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS

Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.
Mariners first round pick this year is a kid I know (from our school district; he was a few years behind my youngest kid)

a kid from nearby district my youngest played against was the Giants first round pick in 2021
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-05-22, 03:14 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Good friken weekend! 3 awesome rides. Didn't get called in to work even though I'm on call, my favorite!
Blue is giving me problems with the rear mech. A week ago it started dropping the chain and shifing was like dropping the cutlery drawr. I put a new chain on a month ago because it wasn't shifting well. Thursday night I put an actual Sram chain on, it didn't help. Tried a different hanger, no effect. So I swapped to a different cassette. Now it's acceptable. I have no idea what changed. The place in its adjustment where it upshifts the best has a place where the downshift won't perform on 7th gear. It just chatters. So I am running in a compromise position, adjustment wise. I am going to try a different cassette, same gearing different manufacturer. So strange, it was flawless.
Old 09-05-22, 03:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, cool. I remembered that you were pretty upset, because you thought that the bibs were toast, but it's nice to hear that they eventually came clean.
Yep, they were new and the Orange Seal people basically said, "sorry." They said to just keep soaking and hope for the best and it kept getting better with each wash until you couldn't tell anymore.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-05-22, 04:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?

A 1938 Oldsmobile front tire? The Titanic? A sinus infection?
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 09-05-22, 04:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Close enough. Kitchen faucet got loose/wiggly and very tough to access under the counter and behind the sink. I had to be a contortionist but was able to get it done.
That is one unpleasant job! The worst part for me is facing the 10 yr accumulation of crap in the cabinet.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-05-22, 04:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

And why did my fender get destroyed the last working day before the first rainy workday in months?
Old 09-05-22, 04:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
So, last week I observed that we had had an exceptionally temperate summer. Me and my big mouth.

Yeesh.
Yesterday it was about 97-98 at the peak, but right now, with the humidity at <20%, there's not a lot to slow the temp rise. OTOH, when the sun gets lower, there's very little to keep the heat in, so it cools down into the 60s overnight.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-05-22, 04:34 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts

Welcome to spring. First snow setting on the ground for a couple of years.
Likes For gnome:
Old 09-05-22, 04:49 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
And why did my fender get destroyed the last working day before the first rainy workday in months?
How did your fender get destroyed?
Old 09-05-22, 04:55 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Speaking of rainy weather, we've received about 3.5" over the last two days. It's been off-and-on all day today so I finally just said screw it - so long as it's not raining at the start if I get wet then I get wet.

Got to climb Paris in the rain which is always such a treat. Just took it easy and enjoyed the coolness and dark misty turns. I will say that descending in the wet on rim brakes is a bit unnerving

One of the best results of the day was how well the new chain lube I'm using worked. I switched to Silca Super Secret a few weeks ago and I was super happy with how quiet everything stayed even through a thorough soaking and grimy roads, plus a quick wipe off at the end of the ride was all it took to clean up.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 09-05-22, 04:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by abshipp
How did your fender get destroyed?
Sucked up a stick with the front wheel. It was a beautiful, expensive, and brittle bamboo fender and snapped clean off at the lower strut.
Old 09-05-22, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Sucked up a stick with the front wheel. It was a beautiful, expensive, and brittle bamboo fender and snapped clean off at the lower strut.
And you're too good for duct tape, eh?
Old 09-05-22, 05:07 PM
big john

Better than having it lock up the front wheel. Happened to a friend once.
Old 09-05-22, 05:15 PM
big john

Originally Posted by abshipp

One of the best results of the day was how well the new chain lube I'm using worked. I switched to Silca Super Secret a few weeks ago and I was super happy with how quiet everything stayed even through a thorough soaking and grimy roads, plus a quick wipe off at the end of the ride was all it took to clean up.
You could start a thread in the 41 or General. People really seem to love discussing chain stuff.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-05-22, 05:21 PM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, last week I observed that we had had an exceptionally temperate summer. Me and my big mouth.
Yesterday it was about 97-98 at the peak, but right now, with the humidity at <20%, there's not a lot to slow the temp rise. OTOH, when the sun gets lower, there's very little to keep the heat in, so it cools down into the 60s overnight.
We're into the second week of over 105 but the sucky part is it stays hot at night. Supposed to be 107 by noon tomorrow so we hope to be finished with our ride by 11ish.
Old 09-05-22, 06:01 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
too hot to ride…. but drivetrain and bike thoroughly cleaned and new drip-waxed chain installed.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-05-22, 06:07 PM
big john

Originally Posted by mschwett
too hot to ride…. but drivetrain and bike thoroughly cleaned and new drip-waxed chain installed.
Too hot to work on a bike. I cleaned the bathroom today at 11:00 and the sweat was running onto my glasses. Reminded me of when I used to work.
Old 09-05-22, 06:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And you're too good for duct tape, eh?
Didn’t think to go back for the free fragment, but yes.

Originally Posted by big john
Better than having it lock up the front wheel. Happened to a friend once.
This set had those breakaway tabs, which actually might have saved me some maxillofacial surgery one time. Unfortunately, they didn’t save the fender.
Old 09-05-22, 06:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Too hot to work on a bike. I cleaned the bathroom today at 11:00 and the sweat was running onto my glasses. Reminded me of when I used to work.
it was “only” 88 here. but that’s about 13 past my comfort zone.
Old 09-05-22, 06:48 PM
big john

Originally Posted by mschwett
it was “only” 88 here. but that’s about 13 past my comfort zone.
I'm ok up to 95, after that it sucks to ride or work outside.

Watching a bunch of houses and ranches burn in Hemet on the news. Very sad.
Old 09-05-22, 07:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
I spent a bit of time installing new smoke detectors. Our old ones are all the 9v battery type, so these new ones with 10 year internal batteries should be an improvement. Apart from that, I walked the dog, washed the car, spent a fruitless half hour taking Mrs. GJ to Urgent Care about her ankle, which doesn't seem to be better.

Now I'm just waiting for the outside temp to drop to 90, because that's about where the house is now.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-05-22, 07:04 PM
abshipp 

You could start a thread in the 41 or General. People really seem to love discussing chain stuff.
My one ride experience counts as objective evidence, right?
Likes For abshipp:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.