Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPD-SL cleat interference with shoes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-07-22, 07:42 PM
timsch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9C PDG, Specialized Enduro Pro (2002)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I just bought some SPD-SL cleats for my SIDI shoes. The bolt pattern matches, but there is a bit of interference with the cleat on the back corners with a 2mm raised section of the shoe bottom. I can either file off the corners of the cleats where they hit, or I can remove the plastic area from the shoe. I'd rather remove from the cleat, but if that can cause problems with their function, then I'll go after the shoes. Which do you recommend? If I don't remove some material, the rear screws won't engage.

Fit of pedal

Interference @ back corners

~2mm step up @ corner
Old 09-08-22, 09:39 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
I'd say Dremel away the bit of the shoe that's interfering. I've done that on shoes before.

Cleats are designed to work as-is, there's no telling what could go wrong if you start reshaping them.

Alternative: buy a longer mounting screw.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-08-22, 09:48 AM
timsch

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'd say Dremel away the bit of the shoe that's interfering. I've done that on shoes before.

Cleats are designed to work as-is, there's no telling what could go wrong if you start reshaping them.

Alternative: buy a longer mounting screw.
That was my concern. Dremel it is. If I bought longer screws only, I think i'd have issues with it mounting out of alignment due to the interference.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-22, 09:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Yeah, cut away the shoe. Your next cleat will have the same issue. (Cleats are consumables. My shoes go through a half dozen or more of those plastic ones.) Don't even think about going to longer bolts. Yes, they will get you riding but as you put weight on the cleat, the cleat will settle in and loosen the bolts. So you add a few tightening turns. And eventually bottom out on the bolt holes. But you will eventually need more and if you forget, you either seize the screw or break the socket to shoe attachment/bond.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-08-22, 07:44 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
You need the SIDI piece that fits in the cavity between sole and cleat. It used to be provided when the shoes were purchased
Old 09-08-22, 08:16 PM
timsch

Originally Posted by Davet
You need the SIDI piece that fits in the cavity between sole and cleat. It used to be provided when the shoes were purchased
It's been many years since the Sidi's were bought, so if I had it, it's long gone. An angle grinder took care of my problem in no time flat, and left me with even less weight than an insert.