Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Biking pants

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Biking pants

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 09:55 AM
HendersonD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Biking pants?

I am starting a Transamerica tour on May 5th going east to west. I have padded bike shorts but am looking for something to go over the top of them on colder days or mornings. Right now I have a pair of Saucony jogging pants that I am using. They have the zippers at the bottom of each leg making them easy to get off and on over shoes. They are wind and water resistant but I am still not sure they are the best pant for 4,200 mile tour. There are times I will be in towns on colder days or even overnight where a pair of pants would come in handy
  • One or two pairs of pants for a tour like this?
  • Any recommendation on brand/types of pant to consider?
Old 03-28-22, 04:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I often wear some athletic pants over bike shorts. The best ones fit reasonably close to tight, you do not want a lot of flapping in the wind. If the right side fits tight enough near the ankle that you do not need a strap to keep it out of the chain, that is great. The ones I have and frequently use for riding around near home, I bought over a decade ago, I doubt they are still sold.

I bought some bike touring pants that had zip off legs about eight years ago, they work great, but their price skyrocketed and I would not buy them today, so I would not recommend them at the current price. The ones I have, I only use them for bike touring, I do not want to waste them on riding near home, instead I save them for what I bought them for.

I bring regular camping pants (convertible with zip off legs) for wearing in the campsite or in town sight seeing.

There have been a lot of colder days where I put on my rain pants, not for rain but just because they are one more layer for warmth.

If you get out to the Rockies and you want something warmer, buy some long underwear at that time. Or, bring some bike leg warmers that go from just above the bottoms of your shorts to your ankles.

If you have a leather saddle, the leather dyes can get in your bike pants or shorts, that is why historically (decades ago) everybody wore black bike shorts. And black is still common, although not as uniform as it was. But if your saddle is not leather, then that is not a factor.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-28-22, 04:21 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've done a number of tours with REI convertible pants:
REI Co-op Sahara Convertible Pants - Men's | REI Co-op

These dry quickly and work pretty well in town; if I were camping on top of a ridge, I might need more.

Note I also take either knee warmers (short tours, forecast doesn't look bad for next week) or tights to ride in. And on really cold mornings, the convertible pants on top of tights is warm enough around camp until I start riding. So that's sort of two pants, but I would not take blue jeans or two pairs of non-riding "town pants" because of the weight.
Old 03-29-22, 02:01 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
....If you have a leather saddle, the leather dyes can get in your bike pants or shorts, that is why historically (decades ago) everybody wore black bike shorts. And black is still common, although not as uniform as it was. But if your saddle is not leather, then that is not a factor.
jinkies! after all this time, i dinna know this!

i always thought we wore black because after adjusting a dropped chain or changing a tire, we wipe our greasy, oily fingers on our thighs. any color other than black will get dirty. black shorts stay clean forever.
Old 03-29-22, 02:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
jinkies! after all this time, i dinna know this!
Due to some bad planning and bad timing, I rode a century that I had been planning to ride for months, but did not have a chance to go home first, had been traveling for about a month. I rode with a pair of khaki color cycling pants, I had been using them as my campsite pants. I assumed my Brooks Honey color saddle that I had used for over five years would not be a problem, but after the century I looked like I had crapped in my pants. I did not even know how bad I looked until I got home and took them off.

That was almost a decade ago, at that time non-black cycling shorts were most unusual. But now a lot of pro teams are using non-black since their saddles do not leach out the dyes and biking fashion is slowly following the lead set by the pros, you see more non-black bike shorts now.
Old 03-29-22, 04:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
1.leg warmers for riding during chillier times. Those and rain pant if you are bringing them will likely be enough. Arm warmers are also handy when it’s too warm for a full jacket.

2. Convertible pants for off bike activities. I use Columbia brand myself. I also take a very light base layer from REI if it might be chilly. In camp I will often wear that and the pants with the legs zipped off. The pocket space can be useful, especially if you need to walk into town for something. The base layer is also good for sleeping in.

It's maybe an earlier version of this:

REI Co-op Lightweight Base Layer Bottoms - Men's | REI Co-op

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-29-22 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 05:52 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
When I started touring in the 70s, I used the old cotton/nylon blend warm ups suits and leg warmers. By the end of the TA, the pants were filthy but I was a teen so didn't care . Plus I was not affected by the cold as much.

Now, I hate riding in cool/cold temps which for me is anything under 70*. Yes, I know. I am a wimp; but a warm wimp. Anyway, if I believe I will be needing to keep the legs warm for most of the day on lots of days, i.e. when fall or early spring touring, then I bring a pair of biking tights with a pad. If I think I will only occasionally wear them, say a couple of hours before it warms up, then I bring WOOL leg warmers. IMO, wool leg warmers are much better since they keep you warmer when wet, they don't begin to smell even after an extended time of using them, and most importantly, I just think they are warmer. I would guess they add a good 20* or more of temperature comfort depending on the climate conditions. The downside to them are they are bulkier and heavier but I just do not enjoy riding if I am cold. If it gets really cold or wet, I just add my black Frogg Toggs rain pants but they do need a leg cuff strap when riding in them as they are a bit baggy. They add a good 15* of temperature comfort. If at home, I just don't ride.

For camp pants, I use a lightweight pair of nylon pants, usually something like Ex-Officio pants or similar. They are lightweight, compact, and even somewhat dressy but are not as warm as others. But they do not provide much in the way of additional temperature comfort. If it gets cold (less than 50*) I will wear my rain pants around camp. You do need a cuff strap when riding in them though as they are a bit baggy.

Tailwinds, John
Old 03-29-22, 06:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I've always brought a light pair of long pants, light coloured, not tight (dark attracts mosquitoes etc more) for bug protection, cool evenings and for off bike activities.
I also bring tights that I wear often when riding when it's cool and or for sleeping.
I also bring rain pants.

Could I eliminate the long pants? Sure, but I like a pair of regular looking pants on long trips, very handy for off bike stuff which along with a light button down shirt sleeved shirt is very versatile for looking and feeling non bikey --nice on a really long trip.

My pants are one piece, I'm not crazy about zip offs, but be aware of the huge difference in weight between these types of pants. Some are twice as heavy and the volume of others.

Kinda last minute on choosing your clothing for a long trip, but I get it, We've all been there.

With all clothing, I'd prioritize weight as much as you can budget wise.
Old 03-29-22, 07:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I have made the choice to go with tights (no chamois) rather than leg warmers after having used both. I find that I can ride in truly bitter conditions with them if I put my windshell over them. I don't recall ever actually needing the shell for warmth on tour unless it was pretty chilly with wind and rain though. The tights are generally enough for me for pretty cold weather if it is dry. I do have several weights of tights and take ones that suit the trip. The silky light weight ones are usualy fine, The ones that are a little "brushed and slightly fuzzy inside are surprizingly warmer. I have some heavy ones that are windproof in the front and thinner and not windproof in the back. They are great for brutally cold riding, but I don't plan on touring in sub zero weather or at worst a dip to there over night in some extreme unexpected case. So those are unlikely to ever go on a tour and will never be used here in Florida.

Tights are a little more of a pain to take on or off than leg warmers, but I cope. If I figure they will be on all day I wear them under the shorts if not I wear them over. If they have ankle zips you can get them off without taking shoes off, but most don't. Taking shoes off one at a time as you slip out of each leg isn't a big deal though. If you find it to be then maybe you will like leg warmers better.

I do have some zip off leg pants that I sometimes take and wear in camp. They were a cheap brand and thin nylon with a cotton like feel. They had a built in mesh brief when new, but it wore out eventually and I cut it out. They were one of the house brands at Bass Pro (world wide sportsman I think). I liked them a lot because they were really cheap, really comfortable, and really light. Last time I looked I didn't find the exact model and one that I did find were as nice. The more expensive brands or models of the same brand were not only more expensive, but a lot heavier and no more comfortable. Still some model of zip off leg pants is an option. I guess some without the zip off option might be okay if you don't zip them off much any way. Otherwise I sometimes wear tights whether alone or under short running shorts in camp or other off bike times.

Running shorts with a built in mesh brief are great for getting out of bike shorts and "airing out" I typically sleep in them and wear them most of the time when I am out of bike clothes. They are a few ounces (my Nike Dri Fit are 3.9 ounces) and a must have item for me.

When I am going light, which for me is most of the time these days, I use some "wind pants" that I treated with DWR treatment that are 3.5 ounces as a wind shell, and as rain pants, and as my only other long pants other than the tights. A few more ounces would allow real coated nylon rain pants to be taken.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-29-22 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-29-22, 07:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It depends on where and when I am touring.

For an East to West TA with a May 5 start, I would have wool arm and leg warmers. Probably rain pants. No slacks. If I was going West to East starting in early June, I'd have wool tights for sure. Maybe tights in early May in Appalachia. I was hiking in them in early May last year and it was very cold. I would consider bringing a light quick drying pair of hiking/jogger pants like the 9 oz pair from Arc’teryx. I would not bring two pairs. Personally, I rarely do two of anything on a tour.

If I were touring in an area and style where I'd be eating in nice restaurants, I'd have a light pair of pants and a polo. Like Europe or maybe Inn to Inn in Vermonty kind of places.
Old 03-29-22, 08:00 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
tights + rain pants. I often wear tights in the sun -- no sunscreen. Rain pants are to fight cold rather than rain. I've stopped using dedicated (padded) biking shorts. Takes just a couple more days to get used to the saddle.
I also have yoga pants (discontinued) lightweight, compact and suitable for casual evenings in town.

Last edited by gauvins; 03-29-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 10:03 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I've been using the Patagonia Terrebonne running pants for a few years now. They're very lightweight, slim around the lower leg, and super comfortable. They also pack down super small and dry nearly instantly. For me, they're the perfect pants to bring on a tour.
Old 03-29-22, 10:28 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I use basically the same system as staehpj - I carry non-chamois tights and REI zip off pants. The pants are mainly for camp.... bike shorts and tights (non-lined) are good down into the high 30's. The shorts part of the zip-offs are handy to have for a bit of modesty.... they can be slipped them on when going into a restaurant or store. If the zip-off pants (or same pants as a non-zip-off) are used, the legs will need a wrap around them.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have made the choice to go with tights (no chamois) rather than leg warmers after having used both. I find that I can ride in truly bitter conditions with them if I put my windshell over them. I don't recall ever actually needing the shell for warmth on tour unless it was pretty chilly with wind and rain though. The tights are generally enough for me for pretty cold weather if it is dry. I do have several weights of tights and take ones that suit the trip. The silky light weight ones are usualy fine, The ones that are a little "brushed and slightly fuzzy inside are surprizingly warmer. I have some heavy ones that are windproof in the front and thinner and not windproof in the back. They are great for brutally cold riding, but I don't plan on touring in sub zero weather or at worst a dip to there over night in some extreme unexpected case. So those are unlikely to ever go on a tour and will never be used here in Florida.

Tights are a little more of a pain to take on or off than leg warmers, but I cope. If I figure they will be on all day I wear them under the shorts if not I wear them over. If they have ankle zips you can get them off without taking shoes off, but most don't. Taking shoes off one at a time as you slip out of each leg isn't a big deal though. If you find it to be then maybe you will like leg warmers better.

I do have some zip off leg pants that I sometimes take and wear in camp. They were a cheap brand and thin nylon with a cotton like feel. They had a built in mesh brief when new, but it wore out eventually and I cut it out. They were one of the house brands at Bass Pro (world wide sportsman I think). I liked them a lot because they were really cheap, really comfortable, and really light. Last time I looked I didn't find the exact model and one that I did find were as nice. The more expensive brands or models of the same brand were not only more expensive, but a lot heavier and no more comfortable. Still some model of zip off leg pants is an option. I guess some without the zip off option might be okay if you don't zip them off much any way. Otherwise I sometimes wear tights whether alone or under short running shorts in camp or other off bike times.

Running shorts with a built in mesh brief are great for getting out of bike shorts and "airing out" I typically sleep in them and wear them most of the time when I am out of bike clothes. They are a few ounces (my Nike Dri Fit are 3.9 ounces) and a must have item for me.

When I am going light, which for me is most of the time these days, I use some "wind pants" that I treated with DWR treatment that are 3.5 ounces as a wind shell, and as rain pants, and as my only other long pants other than the tights. A few more ounces would allow real coated nylon rain pants to be taken.
Old 03-29-22, 10:31 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
I've been using the Patagonia Terrebonne running pants for a few years now. They're very lightweight, slim around the lower leg, and super comfortable. They also pack down super small and dry nearly instantly. For me, they're the perfect pants to bring on a tour.
Are these similar to their Houdini shell? (i.e. good wind protection, some rain protection, ultra light and breathable). That shell is amazing and I was hoping that they'd reintroduce matching pants. Perhaps what you suggest is it...
Old 03-29-22, 11:46 AM
niknak

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Are these similar to their Houdini shell? (i.e. good wind protection, some rain protection, ultra light and breathable). That shell is amazing and I was hoping that they'd reintroduce matching pants. Perhaps what you suggest is it...
No, they're made of recycled polyester, not nylon, like the Houdini. They're way more breathable than the Houdini. I agree though the Houdini is an excellent wind shell.
Old 03-29-22, 01:07 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by djb
I've always brought a light pair of long pants, light coloured, not tight (dark attracts mosquitoes etc more) for bug protection, cool evenings and for off bike activities.
I also bring tights that I wear often when riding when it's cool and or for sleeping.
I also bring rain pants.

Could I eliminate the long pants? Sure, but I like a pair of regular looking pants on long trips, very handy for off bike stuff which along with a light button down shirt sleeved shirt is very versatile for looking and feeling non bikey --nice on a really long trip.

My pants are one piece, I'm not crazy about zip offs, but be aware of the huge difference in weight between these types of pants. Some are twice as heavy and the volume of others.

Kinda last minute on choosing your clothing for a long trip, but I get it, We've all been there.

With all clothing, I'd prioritize weight as much as you can budget wise.
This is literally the last thing I have to decide on, I have been planning this trip and purchasing gear for over 5 months including a new bike. As I put in my first post I have a pair of running pants that are tight at the ankle with zips at the bottom that look to be the best solution to bike on cooler mornings. I also have a pair of Eddie Bauer pants that are very light weight and would be good for off the bike. Trying to decide whether to bring them as well or just stick with one pair of pants the entire ride. Of course most of the time I will be in shorts
Old 03-29-22, 01:14 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by niknak
I have an REI close by and they carry this pant. I will go and try it on, thanks for the tip
Do you just bring this one pant on tour or do you take two pairs of pants?
Do you wear this pant on the bike over biking pants/padded liner?
Do you also wear it off bike?

Last edited by HendersonD; 03-29-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-29-22, 04:42 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
This is literally the last thing I have to decide on, I have been planning this trip and purchasing gear for over 5 months including a new bike. As I put in my first post I have a pair of running pants that are tight at the ankle with zips at the bottom that look to be the best solution to bike on cooler mornings. I also have a pair of Eddie Bauer pants that are very light weight and would be good for off the bike. Trying to decide whether to bring them as well or just stick with one pair of pants the entire ride. Of course most of the time I will be in shorts
I'd be inclined to not worry too much about if you end up taking both. Only you know what is more comfortable for you for given riding temps, I know with me I just like having the hiking type pants for off bike non bikey look, plus being not tight, mosquitoes won't get me through them if I just have my tights on. Some places the bugs can be horrible.
As you say, the majority of time you'll be in bike shorts.
All the best with this final decision, but most importantly have a great adventure.
Likes For djb:
Old 03-30-22, 05:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
I'd be inclined to not worry too much about if you end up taking both. Only you know what is more comfortable for you for given riding temps, I know with me I just like having the hiking type pants for off bike non bikey look, plus being not tight, mosquitoes won't get me through them if I just have my tights on. Some places the bugs can be horrible.
As you say, the majority of time you'll be in bike shorts.
All the best with this final decision, but most importantly have a great adventure.
The other thing the OP needs to keep in mind is that if your only pants are something you rode in they could be wet, dirty/muddy, etc., at the end of the day. Like you, I like to have something comfortable and loose to put on at the end of the day. My convertible hiking pants fit the bill. And the base layer, which I’ll wear under the pants with the legs zipped off, is akin to a nice blanket for my legs when it’s cool out.

And yeah, I can’t think of a few places on the MT section of the TA alone where the mosquitoes can be voracious when the OP will likely be there. And they can bite through tight clothing. Outside of Wisdom the GF and I got set as we were riding up a short incline at the entrance to a cattle ranch with standing water by the side of the road. And walking around town in the evening was tough because of the suckers.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-30-22 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 06:13 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
I'd be inclined to not worry too much about if you end up taking both
Two ways to look at that. One is that you can always mail one home if you decide one is better and you don't need the other. Another is that you can take one and buy something else or have it mailed from home if you change your mind. The change may also result with the seasonal or geographic change as you go. For example east bound riders may shed some of their colder weather gear after Pueblo or so.

Personally I'd pick one and be open to changing my mind and swapping it and other items out mid trip. Swapping gear is part of the learning process. A packing list is a living and ever changing thing IME or should be. It improves over time if yo evaluate it before, during, and after every trip. I find it helps to have a spreadsheet with all of the stuff you might use. Mine is set up so I can check or uncheck items and the weights get counted or uncounted in the total. It helps me decide which combinations are most sensible. I have been over various incarnations of the list probably thousands of times.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The other thing the OP needs to keep in mind is that if your only pants are something you rode in they could be wet, dirty/muddy, etc., at the end of the day. Like you, I like to have something comfortable and loose to put on at the end of the day. My convertible hiking pants fit the bill. And the base layer, which I’ll wear under the pants with the legs zipped off, is akin to a nice blanket for my legs when it’s cool out.
Yep, the lightweight long pants are for off bike unless I was cutting to a bare minimum and using my U/L wind pants and tights as my only long pants. Using the wind pants as the only rain wind and off bike long pants is giving up some comfort for a little space and a few ounces, but I have done it. That said I only did it for trips where I didn't expect much wet chilly weather and have been lucky in that I have only very rarely been stuck with only one set of wet stuff from the days ride to wear in camp. I only recommend doing that for real minimalist usage.
Old 03-30-22, 07:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

As I noted above in post 2, I bring a pair of:
- on-bike long pants in addition to shorts or convertible pants to convert to shorts.
- off-bike convertible pants/shorts for campsite or town wear.
- rain pants, mostly used for wet but occasionally as an additional layer in cold weather.

Also bring a second pair of on-bike shorts.

You are planning a multi-month trip. Like Staehpj1 mentioned, you can mail excess home, have someone that is home mail something to you. Or, buy another layer along the way.

I just looked at my camping gear list, my convertible off-bike pants weigh from 360 to 555 grams depending on which pair, or roughly a pound. To me, carrying an extra pound for something that I will use almost every day is a no-brainer, I bring it.

But most of my trips, I am riding a plane or Amtrak as part of my trip, I will be spending a lot of time off the bike where I want off-bike clothing.
Old 03-30-22, 07:33 AM
GhostRider62

You can also send stuff to yourself at a post office. No need to lock in all your kit for the entire trip from the get go.

West to East, I mailed warmer weather clothing to Pueblo along with new tires and brake pads. I sent quite a lot of cold weather gear home from Pueblo.
Old 03-30-22, 08:06 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You can also send stuff to yourself at a post office. No need to lock in all your kit for the entire trip from the get go.

West to East, I mailed warmer weather clothing to Pueblo along with new tires and brake pads. I sent quite a lot of cold weather gear home from Pueblo.
Yep I advise being open to doing that. Also to adjusting gear just because you decide you could have made a better choice.

Many riders mail stuff home, often more than once on a long tour, just because they find they overpacked. Our group of three did so 3 or 4 times on the Trans America (our first tour). Some of it was just little stuff, but it all adds up. We made it a point to take an inventory of what we were carrying and found that a lot of stuff wasn't used. That deck of cards weighs very little, but when you are half way across the country and haven't touched it... So it is what 2 ounces maybe? Why bother? Because you make dozens or scores of packing decisions and they all add up The pounds are made up of little choices and many of them are littles stuff like that deck of cards. Maybe the deck of cards is something that you'd just throw away, but you get the idea. We actually did mail it home since it was essentially free to throw it in the flat rate box with the other stuff. Remember we were 3 newbies and had enough to fill a medium size flat rate box stuffed pretty full.
Old 03-30-22, 08:12 AM
GhostRider62

Yep I advise being open to doing that. Also to adjusting gear just because you decide you could have made a better choice.

Many riders mail stuff home, often more than once on a long tour, just because they find they overpacked. Our group of three did so 3 or 4 times on the Trans America (our first tour). Some of it was just little stuff, but it all adds up. We made it a point to take an inventory of what we were carrying and found that a lot of stuff wasn't used. That deck of cards weighs very little, but when you are half way across the country and haven't touched it... So it is what 2 ounces maybe? Why bother? Because you make dozens or scores of packing decisions and they all add up The pounds are made up of little choices and many of them are littles stuff like that deck of cards. Maybe the deck of cards is something that you'd just throw away, but you get the idea. We actually did mail it home since it was essentially free to throw it in the flat rate box with the other stuff. Remember we were 3 newbies and had enough to fill a medium size flat rate box stuffed pretty full.
Lighter is always better for me. My backpacking base weight is 7.5lbs to 9 lbs. I am sure my cross country bike and all gear are under 40 pounds and closer to 35 lbs total including bike (no water or food).
Old 03-30-22, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Also to adjusting gear just because you decide you could have made a better choice.
Like the woman on my CC tour who mailed home her blow dryer and Sony Watchman TV (remember those?) as we were waiting for the ferry in Port Townsend, WA, at the start of the third day. Three days later we would cross the N. Cascades Highway in the rain and snow. If you are reading this, I love you, Katy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.