Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stretching hip muscles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stretching hip muscles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 05:50 AM
hillcrawler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretching hip muscles

I think we all have tight butts. Yes. I finally figured it out. My knee pain is directly affected by tight hip muscles. They are tightened for long time because i never stretch and they got shortened in long term which is leading to the contracting of the kneecap. When your hip muscles are tight your kneecap gets closer to the femur bone and the two bones rub each other all day. Muscle imbalance is a key factor on joint related pains. I should figüre out which muscles are tightened and shortened to find the right cure for my knees. I have been reading everywhere and all the doctors i see so far adviced me to strengthen the quadriceps but i think stretching is much more important. It sounds more logic to me. Do you think hip muscles have an effect on the kneecap? Maybe not because they are going through the backside of our leg and they got nothing to do with the kneecap. But there has to be a force which is contracting my kneecap to the femur bone. Maybe it is the tight quadriceps muscles. Can you tell me which muscle groups work more than the others while cycling?

Last edited by hillcrawler; 01-12-14 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-12-14, 06:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Start going to yoga and/or pilates classes.

The quads work the most while cycling. I suspect the "force" you're referring to is more commonly known as the quadriceps tendon. Be very careful with tendons ... if you damage them, recovery can take months.

If you're going to do this all yourself, rather than relying on medical professionals, take a class. You might start with Anatomy.
Old 01-12-14, 06:49 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
https://hubpages.com/hub/Muscles-grou...-while-cycling
Old 01-12-14, 07:10 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

The quads work the most while cycling. I suspect the "force" you're referring to is more commonly known as the quadriceps tendon. Be very careful with tendons ... if you damage them, recovery can take months.

If you're going to do this all yourself, rather than relying on medical professionals, take a class. You might start with Anatomy.
Machka beat me to it...........PILATES!
Old 01-12-14, 08:51 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. As i thought, quadriceps and hip muscles work most. So, it is easy to tell these muscles need most of stretching and if you don't do it you will end up with kneecap maltracking like myself. I'll do the necessary stretches and get them back to their normal length again. Hopefully all the pain will go away by that.
Old 01-12-14, 08:55 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Machka again but i am not a social person so i will follow the videos on youtube at home. I don't think i need a class for that anyway. What i don't understand what is the difference between the yoga and basic stretching? As far as i checked the moves are the same. If you do the moves in front of a buddha picture it is called yoga. If you do them in a gym it is stretching. Right?
Old 01-12-14, 09:01 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
There is much more involved with knee pain that tight quads and hips. You seem to have your mind made up even though medical advice you sought tells you something different. Quite a few things affect knee pain and you need to be sure what it is in your specific case before you start playing around. A good experienced medical professional will give you a thorough exam with tests for flexibility and strength.
Old 01-12-14, 09:05 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
Thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. As i thought, quadriceps and hip muscles work most. So, it is easy to tell these muscles need most of stretching and if you don't do it you will end up with kneecap maltracking like myself. I'll do the necessary stretches and get them back to their normal length again. Hopefully all the pain will go away by that.
Just don't stretch them cold. Use your muscles, then stretch them. Good luck with your issue.
Old 01-12-14, 03:23 PM
IANative

Bikes: Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest a foam roller on the IT-band as part of your stretching routine.
Old 01-12-14, 03:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Thanks Machka again but i am not a social person so i will follow the videos on youtube at home. I don't think i need a class for that anyway. What i don't understand what is the difference between the yoga and basic stretching? As far as i checked the moves are the same. If you do the moves in front of a buddha picture it is called yoga. If you do them in a gym it is stretching. Right?
Wrong! A Buddha picture??? I've done 3 years of yoga and have yet to see a Buddha picture.

Yoga consists of certain types of stretching and also poses that require focus ... but there's nothing "religious" about it. At least, there hasn't been in any of the classes I've taken.
Old 01-12-14, 03:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Another thing to consider is bike fit. A lot of knee pain is eliminated by a proper fit.
Old 01-13-14, 12:41 AM
jjjj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also recommend yoga, I take a class once a week with my wife. It actually helps my cycling and makes my better half happy.
Old 01-13-14, 01:14 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IANative
I suggest a foam roller on the IT-band as part of your stretching routine.
Yes, i know that i need it badly and just ordered it now. Together with a yoga mat. Here i come Buddha! (joking)
Old 01-13-14, 02:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Step away from the computer, and take a class!

I'm not a social person either, but I still take classes. Classes are much better than videos. A good yoga or pilates instructor can give you appropriate, personal advice ... a video can't do that. A good yoga or pilates instructor can tell you if you're doing the stretch right or wrong, and if you're doing it wrong, they can tell you how to fix it. A video won't comment on your form.

If you get it wrong, at best you won't benefit ... at worst, you can hurt yourself.

And I'm serious about taking an Anatomy class too. With every post you make, you sound more confused than ever. Either get professional help ... or start taking classes. The computer is not an appropriate source of information for all these things.
Old 01-13-14, 03:06 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Step away from the computer, and take a class!

I'm not a social person either, but I still take classes. Classes are much better than videos. A good yoga or pilates instructor can give you appropriate, personal advice ... a video can't do that. A good yoga or pilates instructor can tell you if you're doing the stretch right or wrong, and if you're doing it wrong, they can tell you how to fix it. A video won't comment on your form.

If you get it wrong, at best you won't benefit ... at worst, you can hurt yourself.

And I'm serious about taking an Anatomy class too. With every post you make, you sound more confused than ever. Either get professional help ... or start taking classes. The computer is not an appropriate source of information for all these things.
I know i will never accomplish anything fully through the computer screen. I know my steps are scrambled but they are still steps forward. You can think of me as someone who is living in the outskirts of USA. Internet is the only source of information i have. I mentioned on other ocassions; this country is not like yours. Let me try to explain you this way. 9 out of 10 people have no speciality here. And 7 out of this 9 people have no interest in having a speciality. They are just ordinary people who don't have any serious hobby in life or anything. So, there is no demand for the specialities. Thus, if you have a speciality you sell it with a big price. Cycling... In the whole ****ing city -consist of 2 million people- there are only few hundreds who are serious or let's say passionate about it. Out of these few hundred people there are only one or two people who might have proper knowledge on bike fit. So, how can i find a professional bike fit here? I can't. So, i'll dig it on the internet.

I'm trying to say that you can't find professionals here for every speciality you like. Even if you do it will cost you a dear. I am %99 sure there is no yoga class in my city. I have no budget to spare for that anyway.

Last edited by hillcrawler; 01-13-14 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 03:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I know i will never accomplish anything fully through the computer screen. I know my steps are scrambled but they are still steps forward. You can think of me as someone who is living in the outskirts of USA. Internet is the only source of information i have. I mentioned on other ocassions; this country is not like yours. Let me try to explain you this way. 9 out of 10 people have no speciality here. And 7 out of this 9 people have no interest in having a speciality. They are just ordinary people who don't have any serious hobby in life or anything. So, there is no demand for the specialities. Thus, if you have a speciality you sell it with a big price. Cycling... In the whole ****ing city -consist of 2 million people- there are only few hundreds who are serious or let's say passionate about it. Out of these few hundred people there are only one or two people who might have proper knowledge on bike fit. So, how can i find a professional bike fit here? I can't. So, i'll dig it on the internet.

I'm trying to say that you can't find professionals here for every speciality you like. Even if you do it will cost you a dear. I am %99 sure there is no yoga class in my city. I have no budget to spare for that anyway.
1. I'm not from the USA.

2. You never know until you look.

3. When I say "professional help", I'm talking about professional medical help. And realising that you're having trouble finding a good doctor ... I'm suggesting that you go to the local university and take an anatomy class.
Old 01-13-14, 06:57 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
started doing yoga a couple of months ago. it works great for me!!!
Old 01-13-14, 07:01 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I'm not from the USA.

2. You never know until you look.

3. When I say "professional help", I'm talking about professional medical help. And realising that you're having trouble finding a good doctor ... I'm suggesting that you go to the local university and take an anatomy class.
I forgot that you were from Canada, sorry. I would really like to have an anatomy class. Maybe i can find an online course on the internet? (joking)

I started a new thread on the kneeguru.com now. I've explained everything, let's see how they will help me.
Old 01-13-14, 07:01 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
started doing yoga a couple of months ago. it works great for me!!!
Really? What was your problem? Please give some details.
Old 01-13-14, 07:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I forgot that you were from Canada, sorry.
I'm a Canadian in Australia.
Old 01-13-14, 07:09 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Canadian in Australia.
That sounds even more cool
Old 01-13-14, 08:47 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sorted it out. I figured it out for the good. No more words need to be spoken. No more researches. End of the maze. Thank you for all the collaborations.

It is the tight IT band and weak VMO muscles (I might be wrong though)
Old 01-13-14, 09:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
OP, it's all connected. If your hips are tight, they pull on the quads, which pull on the knees. Tight calves pull on the hamstrings, which then pull on the back....

If you are having issues, you need to start stretching everything. PM me and I'll send you my stretching regimen. I've been doing it for more than a year now since I partially tore a tendon in my knee.
Old 01-13-14, 09:47 AM
peaches123

Bikes: Diamondback Centurion Expert TG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, stretching one muscle may help the problem you have today, but then you will just have a new problem as your biomechanics change. Stretching and strengthening are never bad ideas, but you've got to stretch everything and strengthen whatever is weak. The thing about knees is all kinds of muscles connect there and there are many different issues that can all cause similar pain.

I also second the foam roller. Those things are magic (in a painful but helpful way).
Old 01-13-14, 11:02 AM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a foam roller: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3407871

watch this for how to use it:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.