Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Where did you start?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Where did you start?

Old 02-07-20, 08:42 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
It's a bit of a resto-mod. The bars and stem are period GB, the running gear is all new Cascadia fenders, Sun rims / sealed bearings and a modified Campy chain ring ( a double I filed the tabs off)

It gets a good bit of use but I tend to be gentle with it.

Next build is this Carlton, still deciding whether to repaint or keep the black stove enamel. Fixed or freewheel w/coaster brake.

Likes For Velognome:
Old 02-07-20, 08:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
It's a bit of a resto-mod. The bars and stem are period GB, the running gear is all new Cascadia fenders, Sun rims / sealed bearings and a modified Campy chain ring ( a double I filed the tabs off)

Next build is this Carlton, still deciding whether to repaint or keep the black stove enamel. Fixed or freewheel w/coaster brake.

I hate your pictures.
You couldn't give us a good look at those lugs in high- resolution glory?!
Old 02-09-20, 09:21 PM
Hexar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I started with a 80's Cannondale
Old 02-19-20, 08:25 PM
sharktrack

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I picked up a cheap used single-speed/fixed flip/flop hub and tried it on the fixed side and loved the ride. I've been riding fixed pretty much since
Old 02-20-20, 07:47 AM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Just to chime in on State. My daily is a State 4130 and it has been a perfectly good bike. That being said I built it from a frameset with components I chose. Stay away from Their new core-line though, they look good but even the frame at that point is of dubious quality.
Old 02-20-20, 08:27 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by LNKFixed
Just to chime in on State. My daily is a State 4130 and it has been a perfectly good bike. That being said I built it from a frameset with components I chose. Stay away from Their new core-line though, they look good but even the frame at that point is of dubious quality.
Thanks for the tip. I have my frame and my components, except the spokes, rim tape, and handlebar tape. I've been meaning to place that spoke order, but I know I have a handful of projects, including another wheel repair, before I dive into the project. I'm excited! That's keeping me buoyant enough to slog through the frame paint repair I need to finish before I start preparing and building the frame. Once I replace the chain-chewed spokes on the touring bike, I'll have nothing to do except that paint work and bike reassembly, and then rust removal/stabilization on the frame I intend to build into a fixed/single speed bike!
Old 02-20-20, 08:28 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Velognome
I'm not really mad, I just want to see more of that craftsmanship! Do you have a thread for that bike?
Old 02-20-20, 09:33 AM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Masikup
I started by building my own with a vintage motobecane. I feel like that gave me a different appreciation for the fixed gear
Although I seldom ride it, I converted a Motobecane Grand Jubilee to SS/Fixed. I need to get it down from the ceiling and ride it more. Too many bikes, too many choices. Time to thin the herd and ride fewer bikes more often.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-20-20, 10:35 AM
TugaDude

I love the other bike you posted, the Holdsworth, but this one has so much going for it. I absolutely love the lugs. As far as whether to refinish it, I would be torn too. I might be tempted to just leave it and keep it waxed. On the other hand, someday it will fall into other hands and at that point, you can't count on them taking as good care of it. So perhaps refinishing is best for the long run. I have a Carlton Criterium that I dearly love, but it is an ugly step-sister to what that frame once was.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-21-20, 08:08 PM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Is that literally just a square nut welded into a cutout in the dropouts? What a cool frame though!
Old 03-04-20, 10:04 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Unca Sam
I'm not really mad, I just want to see more of that craftsmanship! Do you have a thread for that bike?
No problem, didn't think ou were hostile. I don't have a build thread yet, the frame is hanging on a hook on the wall patiently waiting to be built. Still deciding on if I should strip and repaint or build it as is.

LNK Fixed
Is that literally just a square nut welded into a cutout in the dropouts?
No, the drop out is a single steel plate, original to the build. I've only seen one other curly lugged Carlton Flyer and it had the same rear drop out.

Last edited by Velognome; 03-04-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 02:08 PM
TugaDude

No problem, didn't think ou were hostile. I don't have a build thread yet, the frame is hanging on a hook on the wall patiently waiting to be built. Still deciding on if I should strip and repaint or build it as is.

No, the drop out is a single steel plate, original to the build. I've only seen one other curly lugged Carlton Flyer and it had the same rear drop out.
I really like that Carlton. Some day I hope to find a vintage track bike my size. I did see on locally, but it was owned by a dealer. It was a Frejus track bike. Funny story was he had sold it through his shop and just a couple years before he retired he saw someone selling it and bought it from them. His store sold Frejus back in the day. Oh well, maybe he will want to sell it again!

This is not the bike, but it is similar.

Old 03-04-20, 03:25 PM
bigbowlcut

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I started riding ss when I got a bike messenger gig, built it up from an old focus frame, love everything about it, nearly have 2k miles on it. Was simple enough that I could learn to maintain it properly myself. Not delivering on it as often as i used to but i still love it.
Old 03-03-21, 11:20 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I started!

I appreciated everyone's advice. I gathered my parts and I'm just about finished putting it all together.

Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 03-04-21, 07:43 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Looking good!
Can you add a chain link to move the rear wheel back? The chance of it falling off would be on my mind while riding.....
Old 03-04-21, 07:54 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Looking good!
Can you add a chain link to move the rear wheel back? The chance of it falling off would be on my mind while riding.....
😒 I'm not crazy about that either. I've been wondering which would be worse, inviting a broken chain (notice it has brakes) or the outside risk my massive guads would generate so much watts that I pull the wheel into the frame when I "drope da hamma". (Am I doing it right? )

I was going to check the cog and lockring tonight, and I'll see about adding an inch to the chain.