Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear derailleur size

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rear derailleur size

Old 12-09-21, 03:35 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
I thought the topic is simpler and closer to "pure arithmetic":
Calculate N1=Nr teeth largest ring + Nr teeth large cog - nr. teeth smallest ring - nr teeth smallest cog.
Compare N1 with N2 (N2 = max. deraileur capacity - nr. of teeth).
If N1>N2, it does not work.
If N1=N2 or N1<N2, it works.

If you have 2 alternatives that work (N1<=N2) - say medium and long, then:
The medium will give faster shifting (although the difference might be too small to feel it) and might be noisier when close to "big - big". The large should have opposite behavior.
Weight difference also exists... surely too small to feel it.

One more point: if you want to alternate 2 cassettes, one for flat roads and another for climbing (bigger cogs), then I think you should consider only Large (to fit both) and dimension it for the largest cassette. Another limitation should be the maximum number of cog teeths accepted by the combination of derailleur and hanger length.

Last edited by Redbullet; 12-09-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 02:26 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and it goes to say I have no problem with good discussions or thook's good discussions
thanks!!

Originally Posted by squirtdad
these discussion are always complicated by terminology.

I try to use what manufacturers use when defining their stuff and that changes, like modern deraillers designed for compact doubles now list the max difference for the front crank and 1x are different also

Also absolutes are to be avoided (which i did not do in earlier disagreement) it really is case by case, so you need to do your research and not rely on rules of thumb

I have seen deraillers where the short cage and long cage had same max cog and small cog, but a larger chain wrap capacity so the long cage could handle a triple.

That is no common at all any more, with deraillers with longer cages being different so they can handle handling bigger max rear cogs in addition to the larger chain wrap (example is the ultegra 8000 derailer for a 34 tooth max cog is different from the, GS (medium cage) that can do 32.

sorta of of topic but if anyone is pushing specs (Shimano is known to be conservative, Campy less so) chain length helps, and IME the best chain sizing is small/small to get the max change and best chance for smooth ops when pushing limits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuhHn7HaZcQ
all good points. i have a few 7spd shimano derailleurs that spec at a maximum cog of 32t, but all of them will do 34t no problem. and, most recently, i got my hands on a ross mtb that came with suntour xc sport. the rear derailleur is spec'd at 32t, but i swear the thing will do 36t by how far it'll swing down. i just don't have any gears to try it with. i wonder how long the hanger is?
Old 12-10-21, 07:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny

If I am going to use these short cage derailleurs I am going to need smaller chain rings. I am thinking 48-39 as the 39 seems to be the smallest that will fit on some cranks.

Just to be clear…. The size if the chainrings alone is utterly irrelevant. It is the DIFFERENCE in the size of the rings that matters. The larger the difference, the more wrap capacity is needed.

In terms of wrap capacity needed A crankset with 22/36 rings is the same as a 36/50. Both are a 14t difference.