Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 03:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by atnyc
Nope! I assumed it's about an expensive high end bike that doesn't quite work out!

And I assumption was backed up by the post contents as a correct one.

Only people who had an axe to grind would insist it's about carbon vs steel. (or titanium...)

It's not strictly a BF thing, but there really is a tendency for people to just take almost every single thread topic and turn it into some pointless piss contest debate. I like steel bikes, other people don't. I can't imagine wasting one second's thought on trying to convince them otherwise. I'll defend myself if someone accuses me of stuff to make their "case" against steel, but why would I care what they choose to ride?

Meantime, falling in and out of love with a bike is an interesting topic, and it got swamped by a bunch of people showing up for a fight that never happened.
Old 12-11-21, 04:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by masi61
My Flyte SRS-3 aluminum road bike can be really stiff, unyielding and just plain boring. But this impression is a bit of a moving target that dissipates since it is my favorite bike that I ride more than anything. I've always speculated that it's stiffness becomes more of an asset as my fitness ratchets into the "fit" category and not the "in training" category.

Sounds like your relationship with the bike is getting deeper as you grow as a rider. There's a song in there somewhere!

I'm sort of intrigued by this idea of a boring bike. I kind of think of it as the bike's job is to not be something I think about while I make the ride exciting (or at least interesting). If I'm thinking about the bike a lot during the ride, it's usually not for a good reason.
Old 12-11-21, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't think that OP dilemma has anything to do with the actual carbon bike...I think the problem is just a general lack of motivation to go out and ride. Nothing wrong with feeling that way. I've gone through it myself and I am sure many other people have gone through it. Riding zwift or purchasing a new bike isn't going to solve a problem.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-11-21, 04:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'd bet that most people who opened this thread thought it was going to be another carbon vs. steel/Ti/Al throw down, and I suspect the title was chosen for that reason.
Carbon and frame material is one of the most effective baits and lures trolled through bikeforums...Everybody falls for it, I know I do.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-11-21, 04:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's not strictly a BF thing, but there really is a tendency for people to just take almost every single thread topic and turn it into some pointless piss contest debate. I like steel bikes, other people don't. I can't imagine wasting one second's thought on trying to convince them otherwise. I'll defend myself if someone accuses me of stuff to make their "case" against steel, but why would I care what they choose to ride?

Meantime, falling in and out of love with a bike is an interesting topic, and it got swamped by a bunch of people showing up for a fight that never happened.
The fight has been on ever since you joined the thread and started swinging your fists at everybody...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-11-21, 05:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A bike is meant to be ridden outdoors...Zwift and indoor trainer is going to feel miserable no matter how good your bike is. If you can't ride outdoors then don't ride at all.
The fight has been on ever since you joined the thread and started swinging your fists at everybody...

Liar.
Old 12-11-21, 05:50 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Carbon and frame material is one of the most effective baits and lures trolled through bikeforums...Everybody falls for it, I know I do.
Well, I applaud your honesty.

I never care that much about frame materials. There was a time, at the infancy of so of these "new" materials, some materials have this or that drawbacks. But a lot of that had disappeared as the design and manufacturing process matures. Now, there're only a few fringe areas that people can even detect any ride characteristics being attributing to frame material. I've been through some of that "maturing process" in my bike ownership. So to me, it's pretty much a non-issue. Unlike you, I typically don't bother with any thread that's only about frame materials.

But this thread wasn't about frame material. That's why it's interesting to me.

Last edited by atnyc; 12-11-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 06:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The bikes character...I just didn't like it anymore. There was no lively spring. It didn't feel "dead" just dull. Certainly not alive like the other bikes I have been favoring.
Ok.. please settle this for once and all. Please tell us what materials your other bikes are made out of. Since this isn't a 'material' debate (by a long shot ), I'm sure we'll find you have other CF bikes that are still perfectly awesome.
Old 12-11-21, 06:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok.. please settle this for once and all. Please tell us what materials your other bikes are made out of. Since this isn't a 'material' debate (by a long shot ), I'm sure we'll find you have other CF bikes that are still perfectly awesome.

Are you now or have you ever been an anti-carbonist?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-11-21, 06:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Maybe OP needs to de-carbonize himself and de-zwift himself and get a steel framed singlespeed. and go for a ride outdoors.
Old 12-11-21, 06:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Are you bound and determined to respond to every post, whether or not it has been addressed to you, and/or you have an ability to read minds and pretend you know the answer and all the reasons why? Wait, don't answer that.
Old 12-11-21, 06:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are you bound and determined to respond to every post, whether or not it has been addressed to you, and/or you have an ability to read minds and pretend you know the answer and all the reasons why?

You think you're being subtle?
Old 12-11-21, 07:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts