Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend a good tool for cleaning a cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 05:43 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally started recreating my second rear wheel. The hub cracked on the 2016 one I built. I'm taking spokes off the broken hub and rim and adding them to a new hub and new rim (new rim that was going to be the second front wheel).

So I took the cassette off. I figured I'd clean it off with a brush and soap and water. Then I remember the cassette was actually silver. I thought cassettes came apart into each individual cog wheel but this one is just a cap cover on the end, smallest cog, and then the rest are one piece. That makes it more difficult to clean. I ended up using ear cleaners on it, including cracking them in half to use the stick to pull out muck from inside the cassette cogs.

Is there any kind of tool or special brush that can more easily clean a cassette? While I was cleaning it I was thinking it's not that big of a deal to pop the cassette off to clean it like that. It was black and had the black "road clay" that builds up on all that.

For cleaning, you're supposed to use mineral oil or some solvent to really clean parts like that good, right? That might be a future project. Soap and water and a lot of scrubbing got it 90% clean, with an hour spent on that.
Old 02-16-22, 05:46 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
straw brush
Old 02-16-22, 05:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
I take the wheel off the bike, spray the cassette with a degreaser, let sit a bit, then use the edge of old tee shirts to get between the cogs. Rags work as well.
Old 02-16-22, 05:51 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
mineral spirits get recommended around here for cleaning. nylon brushes are good to scrub with. and, it'd be swell if you had an air compressor. those make short work of blowing all the crud off at the start and the finish
Old 02-16-22, 05:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I wax chains so I never have to do this, but the best way is probably to soak in mineral spirits, and clean it with a stiff toothbrush. The fast way is to use camp stove fuel, which is less ecologically sound, and it is probably best not to smoke too heavily while directly engaged in the process.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-16-22, 06:50 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Fat yarn from a yardage or hobby store to floss it while on the bike. Hold some like when flossing teeth and rock it back and forth between the cogs. The ratcheting of the hub holds and turns the cassette to a new section to clean. You can even wet the floss with your favorite cleaner (I like full strength Simple Green) then follow up with a dry flossing.
Old 02-16-22, 06:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Here's an idea... Put the cassette into a plastic wide mouth jar. Fill the jar at least half way up with ATF used or old. Strap the jar to your left leg then go out for a ride. Ha!

OK... Not laughing? Well...
Old 02-16-22, 07:35 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
I've seen some folks use pieces of cardboard of the right thickness. Someone once gave me a narrow brush with a serrated end specifically made for the purpose, but I'd never buy one. I also sometimes use an Allen key of the right thickness for the cassette, if that's nearer at hand. Then brush, cleaner, and rag to finish.

I used to use a bowl of gasoline and a small paintbrush, and somehow I survived that along with many other things I used to do.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-16-22, 08:36 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I use Kerosene and Harbor Freight 1" chip brushes.
Old 02-16-22, 08:45 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I wax chains so I never have to do this, but the best way is probably to soak in mineral spirits, and clean it with a stiff toothbrush. The fast way is to use camp stove fuel, which is less ecologically sound, and it is probably best not to smoke too heavily while directly engaged in the process.
Doesn't your dirty wax stick to the cogs ?
Old 02-16-22, 08:49 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
...the best way is probably to soak in mineral spirits, and clean it with a stiff toothbrush.
The bristles of a toothbrush are really too short to work well. There are brushes like THIS one, made by Park Tools. Pedros and Muc-Off are a couple other brands that come to mind; there are others, I'm sure. The end opposite the brush has a tool for digging crud out from between the cogs.
There is a lesser-known but readily-available (and cheaper!) alternative: a Denture Brush. The bristles aren't as long as the ones on the dedicated cog brushes, but they are better than those on a toothbrush. I have found these useful for other de-gunking purposes as well.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-16-22, 08:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by holytrousers
Doesn't your dirty wax stick to the cogs ?
Don't want to derail this thread, but very briefly, no. It sticks to the chain, and flakes off, but the flakes don't re-adhere to any appreciable extent.
Old 02-17-22, 12:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Dollar store kitchen brush.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-17-22, 04:52 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Please do not use gasoline (camp stove fuel) as anything but a fuel. It is highly flammable, creates explosive vapors which will travel a long way to an ignition source, is toxic by inhalation and skin absorption and is likely carcinogenic. There are better, safer cleaning solvents.

Having said that, I use heavy knitting yarn dampened in a safe solvent, "shoeshine" style, to clean the crud from between cassette cogs.
Old 02-17-22, 04:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I used to put the cassette into the ultrasonic for 30 minutes with water, simple green, and dawn dish detergent. It comes out clean as a whistle. Now, I very rarely have to clean the cassette because I wax my chain.
Old 02-17-22, 07:50 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I used to do the toothbrush method, but it is too small. Now I take an old paintbrush, put degreaser on it, grab bristles with one hand an inch or so from the tips, and pedal bike backwards with brush on cassette gears. You can do 4-5 cogs at a time this way, much faster. Holding the bristles you can get them just right, more stiff so they will clean better than if you did not grip the bristles. If you bend the bristles before grabbing you can shape the ends to the cassette profile to get even better contact.
Old 02-17-22, 08:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Pipe cleaners do a decent job.
Old 02-17-22, 09:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I take the wheel off the bike, spray the cassette with a degreaser, let sit a bit, then use the edge of old tee shirts to get between the cogs. Rags work as well.
Yep, it’s kind of like flossing. I don’t even take the cassette off the wheel – – I just the wheel between my gut and the workbench and use the edge of an old t- shirt the way you described
Old 02-17-22, 09:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I've seen some folks use pieces of cardboard of the right thickness.
That's what I do once I found the right thickness and sturdiness to cover 8 to 11 speed. I table saw up dozens 3"x5" at a time. I ride mostly on well swept bike lanes, periodically toothbrush sandwich the chain, cardboard the cassette and chainrings and with my OMS/bar oil mix getting great chain life and a clean bike.
Old 02-17-22, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You don't really believe it's silver do you?
Old 02-17-22, 09:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Please do not use gasoline (camp stove fuel) as anything but a fuel.
Please read the first 10 words you quoted.

From the context of the remainder, it should also be clear that I am not endorsing the practice.
Old 02-17-22, 10:23 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Here's what I use for all my cleaning needs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-17-22, 12:24 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
In the past I've used rags, brushes, etc. to try and get between the gears but a few years ago I started using the thick cords or stings off of a floor mop head. They can be off a clean, used mop head or pick up a cheep one at your local hardware or cleaning supply store. They are thick enough that the clean well between most sizes of cassette. You use one at a time and discard when dirty. One mop head will last most of us a very long time. I am still on my first one and I clean upwards of 20 cassettes a year.

Of course you still need to soak or spray the dirty cassette with you choice of cleaner or solvent before cleaning them up with the mop cords.
Old 02-17-22, 12:36 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
dsbrantjr ....see his comment above for some common sense, he nailed it !

Kitchen brush from dollar store ....might cost 1.25 now .... ( Biden-era price increase, thanks Joe ! )

Harbor freight parts cleaning brush / chip brush
Likes For TPL:
Old 02-17-22, 06:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
After soaking and agitating in degreaser (preferably organic mineral spirits), this brush has long and stiff bristles which work well:

Amazon.com: Amazon Basics Drain Cleaning Brush, Blue and White : Health & Household

Comes in a two pack so one for kitchen and one for bikes; do not mix them up.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.