Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I hate rim brakes…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why I hate rim brakes…

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 10:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You haven't actually stated that you had to do that.

But assuming it to be the case, no, I don't consider any of that to be a hang up. In fact, I don't even know how you would have to "unfasten a part of the braking system" to remove a wheel.
The most memorable bicycling moments [to which I wouldn't mind losing to an aging memory] that I recall was not with a bicycle I had, yet one that a friend rode. Decided that we could enjoy a nice ride out, but that outing seemed to become a game of, "Lets see how far this goes before something goes wrong with there bicycle" . Made it a few dozen miles out & something weird started going on with the axle, causing it to webble wobble. Go to remove the wheel assembly, the rim brakes caught the tire. Deflate the tire, checked the axle out, it was loose. Tighten it, install the wheel, & pump it up. Shortly after, same thing happens. Repeat process. Then again... rinse & repeat. so on & so on.
Stripped threads was my guess, but never dug into there bicycle any further.
Old 02-20-22, 12:30 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
.... Why I LOVE SA drum brakes. ZERO chance of failure.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 02-20-22, 06:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The most memorable bicycling moments [to which I wouldn't mind losing to an aging memory] that I recall was not with a bicycle I had, yet one that a friend rode. Decided that we could enjoy a nice ride out, but that outing seemed to become a game of, "Lets see how far this goes before something goes wrong with there bicycle" . Made it a few dozen miles out & something weird started going on with the axle, causing it to webble wobble. Go to remove the wheel assembly, the rim brakes caught the tire. Deflate the tire, checked the axle out, it was loose. Tighten it, install the wheel, & pump it up. Shortly after, same thing happens. Repeat process. Then again... rinse & repeat. so on & so on.
Stripped threads was my guess, but never dug into there bicycle any further.
That does sound like a drag...But fortunately, a rather rare (probably a one-off) experience.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-20-22, 07:32 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My rim brakes have a little lever on the caliper to open them up when removing a wheel,....With my disk brake wheel removal isn't an issue.
Old 02-20-22, 07:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
You can add a quick release to any cable operated brake.

https://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s313...able_Adjusters
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-20-22, 08:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
OP could have just listed his helpful video "How to clean winter grime off your bike."

No need for the controversial/opinionated segway.

Also, I'm not seeing how this is happening:
when it’s wet out, the pads throw so much crud and grime all over the place,
The pads are stationary. The spinning wheel/rim/tire is what's throwing crud and grime all over the place. That's why you have fenders mounted. If anything, the rim brake/pad is acting like a squeegee/brush/tire saver and reducing the amount of crud and grime flying all over the place. The rim brake happens to be positioned at the top of the wheel. If the rim brake/pad were positioned on the bottom of the wheel close to ground, the pads would be skimming off the crud and grime back onto the ground surface. You'd still get some buildup on the rim, but most of it would be skimmed off. Last time I checked, a disc brake rotor is a spinning object just like the rim. The disc pads are going to do the same type of skimming that a rim pad would do.

Last edited by seypat; 02-20-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-20-22, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

The pads are stationary. The spinning wheel/rim/tire is what's throwing crud and grime all over the place. That's why you have fenders mounted. If anything, the rim brake/pad is acting like a squeegee/brush/tire saver and reducing the amount of crud and grime flying all over the place. The rim brake happens to be positioned at the top of the wheel. If the rim brake/pad were positioned on the bottom of the wheel close to ground, the pads would be skimming off the crud and grime back onto the ground surface. You'd still get some buildup on the rim, but most of it would be skimmed off. Last time I checked, a disc brake rotor is a spinning object just like the rim. The disc pads are going to do the same type of skimming that a rim pad would do.
Quaint theory, but not how it actually works. Probably better you defer to the more experienced cyclists on this one.
Old 02-20-22, 09:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Quaint theory, but not how it actually works. Probably better you defer to the more experienced cyclists on this one.
I agree. Maybe one will show up and give his/her opinion to the thread. Again, why do you have fenders on that bike in the first place?
Old 02-20-22, 09:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I remember about 3 plus or minus years ago, I predicted that disc brakes would pretty much take over industry in 5 years. I was roundly denounced. But here we are.

Again the biggest advantage of disc brakes is the fact they do not ruin the rims, many of which these days are very expensive.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-20-22, 10:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
That's why you have fenders mounted.
Again, why do you have fenders on that bike in the first place?
This.

I don’t bill myself as an “all conditions cyclist” — but even I have a bike equipped with permanently mounted full-coverage fenders.
Old 02-20-22, 10:54 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My opinions for road bikes.

Rim brakes:
- work fine in 95% of situations
- are somewhat easier to initially set up and somewhat easier to maintain
- are very tolerant of slight misalignment
- are very light, simple and aero
-but-
- initial bite is terrible in wet conditions
- don't offer wide tire allowance
- don't really work well with carbon rims: they require special materials and brake surfacing to work at all and they don't work great even then

Disc brake advantages:
- have better modulation and brake feel all the time and work better in wet conditions
- allow infinite tire clearance
- are a much better setup for carbon rims
-but-
- are maddeningly intolerant of fraction of a MM misalignment
- are (marginally) more difficult to set up, especially hydraulic setups (although you don't really need to mess with modern hydraulic setups once they're setup)
- squeal like pigs if you slightly foul the brake pads, which is really easy to do. This can permanently ruin an expensive rotor through slip-stick patterning if you don't fix it. This is a problem that really needs to be solved.
- undeniably weigh more and are less aero

Overall, I prefer discs but they're far from perfect.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-20-22 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-20-22, 11:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by rydabent
I remember about 3 plus or minus years ago, I predicted that disc brakes would pretty much take over industry in 5 years. I was roundly denounced. But here we are.
Well, BF is not stocked with the sharpest bunch of industry pundits. Although I didn’t get my first disc bike until 2005, I figured discs were gonna be the bee’s knees from back in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s; sick anodized Formula units, Hayes Mag, and man, I remember my mind being blown when I first saw a MountainCycle San Andreas with ProStop disc brakes…
Old 02-20-22, 11:08 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts
This thread is not about any of that. It’s about rim brakes (on aluminum rims) making a lot of mess in wintry, wet weather
nope, it's about you complaining about a situation which you've dealt with for 16+ yrs? And even though there's a solution, you haven't taken it.
'Converting' a bike to Disc is not gonna be one - tried and not really workable for much riding...
so get ONE bike (w/disc), which you would really, really like and ride often, and make it THE bike for those conditions, and expect to be on IT for 90% of that time of year...
right?
you love bikes anyway... right ? LOL!
BITD - when riders wore wool and you had silks and bulletptoof cottons and there were only rim brakes, I had ONE bike I rode from Dec thru mid Mar (sometimes Apr). And it got the Jennifer Beals treatment after every ride. I still have V2 of that designated machine... lottsa crazy memories of getting doused by passing cars,trucks, buses... this back when 'riders' weren't considered 'strange/gay/weak/sissy/whatever'... everyone knew for certain we were ALIENS, in league with Klaatu... LOL!
Ride On
Old 02-20-22, 11:09 AM
Troul 

If the lever was cammed & the caliper gave assistance for the pads to retract with the piston, it might allow for a larger tolerance for the rotor & pads. The operator would have to get used to the feel initially, but that should be adaptive for the individual. Similar thinking to the der cable pull ratio differences between road & mtb components.
Old 02-20-22, 11:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by cyclezen
nope, it's about you complaining about a situation which you've dealt with for 16+ yrs? And even though there's a solution, you haven't taken it.
'Converting' a bike to Disc is not gonna be one - tried and not really workable for much riding...
so get ONE bike (w/disc), which you would really, really like and ride often, and make it THE bike for those conditions, and expect to be on IT for 90% of that time of year...
right?
you love bikes anyway... right ? LOL!
BITD - when riders wore wool and you had silks and bulletptoof cottons and there were only rim brakes, I had ONE bike I rode from Dec thru mid Mar (sometimes Apr). And it got the Jennifer Beals treatment after every ride. I still have V2 of that designated machine... lottsa crazy memories of getting doused by passing cars,trucks, buses... this back when 'riders' weren't considered 'strange/gay/weak/sissy/whatever'... everyone knew for certain we were ALIENS, in league with Klaatu... LOL!
Ride On
Good time last night? You sound like you’re still high AF!
Old 02-20-22, 11:28 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
People might notice when you make a reasonable comment if you didn't constantly proselytize about recumbents.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-20-22, 06:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts
Good time last night? You sound like you’re still high AF!
just havin some fun. and it's been 33 years since I've had to really deal with WEATHER... Our WEATHER is Wild Fire...
so wandering mind goes back to the days when I rode, and prolly coulda spent the time more sensibly... LOL! 'sensible' was never a high priority - and happier for it.
seriously though, with all the bikes you have, and the usual conditions in Mi from Dec thru April, you'd think it would be imperative to have ONE bike that can plow thru anything...
and not be a worry...
not everything needs to be a Garage Queen. A WheelHorse with a plow was a necessity I couldn't do without. The uglier it became, the more 'charming' it was...
save the Rim Brake Queens for those finest days. Get a Wheelhorse w/plow to make those other days, 'special'. LOL!
Plow ON
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 02-20-22 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-21-22, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Again the biggest advantage of disc brakes is the fact they do not ruin the rims, many of which these days are very expensive.

Please post examples of yourself being denounced for this about 3 years ago.

My memory of that time is that a lot of people were making that prediction, and others were basically saying we hope that isn't true.

Ideally, people should be able to choose between the two, but it doesn't take any special kind of knowledge to know that having separate production lines that make frames for both types of brakes is really expensive.
Old 02-21-22, 09:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I don't like any kind of brakes on my bicycle. They just slow me down.
Old 02-21-22, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
…and look forward to the day when I can replace them with discs on all of my all-weather bikes.

In the dry weather, I’ve no problem with rim brakes for my rolling terrain, but man, when it’s wet out, the pads throw so much crud and grime all over the place, it really makes for a messy situation and more demanding cleanup.

God forbid if you ever have any real problems in your life.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-22, 11:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by rsbob
God forbid if you ever have any real problems in your life.
Haha! Your lord already begged off that one…

I’m planning to replace this winter/spring roadie with not only disc brakes, but belt drive and IGH. Goddess willing.
Old 02-22-22, 01:32 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
All my bikes have disc brakes and they are the bees knees.

The really critical factor to maximize the bee-ie kneesiness, however, is disc size. I cannot understand all those people who go with the tiny rotors. My bikes all have either 559 or 622 rotors.
Old 02-22-22, 04:52 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
just another thing to break
Old 02-22-22, 05:01 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Originally Posted by Troul
just another thing to break
I'm actually surprised, given that the OP is riding that bike in those conditions, that it is possible to actually attain a speed that requires braking at all...

I mean, the crud that is sandwiched between the "fender" and tire, and the tire and stays should keep speed completely under control.
Old 02-22-22, 06:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
My commuter with disc brakes gets just has mucky and messy as my rim-brake bikes. Bike is going to get dirty if you ride in with snow around. But the muck and dirty isn't the real issue with rim brakes; it's the actual braking in the wet and mucky conditions that's more an issue.

RE: fenders
I had my doubts about the MK3's when I first bought them. The previous generation MK2's were great and lasted me for five seasons. But MK3s seem more durable and tough, and are starting to grow on me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.