Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmets NOT made in China

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmets NOT made in China

Old 04-04-22, 01:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep. That's where the rear tire strap is a little easier. Also, the Thule's swingarm for the front tire is plastic -- so I just clamp it over the fender and all is well so far. The 1up has metal where it contacts the tire, I believe, which wouldn't be quite as good.
Originally Posted by VegasJen
You do what you want and believe what you want. But when you ask me to reject common sense, I'm not going to play along.
You can't even figure out how to reply to a post properly, and you're nattering about "common sense"?
Old 04-04-22, 01:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Principles aren't subject to convenience, at least in my book. Oh, and in this book by Merriam-Webster: "a rule of conduct based on beliefs of what is right and wrong."
As a matter of principle, I don't drive my car for errands of fewer than 10 miles. So in "your book," if I use my car to pick up a nearby keg of beer or go to the library in a thunderstorm I no longer have a principle? That's absurd.
Old 04-04-22, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by earthworm94
Any chance I can buy a helmet that is NOT made in China? Just about any brand that I thought made in USA (Bell/Protec) are all made in China nowadays . Thanks.
ABUS Gamechanger, StormChaser, and AirBreaker are made in Italy.

Last year, ABUS bought an Italian helmet manufacturer.
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...t-manufacturer
Old 04-04-22, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I appreciate the options but holy cow! Those are expensive. Prohibitively expensive for me.
The KASK Valegro sells for down to $70 sometimes and the Rapido sells for under $100.
How much are you looking to spend on a helmet?
Old 04-04-22, 01:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I get it, but I need it to be at least somewhat competitive. This isn't a matter of I don't want to pay two or three hundred dollars. I literally don't have that kind of money to spend on a helmet. I'm currently an unemployed college student. My discretionary income is meager, to say the least. And I wouldn't mind buying German or Italian products. I know they can be competitive, I've worked in other industries in the past.

But why are there not more price competitive options from Taiwan or Honduras or Uganda? I'm pretty sure people in those nations would be happy to make helmets or baseballs or plastic spoons that are price competitive with China. Of course, I know the answer to this. It's just maddening.
I dont know why there are not more price competitive options coming from Honduras or Uganda. My initial guess is because the infrastructure doent exist in either country right now, but thats a total guess. For Taiwan, I am guessing it would be price prohibitive.

So since you know the answer, do tell.
Old 04-04-22, 01:49 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Rolla
As a matter of principle, I don't drive my car for errands of fewer than 10 miles. So in "your book," if I use my car to pick up a nearby keg of beer or go to the library in a thunderstorm I no longer have a principle? That's absurd.
You asked me a question, and I answered it, complete with a supporting citation. If you choose to define the word "principle" differently (without support), have at it -- and I won't call it "absurd."
Old 04-04-22, 01:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I'm currently an unemployed college student.
Hell, minimum wage when I first started working was $3.15/hr.
Federal minimum wage went to $3.35/hr in 1981, so…you’re, like, a 55 year old, unemployed college student? That takes courage. Kudos.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-04-22, 02:14 PM
Rolla

You asked me a question, and I answered it, complete with a supporting citation. If you choose to define the word "principle" differently (without support), have at it -- and I won't call it "absurd."
I'm just arguing your absurd assertion that making an exception to a principle renders it nonexistent. From the Cambridge English Dictionary: "if you agree with or believe something in principle, you agree with the idea in general, although you might not agree with all the details or support it in every situation." You're welcome to hold your absolutist view, but don't expect others to subscribe to it.
Old 04-04-22, 02:17 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by chaadster
Federal minimum wage went to $3.35/hr in 1981
The current federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour — a rate that was set when it was last raised in 1991.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/sta...ge/tipped/2021

Last edited by Rolla; 04-04-22 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Those situations indicate you've either misidentified what the principle is or that it's better classified as a "general rule" with exceptions rather than a principle.

"Matter of principle" does normally imply some absolutes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-04-22, 02:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

The current federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour — a rate that was set when it was last raised in 1991.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/sta...ge/tipped/2021
I was addressing VegasJen who said they “flipped burgers at Wendy’s,” which is not a tipped job anywhere in America, insofar as I am aware.
Old 04-04-22, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm just arguing your absurd assertion that making an exception to a principle renders it nonexistent. From the Cambridge English Dictionary: "if you agree with or believe something in principle, you agree with the idea in general, although you might not agree with all the details or support it in every situation." You're welcome to hold your absolutist view, but don't expect others to subscribe to it.
It's almost like English words sometimes have more than one definition. Shocking.

"In principle" has an entirely different meaning than "of principle".
"I won't x as a matter of principle" is an absolutist statement and has next to nothing to do with "I agree with x in principle", which is absolutely not an absolutist statement.

BTW ​​​​​VegasJen never claimed it was a matter of principle.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-04-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 02:47 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I believe MET helmets are 100% made in Italy like KASK. KASK is easier to get here though as the distribution channels are in place. There is at least one retailer (Jenson) who sells a limited selection of MET (or did), but last I read QBP was awarded sole US distributorship last year. So, if your LBS has a QBP account they can order you one. Or, you can order from somewhere like Merlin over in the UK.
Old 04-04-22, 02:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Uvex, in Germany. For a long time, you couldn't get one in the U.S. because they were not CPSC-approved, but now, Uvex has a CPSC test facility in their plant.
Mine has to be 10 years old at this point; it’s retired from sporting duty, but I keep it around as a spare and for when my kids’ friends come around and want to go for a ride. I reckon somethin’ old is better than nothing in those cases, and really, the quality on this Uvex (model F107, IIRC) is great, and it still looks in good condition, despite having been my main for many seasons.

Uvex “made in Germany” label
Old 04-04-22, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by mprince
I believe MET helmets are 100% made in Italy like KASK. KASK is easier to get here though as the distribution channels are in place. There is at least one retailer (Jenson) who sells a limited selection of MET (or did), but last I read QBP was awarded sole US distributorship last year. So, if your LBS has a QBP account they can order you one. Or, you can order from somewhere like Merlin over in the UK.
MET is designed in Italy, made in China, then finished and QC tested in Italy.
My MET Rivale has a made in China sticker. I am shocked it costs as little as it does since its travelled the world. made in China -> 'finished' in Italy -> Distributor in England -> used in Iowa.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-04-22, 02:56 PM
Nigity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

You can't go wrong with USA haha
Old 04-04-22, 02:59 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by chaadster
Mine has to be 10 years old at this point; it’s retired from sporting duty, but I keep it around as a spare and for when my kids’ friends come around and want to go for a ride. I reckon somethin’ old is better than nothing in those cases, and really, the quality on this Uvex (model F107, IIRC) is great, and it still looks in good condition, despite having been my main for many seasons.

Uvex “made in Germany” label
I had a pair of Uvex helmets that were terrific, but got rather old. When I went online to buy a new one, I found that my old model had been recalled -- and that Uvex was reimbursing buyers full MSRP and sending packages with prepaid return shipping labels. (My helmets had never exhibited the problem at the root of the recall.) They gave me more money than I had paid for them, but I didn't see anything in their lineup with MIPS and so went with another brand. But I do concur that they were terrific helmets with some (for the time) clever features.
Old 04-04-22, 03:03 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
MET is designed in Italy, made in China, then finished and QC tested in Italy.
My MET Rivale has a made in China sticker. I am shocked it costs as little as it does since its travelled the world. made in China -> 'finished' in Italy -> Distributor in England -> used in Iowa.
Thanks for the clarification, I've used MET since the early 2000's (except right now, I have a Bell currently) and had never looked for a country of origin label. I stand corrected...
Old 04-04-22, 03:09 PM
Koyote

I'm just arguing your absurd assertion that making an exception to a principle renders it nonexistent...You're welcome to hold your absolutist view, but don't expect others to subscribe to it.
I've not expected others to subscribe to any particular definition. My first response to you:

Principles aren't subject to convenience, at least in my book. Oh, and in this book by Merriam-Webster: "a rule of conduct based on beliefs of what is right and wrong."
My second response to you:

Old 04-04-22, 03:24 PM
Rolla

I've not expected others to subscribe to any particular definition.
Cool. Off it goes to the same landfill as your absurd assertion regarding the immutability of principles, then.
Old 04-04-22, 03:33 PM
Koyote

Cool. Off it goes to the same landfill as your absurd assertion regarding the immutability of principles, then.
So you never really understood my comments. That could explain our disagreement.

I never argued that principles are immutable. I stated that I do not alter my principles (or deviate from them) in response to inconvenience or cost. Those are two very different things. (You should really review the definition of immutable before responding.)
Old 04-04-22, 03:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You buy a helmet made in Italy online through some European website, you're not supporting your local USA business, .... When you buy a helmet made in China sold through your local LBS at least you're supporting your local business here in North America.
Old 04-04-22, 04:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I find it interesting that many of us are discussing the "ethics" of "buying American" while buying bikes made outside of America. I include myself in this discussion. My ethics won't allow me to buy a Trek for what they did to Greg LeMond over his accusations of Lance's lying and cheating. I also won't buy Specialized thanks to their suit over the Roubaix LBS in Canada. And, so it goes.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-04-22, 04:13 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
You buy a helmet made in Italy online through some European website, you're not supporting your local USA business, .... When you buy a helmet made in China sold through your local LBS at least you're supporting your local business here in North America.
True, but the profits go to China. Given the choice of profits going to China or Italy, I'll choose Italy. I bought my Kask helmet from a small local shop that I've been going to for over 30 years.
Old 04-04-22, 04:29 PM
Bosco13

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
And for the countries that do design and manufacture there own helmets, where do they buy their materials and the machines to do the manufacturing? Nevermind...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.