Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Interesting Article on the Covid Bike Boom

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Interesting Article on the Covid Bike Boom

Old 05-17-22, 05:20 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The peak of $8.3b may have been Q2 of '21, but the decline has been very gradual.

Consumption jumped from $6.1b to $8.2 b in 1 year- Q1 '20 to Q1 '21. It has dropped just $.7b in 1 year from Q1 '21 to Q1 '22.
So a $2.1b increase and a $.7b decrease in the same time period.
thinking the same, finding a couple drop bar bikes in the Midwest to compare the ride is still pretty difficult. I would assume the saturation point has to be close, then hopefully the supply outweighs the demand. Shopping is pretty frustrating, it’s to the point where I’m just about to put it on the back burner for a year.
Old 05-17-22, 07:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
IMO, BD had to drop those prices to stay competitive. They may be retailing stuff that is above an BSO, but they are not in the same league as the brand names when considering everything else & not just group sets.

I think they generally keep a low margin, so the increase reflected their high costs during that period, and are now coming back to their more normal levels. I would expect that might happen with other retail outlets as well.

Anyone following Canyon's pricing?
Old 05-17-22, 04:48 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I’ve definitely seen better availability of used bikes here in the southern Ontario market, which is one of the tightest, higher priced markets in North America. Bikes which would’ve been snapped up within a day are languishing for weeks if not months.
Old 05-19-22, 05:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
If the used bike market is anything like the pet market, that would be a solid YES. People in my part of the world are dumping the pets they picked up during covid all over the place. The humane societies are overflowing with dumped off pets. So sad. People are terrible.
We picked up an emaciated Dobie off the street. Really sweet girl.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 05-19-22, 05:34 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Still not seeing a lot of good used bikes in my midwest market at reasonable prices, and I have had trouble selling parts on FB marketplace / CL that should have been easy sells.

The bike shop supply situation is certainly interesting. It seems like the larger stores carrying the best known brands (Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc.) are full of low-mid range bikes in odd sizes that are overpriced. I still can't get things like Shimano chains (bought some fake ones online that lasted 300 miles...) at the bike shop either. I have no doubt that inflation pressure is real, but I also think a lot of the price hikes are feeling out the limits of greed. Polygon (DTC) has hardly increased prices at all over the past two years, and is one of the few good values left.

The early 2021 bump may also have been fueled by stimulus checks and people getting wary from COVID restrictions, maybe more new year's resolutions to be more active and such that never materialized beyond buying a bike and hanging it in the garage too.
Old 05-20-22, 10:03 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
SkinGriz Well done!!! Nice to know good people (and pet lovers) still exist. We now return you to your regular bike related thread.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 05-24-22, 02:26 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
no sign of people unloading new bikes on craigslist here

have noticed most bikes for sale are listed at inflated prices..seems to be the same ones for sale week after week

gotta go to FB Marketplace now
Old 05-26-22, 07:13 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69
I’ve definitely seen better availability of used bikes here in the southern Ontario market, which is one of the tightest, higher priced markets in North America. Bikes which would’ve been snapped up within a day are languishing for weeks if not months.
The asking prices of used bikes listed in my area are about 3x+ what they should be. As usual, there are also very few that are above entry-level. They don't sell and then seem to get reposted eternally on CL and FB. Some sellers post the same overpriced bike multiple times in a row, and the photos show low-end bikes in extremely poor condition. I think that may have caused many people to stop looking on CL and FB. Amazingly, I've found a couple of great deals recently.
Old 05-26-22, 08:19 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
We seem to be back to pre-covid conditions here in the DFW area. I hardly see people commuting by bike anymore or on trails in general. Car traffic has picked up again, bike shops seem to be fully stocked again and a lot of used ones offered as well. Prices don't seem to be crazy and there have been quite a few good deals out there. I wish I had more room for bikes.
Old 05-26-22, 09:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
MTB activity still seems strong in socal and bike availability is good. As far as new bikes, a few friends have purchased Trek Marlin 7 bikes for about $1K, a great deal of bike IMO. The CR market appears flat. I put up my Santa Cruz Superlite, which has a new Manitou Markhor fork, DT front wheel XT/XTR derailleurs and in good overall condition for $400 and didn't get one call, so (of course) I'm keeping it as a spare.
Old 05-26-22, 05:56 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
We seem to be back to pre-covid conditions here in the DFW area. I hardly see people commuting by bike anymore or on trails in general. Car traffic has picked up again, bike shops seem to be fully stocked again and a lot of used ones offered as well. Prices don't seem to be crazy and there have been quite a few good deals out there. I wish I had more room for bikes.
Yea, where is everybody? Gas prices are climbing daily, and there seems to be more people driving and fewer people cycling around my area. I am one of the few bike commuters out there. I do about 25 miles a day and find myself dodging more cars and trucks than ever.
Old 05-27-22, 09:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So? I predict the sun will rise tomorrow. It's always a safe bet that some of the bikes that are bought now will be great deals in 4 years. It's also a safe bet that some people will also try to sell some of their used bikes for too much money and that some people will overpay for some of those bikes.

My impression is they have bikes, but there's nowhere near the amount of selections available. If you're looking for something specific, "on order" or "sold out" is still pretty standard.
I also predict that a higher percentage of DF bikes bought now will be the ones sold. The reason, DF bikes cause pain to new riders. OTOH those that bought recumbent will be less likely to sell off their recumbent or trike, because of virtually no pain.
Old 05-27-22, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rydabent
I also predict that a higher percentage of DF bikes bought now will be the ones sold. The reason, DF bikes cause pain to new riders. OTOH those that bought recumbent will be less likely to sell off their recumbent or trike, because of virtually no pain.

This is another "sun will rise tomorrow" prediction.

Recumbent bikes are a tiny fraction of the bikes sold in the US. They are a lot harder to obtain than a DF bike. Someone who is buying a bent has probably put a lot of time and effort into finding an appropriate bike to buy, whereas anyone can basically find a new or used DF just about anywhere, so a greater proportion of DF sales will be impulse purchases and/or purchases that are just not well-researched. I don't need your cockamamie "cause pain" over-generalization to make that prediction, just the fact that people who buy bents need a fair amount of commitment to the project just to purchase it in the first place, while buying a DF is mostly just a matter of plunking down enough money.

Was there a COVID bent boom, btw? I'm skeptical.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-28-22, 03:29 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
The bikes I was looking at both went up in price from just a few months ago. GRX Ibis mx and GRX stigmata. Stigmata have to wait months. Ibis I bought a 55 when 53 might have been touch better for me.

Used gravel bike prices have not come down in the bay area. I don't shop enough mnt or road bikes to know a good deal.
Old 05-28-22, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
This is another "sun will rise tomorrow" prediction.

Recumbent bikes are a tiny fraction of the bikes sold in the US. They are a lot harder to obtain than a DF bike. Someone who is buying a bent has probably put a lot of time and effort into finding an appropriate bike to buy, whereas anyone can basically find a new or used DF just about anywhere, so a greater proportion of DF sales will be impulse purchases and/or purchases that are just not well-researched. I don't need your cockamamie "cause pain" over-generalization to make that prediction, just the fact that people who buy bents need a fair amount of commitment to the project just to purchase it in the first place, while buying a DF is mostly just a matter of plunking down enough money.

BTW in my city Lincoln. there are at least two bike shops selling bents and trikes. And Craigs List almost always has one or two for sale.

What I posted, is pretty much an on going thing. Middle aged or older people decide to exercise. They see people just rolling by on a bike, and make a snap decision that is for them. They go to a bike shop, and likely as not will end up with some form of mountain bike. They ride it, and right off they end up with a sore rear end, and find there is more effort than they expected riding up hills. After a couple dozen rides the $500 bike get hung up in the garage for four or five years, and is sold off at a garage sale for $50.

On the other hand if the person bought a recumbent or a trike, they experience no butt pain, but maybe just some tired legs. Second since most of them are not the racer type, they find the view from a bent or tike is fantastic. Yes they also find that hills are hard work, but with the comfort and view, they are willing to go ahead and get more fit. The end result Im sure is that bent and trike buyers keep their machines at a higher rate than new older DF buyers.
Old 05-28-22, 09:05 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
What I posted, is pretty much an on going thing. Middle aged or older people decide to exercise. They see people just rolling by on a bike, and make a snap decision that is for them. They go to a bike shop, and likely as not will end up with some form of mountain bike. They ride it, and right off they end up with a sore rear end, and find there is more effort than they expected riding up hills. After a couple dozen rides the $500 bike get hung up in the garage for four or five years, and is sold off at a garage sale for $50.

On the other hand if the person bought a recumbent or a trike, they experience no butt pain, but maybe just some tired legs. Second since most of them are not the racer type, they find the view from a bent or tike is fantastic. Yes they also find that hills are hard work, but with the comfort and view, they are willing to go ahead and get more fit. The end result Im sure is that bent and trike buyers keep their machines at a higher rate than new older DF buyers.
Nah, they be trad’n’ that bike for a shiny new e-bike where they can sit upright and beat cheeks ‘round the hood with minimal effort. Nobody be going bent unless it’s an e-bent.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 05-28-22, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Which is why I see so many more older people riding bents than DF bikes. Oh wait, I don't. It's probably 20 to 1 the other way.

Bents are a niche product. I don't need your ridiculous $500 mountain bike scenario to know that there will be fewer people selling an unused bent than df bikes.

You really don't need to make ridiculous claims about how bad df bikes supposedly are to extol the virtues of bents. One look at how much more popular df bikes are makes that line of argument rather stupid.
Old 05-28-22, 09:47 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I am betting the used market will really start to open up as inflation continues to take its toll and some people struggle to make ends meets and unload bikes to get some cash.
The used market is insane right now, but honestly I don't think many people who bought a fancy bike at the start of covid will be hurting enough to make ends meet. Poor people just don't spend multiple thousands of dollars on a single bike, and the bike boom was largely the laptop class buying high end bikes.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-28-22, 09:54 AM
LarrySellerz

I don't think so lol, I think its mostly high end road and mountain bikes. Ooh and e-bikes. Cheap commuter bikes were still available throughout the pandemic. recumbents are sweet, wonder if they are less visible to the cagers though
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-28-22, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The used market is insane right now, but honestly I don't think many people who bought a fancy bike at the start of covid will be hurting enough to make ends meet. Poor people just don't spend multiple thousands of dollars on a single bike, and the bike boom was largely the laptop class buying high end bikes.

Nonsense, cheap bikes sold out very quickly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-28-22, 01:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Nonsense, cheap bikes sold out very quickly.
I disagree but would listen to an expert/someone who sells bikes if they put their 2 cents in. I bought two new cheap hybrids during the bike shortage, one for me and one for my brother
Old 05-28-22, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I disagree but would listen to an expert/someone who sells bikes if they put their 2 cents in. I bought two new cheap hybrids during the bike shortage, one for me and one for my brother

Pretty much everything sold out at Wal-Mart, Target and Dick's very early on: https://www.wcpo.com/rebound/bicycle...lated-shortage
Old 05-28-22, 05:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts

Well, I agree with most of this statement, except I was not directly discussing the poor. There are plenty of people that have jobs and were\are not poor, but maybe decided to opt our of their jobs, that seems to be a trend lately. There are plenty of people that live above their means and the massive inflation we are seeing right could be the impetus that puts them over the edge between surviving to needing to unload stuff.

Old 05-30-22, 08:00 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
It has quieted down in my neck of the woods. More cars and trucks on the road, but not many cyclists.
Early on Covid (2020) we were seeing lots of families riding together. Don’t see that anymore.
Old 05-30-22, 10:23 AM
Guttooth71

Bikes: Vintage Valgan , Giant Revolt Advanced, Trek 300

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Freerojo
Early on Covid (2020) we were seeing lots of families riding together. Don’t see that anymore.
It is unfortunate how "life" returns and family time disappears.
Likes For Guttooth71:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.