Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kitten vs. Bike on rollers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 10:53 AM
Gomez308

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding on my rollers and our new kitten Oreo jumped up and got caught in the spokes. It made a very bad mess and ruined my wheel also. My wife is mad because there are kitty pieces everywhere. What should I do?? Pictures below.

OK. So I exaggerated a little. I really was worried about it happening, though. I guess I'll put her in the other room when I'm on the rollers.
Old 06-27-06, 10:59 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude, that's not even funny. Well, I guess in a sick and dimented way it is.

I grew up on a farm, and every now and then we'd get one of the cats caught in the hay baler. You can imagine the rest.

P.S. That is one cute kitty. My orange tabby helped me build my Trinity bike a while back.
Old 06-27-06, 11:03 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Teach the kitten to play fetch with that mouse. My cat fetches his mouse. He's way-old now (16 years!) but we used to throw a mouse over furniture and he'd launch himself over the same furniture to get the mouse. Now he just sorta waddles over and picks it up.
Old 06-27-06, 12:34 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
leave the kitten in the room and let Darwin work.
Old 06-27-06, 12:36 PM
awunder

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Zurich, 1990 Peugeot Bordeaux/105, 1986 Cannondale, 1972 Peugeot UO8... oh, I've lost count.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had three, and was very worried about that.

I was looking for a inexpensive solid rear wheel (non-existant). Now, years ago, they made plastic disks to clamp on to a regular wheel. I thought eBay, but no luck, so I was thinking of fabricating one. Never got about to getting a trainer though, so never did it. I think it would work, as it would prevent kitten parts from getting into the most dangerous part of the bike.
Old 06-27-06, 12:39 PM
Mothra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightning makes a carbon-fibre "disc wheel" attachment for spoked wheels. It clamps two clam-shells onto the sides of your wheel and seals off the spokes.
Old 06-27-06, 01:05 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Put your cat in a separate room, especially a kitten, they can be very curious..
Old 06-27-06, 01:16 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of something that happened to my wife last week, we recently adopted a 2 yr old Rottie from a RottRescue, the day after we got her my wife decided to run on our treadmill, the new dog went nuts and attacked it and ended up flying off the back and came back for more, it was quite a sight. Since that she has attacked a dustbuster, vacuum, Sonicare toothbrush and a Honda Civic, DOGS
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 06-27-06, 01:37 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eh... my dog came over to check me out while i was on the trainer a long time ago. i didn't even realize she was there until i heard the *zzzt!* *ZZZZT!* of her nose touching the spinning tire. when i turned around, she had her head cocked to the side and her tail wagging. basically the same look she gives when she's about to attack the vacuum cleaner. i slammed on the brakes and said "HEY!" before she got 28 spokes at 400 watts in the nose
Old 06-27-06, 01:42 PM
42x16
Up to no good

Bikes: Steelman EuroCross, Gunnar Streetdog, Independent Fabrications Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Sick, meanspirited bastard.
Old 06-27-06, 01:44 PM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahhhhh, nothing like natural selection at work. I like it.
Old 06-27-06, 01:49 PM
42x16
Up to no good

Bikes: Steelman EuroCross, Gunnar Streetdog, Independent Fabrications Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtjim

Teach the kitten to play fetch with that mouse. My cat fetches his mouse. He's way-old now (16 years!) but we used to throw a mouse over furniture and he'd launch himself over the same furniture to get the mouse. Now he just sorta waddles over and picks it up.
Yoghurt lids get my cat going, he could fetchs (and catches) them till he is worn out. My cats aren't really interested when I ride the rollers which won't happen again for 5 months.
Old 06-27-06, 02:13 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
eh... my dog came over to check me out while i was on the trainer a long time ago. i didn't even realize she was there until i heard the *zzzt!* *ZZZZT!* of her nose touching the spinning tire. when i turned around, she had her head cocked to the side and her tail wagging. basically the same look she gives when she's about to attack the vacuum cleaner. i slammed on the brakes and said "HEY!" before she got 28 spokes at 400 watts in the nose
I had a similar experience when I was working on my bike. She wasn't about to attack it, though, just looked up at me like she was curious. My dogs used to chase me down the street and try to herd me back home when I was testing my bike after working on it. Kelpi breed is related to Australian Shepherd

Cats are more curious than dogs, so I would keep the kitten away if you care for it. Forget Darwin for the time being, the US government keeps way more people alive than Darwin would have ever allowed anyway.
Old 06-27-06, 02:33 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a wind resistance device on the trainer. Sounds enough like a vacuum cleaner to keep the kitty away. Every cat I have had runs from whatever room a vacuum cleaner is running in.
Old 06-27-06, 04:02 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man; I was afraid I was going to see a repeat of the squirrel in the spokes photo. Cute cat. Put the cat in the other room. Bob
Old 06-27-06, 04:09 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Zing!

LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 06-27-06, 05:30 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Cats are more curious than dogs, so I would keep the kitten away if you care for it. Forget Darwin for the time being, the US government keeps way more people alive than Darwin would have ever allowed anyway.

Lol thats a fact. Had one cat chew through a phone cord and got nailed by the 50ish volts dc running through it. That was entertaining to see. It zapped him pretty good his first reaction was to jump next he tilted his head looking at what just bit him and then attacked it. Each time hed get zapped again. I unplugged the cord after about the 3rd or 4th zap heh.

He lived 15 or 16 years some how. Most cats have the sence to stay away from painful things after the first try he didnt heh.
Old 06-27-06, 05:32 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob S.
Man; I was afraid I was going to see a repeat of the squirrel in the spokes photo. Cute cat. Put the cat in the other room. Bob
Bah that squirrel in the spokes aint nothign compaired to my recent squirrel v bike kill head to tail both wheels. You wouldnt even want to see photos of that one if i had taken any...
Old 06-27-06, 05:37 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
Lol thats a fact. Had one cat chew through a phone cord and got nailed by the 50ish volts dc running through it. That was entertaining to see. It zapped him pretty good his first reaction was to jump next he tilted his head looking at what just bit him and then attacked it. Each time hed get zapped again. I unplugged the cord after about the 3rd or 4th zap heh.

He lived 15 or 16 years some how. Most cats have the sence to stay away from painful things after the first try he didnt heh.

people in the library must be wondering what on earth I am laughing at right now
Old 06-27-06, 06:03 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have three cats and they have no problems when I ride the rollers; in fact they show mild interest, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Tumble (by far the smartest of the three) is running a book on just how long before I take a fall, and how near I'll get to the TV…

- Wil
Old 06-27-06, 06:10 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
people in the library must be wondering what on earth I am laughing at right now

Its no wonder we have the old saying curiosity killed the cat.
I think the funniest thing i ever seen involving a cat had to be my neighbors beating the ever living crap out of a medium sized dog. The dog was having a blast chaseing the cat. It was unlucky enough to corner the cat so the cat went bezerk. All i seen after that was the red brown dogs fur flying through the air and the dog yelping all the way home.
Old 06-27-06, 06:11 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Archie chews on all sorts of things - most often, my toes when sleeping.

Old 06-27-06, 06:12 PM
ranger5oh
Just shy of 400W

Bikes: Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have really worried about this as well, I have two of the cutest Tonkinese kitties in the world!

[URL=https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e178/ranger5oh/P1010038.jpg][IMG]

Old 06-27-06, 07:31 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was doing laundry one time, took a load out of the dryer, left the door open while I took them in the other room. Came back, threw all the clothes from the washer into the dryer, close the door, start it and turn to walk away...

Whump, whump, whump, mmmmmeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrooooooooowwwwww
Whump, whump, whump, mmmmmeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrooooooooowwwwww

I opened the door as fast as I could, and our cat Shadow FLEW out and ran in the other room.

He had to walk past there on the way outside every time he went out. He'd walk on the OTHER side of the room from the dryer, and give it a dirty look.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-27-06, 07:34 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White cat against white rug isn't the most flattering of shots. I suggest either dying the kittens red, or finding a red rug.

Red bedding works as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.