Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I love tubulars!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I love tubulars!

Old 07-24-06, 11:57 AM
Sincitycycler

Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love tubulars!

I have alloy 32-spoke box profile alloy tubulars wheels on both my century bike -a Bianchi and carbon Scott Cr1 Pro (Conti sprinters) and I think that they are very solid!

Both are fairly light wheelsets at about 1520g each. Not bad weight for a wheel with a high spoke count.

They feel so sturdy on corners, make no contact noise at all (could be because the tires are 700x22) and the 32 spoke "classics" rim is so strong. Vittoria Mastick glue is the best!

Last edited by Sincitycycler; 07-25-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 12:06 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You finally stopped asking questions and pulled the trigger there huh? Aren't they great? I have been running my Sun 19A-II/Chorus (also 32 spoke 3x f/r) since this spring and wont be going back to clinchers for my roadie (my commuter will still ride on clinchers).

The only thing I miss from my Mike Garcia wheels is some stiffness which I believe came from the use of bladed spokes and a higher tension (I have had some issues with the build of these wheels, they are NOT from Mike). I have been thinking of getting a set of Eurus tubulars as a pretty set for events and photos.
Old 07-24-06, 02:08 PM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't understand why people ride tubulars for training. What would you do if you flatted 50+ miles from home? eat lunch and patch the flat tire while you wait for the glue to dry? What if its raining? ...A group sure isn't going to wait for ya. So they're light, might corner better, but can be a hell of a hassle.
enlighten me.
Old 07-24-06, 02:36 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillMut
I really don't understand why people ride tubulars for training. What would you do if you flatted 50+ miles from home? eat lunch and patch the flat tire while you wait for the glue to dry? What if its raining? ...A group sure isn't going to wait for ya. So they're light, might corner better, but can be a hell of a hassle.
enlighten me.
Carry some Vittoria Pit Stop and quit complaining
Old 07-24-06, 02:40 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
heh heh welcome to the dark side. . . .

one doesn't need to wait for glue to dry, the existing glue and the pressure
from the new tire are sufficient to get home, just take it a little bit easy
on the corners.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-24-06, 02:50 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't understand why people ride tubulars for training. What would you do if you flatted 50+ miles from home? eat lunch and patch the flat tire while you wait for the glue to dry?
If its your first flat change it with the spare you have strapped under your saddle alot faster then you could a clincher. If its your second...
Old 07-24-06, 03:02 PM
PrfectHair4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive never road tubulars. How reliable are they? Do they pop easily?
Old 07-24-06, 03:38 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well becuase there is no bead, either wire or kevlar, for the same given weight, they tend to be more durable as more material can be used in the tread area. They will not pinchflat either.

that being said, they are still susceptible to road hazards, but it has been my experience and others, that you seem to get surprisingly good mileage on them between flats, if you use training tubies.

If you're running 215G tufo elite's all the time, yeah, you'll cut them up. they are race day only and are a little more fragile.

180 psi on a smooth course criterium is heaven however.
Old 07-24-06, 04:55 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek

one doesn't need to wait for glue to dry, the existing glue and the pressure
from the new tire are sufficient to get home, just take it a little bit easy
on the corners.

marty
Correct. Done it meself plenty of times. The hard part is REMEMBERING not to dive into with a fresh front tyre on!
Old 07-24-06, 05:01 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I can't afford decent tubulars. One reason why my old polished Record Cronos wheelset has been hanging from my garage rafter since the mid 90's....
Old 07-24-06, 10:12 PM
Sincitycycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
enlighten me.
Well, the cool thing is that I won both sets (Ebay of course) of these wheels used in mint condition for a total of $100.00 and both sellers threw in some decent used tubular tyres that hold air.

I have 4 at my disposal and carry one in my seatbag as a spare. There ya go!
Old 07-24-06, 10:17 PM
Sincitycycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrfectHair4ever
Ive never road tubulars. How reliable are they? Do they pop easily?
Tubulars have a sort of "one-with-the-wheel" feel, which they almost are since they are glued on. I have found that 32 spoke wheels are bomb-proof- I won't go less than 28 spokes ever again at my size...

Dol they pop easily
My Conti Sprinters are like 4 ply(!) and can hold up to 170 PSI. I only run them at 130 rear and 120 front at 190 lbs.

I used to have so many pinch flats on my clinchers, the last when I was hammering a climb out of the saddle and while throwing the bike side-to-side, caught some rim, blew the seal and POW...#$%! a nice blow-out. The one before that was a hairy downhill blowout when I caught a small rock...geezus H...I had enough!

Besides, tubies are good for OCP points...gives you that "pro" set-up...

Last edited by Sincitycycler; 07-25-06 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 10:24 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
I have alloy 32-spoke box profile tubulars on both my steel vintage Bianchi (Gommitalia gumwall tires- incredible tires for $30.00/set on Ebay) and carbon Scott (Conti sprinters) and I love em!

Both are fairly light wheelsets at about 1520g each. Not bad weight for a wheel with a high spoke count.

They feel so solid on corners, make no contact noise at all (could be because the tires are 700x22) and the 32 spoke "classics" rim is so strong. Vittoria Mastick glue is the best!
I used Sprinters for some time before trying Tufos and I am never going back. Much nicer tires as they are rounder, truer, and role better, in my opinion.
Old 07-25-06, 01:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Your profile says sin city and I just sold a set of tubular race wheels through ebay for $100 to somebody in Las Vegas. Is one of your sets a 28h set on Dura Ace 8 speed hubs and Mavic GEL280 rims, coming from California? Just had to ask.
Old 07-25-06, 02:46 AM
Sincitycycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Your profile says sin city and I just sold a set of tubular race wheels through ebay for $100 to somebody in Las Vegas. Is one of your sets a 28h set on Dura Ace 8 speed hubs and Mavic GEL280 rims, coming from California? Just had to ask.
No, not me.
Somebody else who has seen the tubular light!
Old 07-25-06, 06:32 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
If its your first flat change it with the spare you have strapped under your saddle alot faster then you could a clincher. If its your second...
If it's your second, you're just as screwed as I am on clinchers.
Old 07-25-06, 06:42 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotek
heh heh welcome to the dark side. . . . marty
+1. Clinchers will never feel the same. Congrats on the bargain. I am currently enjoying some bargin SSC's tubular wheels & competion tires picked up a v. good price through Ebay. They are in the stealth mode, no decals, no nothin. Few riders seem to know what they are. No decals, no bling; Just a wonderful lightweight ride. Bob
Old 07-25-06, 10:52 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
If it's your second, you're just as screwed as I am on clinchers.
That's what a patch kit is for. I will say that the people I know who ride tubulars get flats less often, though. But in the rare case that they get 2, the ride is over. I only have one reason not to ride tubulars... I suck at gluing tires on.
Old 07-25-06, 10:59 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what a patch kit is for. I will say that the people I know who ride tubulars get flats less often, though. But in the rare case that they get 2, the ride is over. I only have one reason not to ride tubulars... I suck at gluing tires on.

You shoudl try the Tufo tape if you are gluing challenged Also the Velox tape is decent as well. I personally just use Fast Tac from 3M. It is a glue used for attaching trim panels to cars and it works VERY well for gluing tubies. Plus, you can ride it just a few hours afterwards if need be, although I give mine 24 to be safe. No multi day bs with it.... just put a thin bead on the rim and spread it out with your finger (wear some latex gloves!) and let that sit for about 3 minutes. Then run another bead of glue around the rim and put the tire (partially inflated) on the rim. Adjust the tire to center it and inflate fully.... you're done!

Worry abotu flats you say? Carry a can of the new Vittoria Pit Stop.... no more worries!

See, no excuses now! Go get some tubulars!!
Old 07-25-06, 11:16 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's your 2nd an option is to ride it home - carefully. The tubie will lay flat on the rim and becomes quite rideable, at least relative to walking. I finished the last 5 miles of a 40K state TT on a rear flat and still finished within 2 minutes of my PR. Limped home many a time on a flat. Can do the same with a clincher but they are pretty squirrelly and take some clever bike handling.

Another trick I learned is to ride the brake for a few minutes after replacing the flat with the spare. This will warm up the glue and allow it to grab the spare tire a little better. I've never had a spare roll off a rim.
Old 07-25-06, 12:04 PM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really don't understand why people ride tubulars for training. What would you do if you flatted 50+ miles from home?
This post presumes that the OP can actually ride his bike 100+ miles in one day.
Old 07-25-06, 12:27 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what a patch kit is for. I will say that the people I know who ride tubulars get flats less often, though. But in the rare case that they get 2, the ride is over.
That's what a 'sew-up' patch kit is for. While I don't carry one these days, I have, on a few occasions, repaired tubulars road side. The best I can say for that process is: It helps build character. Bob
Old 07-25-06, 12:45 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Most of my past tubular repairs have ended up with lumpy tires.....and my mother even taught me how to sew as a kid...
Old 07-25-06, 12:50 PM
Motophoto
UberClydesdale

Bikes: Klein,Panasonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a can of the Vittoria Pit Stop Velcroed under my seat bag just incase one of my Conti. Sprinters gets a flat. Puts my mind at ease just knowing its there. I have not had reason to use the stuff yet and the Sprinters are going strong for months now. I put a piece of velcro on the can and another through the rails on the saddle and the little can stays stuck right in there out of the way for many bumpy miles now.
Old 07-25-06, 09:25 PM
Sincitycycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by briscoelab
You shoudl try the Tufo tape if you are gluing challenged Also the Velox tape is decent as well. I personally just use Fast Tac from 3M. It is a glue used for attaching trim panels to cars and it works VERY well for gluing tubies. Plus, you can ride it just a few hours afterwards if need be, although I give mine 24 to be safe. No multi day bs with it.... just put a thin bead on the rim and spread it out with your finger (wear some latex gloves!) and let that sit for about 3 minutes. Then run another bead of glue around the rim and put the tire (partially inflated) on the rim. Adjust the tire to center it and inflate fully.... you're done!

Worry abotu flats you say? Carry a can of the new Vittoria Pit Stop.... no more worries!

See, no excuses now! Go get some tubulars!!
spread it out with your finger (wear some latex gloves!)
Better tip from Lennard Zinn's book: Disposable flux brushes from Home Depot. Cheap!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.