Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you want to draft me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you want to draft me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 08:02 PM
Granny
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you want to draft me?

I was out spinning today - trying to deal with the torn rotator cuff I got from a crash a couple of weeks ago - and this guy comes up from behind, pulls a bike length or so ahead, looks back and asks "do you want to draft me?". I wasn't really sure how to take it - was he being a tool or honestly trying to help. It does seem like a pretty insulting thing to say - kind of insinuates that the person needs help. I wouldn't roll up beside one of the handicapped guys out training in a racing chair and ask him if wanted me to push. Seems pretty self evident that the guy is out there to do his own workout. I just told the guy no thanks, that I was out there to do my own thing.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive - getting PMS or something.
Old 07-26-06, 08:06 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
you coulda dialed it up to about 1100 watts, turned back to him and said.......

"ok, you ready?"

I was riding with a guy once, just me and him and he did that. I was at LT in his slipstream trying to keep pace, about to die, he looked back and asked me if I was freaking ready.

I said yea, he was gone.
Old 07-26-06, 08:10 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I think that you were right. The proper thing for him to say was "Do you want to exchange pulls?" By saying that he gives "props" to you even though he has caught up to you. After that it is "OK" if he pulls 90% of the time.
Old 07-26-06, 08:22 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he was coming on to you....

Did he seem sincere? I doubt he was just being an ass but you never know.
Old 07-26-06, 08:33 PM
Starclimber
Blue Straggler

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he interpreted your easy spinning as fatigue and figured you wanted to latch on but were too polite to do so, and maybe too shy to ask. So, he offered his wheel. Possibly he meant to grind you off his wheel to prove his absolute superiority, but I doubt it. Opportunity missed, Granny. Then again, was he a fat old guy on a beach cruiser? Now THAT would be insulting.
Old 07-26-06, 08:49 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, normally this is a women's forum comment, but what if one of the riders was female? oh, wait, i think i've seen this derailment in other road forums. some juvie will be in here next going, "You can score, dude!" I'd rather add my 2 cents to say, hey, it can be fun, just not in your circumstance right now. don't read malice into friendliness.

My experience: crossing the street after a stop, another rider and I progress to the path on the other side and start up. he turns around and asks, "Are you falling in?" stunned, because i'm not used to strangers speaking to me (and all too aware of the etiquette involved), I stutter with a no, but then, ask, "are you offering?" he was, so i did, took my turn pulling, and 7 miles later can't keep up and get spit "out."

It was fun, and my 30-something mile ride turned to 45, so why not? of course, this was a ride, not a recovery or a spin. Maybe you're just not at peace with the spinning rides. i feel like a goof when i do them -- lots of apparent effort and not going anywhere as everyone and their grandmother passes by. But they are Oh So Good For You. Glad to hear you're mending ...
Old 07-26-06, 09:39 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't happen to be riding on route 208 in Orange County were you? Because this past Tuesday, I was riding home after a club ride and passed a guy just spinning up the hill. As opposed to being a jerk and just blowing by him I slowly approached his wheel, and when there was no traffic from behind I said hello and asked how he was doing. Then I said, "Do you need a pull or anything?" Figuring I was about to speed on by but didn't want come off as an arrogant self centered meat-head, I thought I'd extend an invatition for a ride. I guess some people might take it the wrong way. I didn't really have anything to say to the guy. The only thing we had in common is that we were both riding bikes. It was the first thing that came to my mind. Does that make what I said/did insulting? Should I have done something else?
Old 07-26-06, 10:29 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think people worry way too much about drafting and being drafted. Getting snarky about someone offering you a wheel? Sheesh. If you didn't want or need it the appropriate response is "no, thanks" or something to that effect. But you should not get insulted by having been offered (nor or accepting the offer of) a pull...that's free speed, man!
Old 07-26-06, 10:38 PM
Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny

Maybe I'm being too sensitive - getting PMS or something.
Yes, that could definately be it or it could be something to do with your insane 2/cal per week diet j/k But yah, a big drop in calories and all can put people in a cranky mood. Anyways, hope you're doin' all right with the riding, dieting, and pain from that crash. GO GRANNY GO!

And don't beat up any *&$&ed up drivers! We got tons of them here in Toronto and wow, sometimes I just wish I had a rocket launcher attached to my bike.
Old 07-26-06, 11:26 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its like a driver asking someone walking along the highway if they want a lift.

Without being there to see the expression or hear the inflection, I can only assume he was trying to be nice and offer free speed as was pointed out above.
Old 07-26-06, 11:49 PM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarery
Without being there to see the expression or hear the inflection, I can only assume he was trying to be nice and offer free speed as was pointed out above.
That would be my take as well.
Old 07-27-06, 03:03 AM
cmcenroe
Reverend

Bikes: 2005 Trek 2100, Iro Angus Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be stoked to have a pull offered to me.
Old 07-27-06, 03:59 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny
this guy comes up from behind, pulls a bike length or so ahead, looks back and asks "do you want to draft me?"
You sure it wasn't Boy George singing "do you really want to draft me?" to himself?
Old 07-27-06, 06:22 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Starclimber
I think he interpreted your easy spinning as fatigue and figured you wanted to latch on but were too polite to do so, and maybe too shy to ask. So, he offered his wheel. Possibly he meant to grind you off his wheel to prove his absolute superiority, but I doubt it. Opportunity missed, Granny. Then again, was he a fat old guy on a beach cruiser? Now THAT would be insulting.
+1. Nice answer. Bob
Old 07-27-06, 06:33 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are thinking too much. nice gesture, wrong assumption.
Old 07-27-06, 06:39 AM
SBSpartan

Bikes: I have a lease with an option to buy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you need to stop being such a little girl.
Old 07-27-06, 06:40 AM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could be that the guy is like me, nearly always riding alone, occasionally getting into a nice line, and he wanted to return the favor to a fellow cyclist. Maybe he just wanted a chance to lead for once, and maybe be nice and have someone to ride with for a while. It might not have had anything to do with you appearing to be slower or fatigued. Then again, who knows...
Old 07-27-06, 07:28 AM
40-Dan
Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
"Do you want to exchange pulls?"
LOL!!! Not exactly what you want another man in spandex to say to you.

I kill myself sometimes.

Regarding the OP, I'll throw my hat in with the "he was just trying to be friendly" camp.

Dan