Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't Shift into Lowest 2 Gears?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 12:52 AM
branbro4935
GT Aggressor Pro Upgrades

Bikes: GT Aggressor pro 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just installed a 8-speed Shimano Altus shifter, derailleur and Cassette. Everything seemed to be working fine when I was initially adjusting the derailleur but then when i tried to shift to the top 2 gears it stopped, I don't mean the chain stopped but the shifter shifted, I mean the chain stopped because it's like the shifter isn't a 8-speed shifter, it's like it's a 6 speed shifter, after I get to 3rd gear it just stops and the shifter won't move. What do you guys think may be going on? Is it just a matter of needing more adjusting, loosening the cable, do you think i got a defective shifter maybe incorrect indexing? I do plan on taking it to my LBS tomorrow but I'd like to hear what you guys think may be happening because if it's something I could do and save some money by not going to the LBS that would great. Again it's a shimano Altus 8-speed derailleur, Altus 8-Speed Trigger shifter and Altus 8-speed cassette. The shifter won't go past 3rd gear no matter how hard I press it.
Old 02-08-22, 01:02 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
take the cable loose from the derailleur and make sure the shifter will go through all clicks starting at the first. there will be seven clicks ending in eigth gear
Old 02-08-22, 07:45 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Presumably you installed a new cable and housing, too. Perhaps a housing ferrule wasn't set all the way onto the housing. The first shifts compressed it into place, and now it's acting like the cable is too long. Try resetting the cable again. First tug on it pretty hard a couple of times to set all the ferrules into place, and the ferrules into the stops. This is a good time to practice limiting the torque on the pinch bolt--repeated tightening of the bolt will fray the cable.
Old 02-09-22, 10:37 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Presumably you installed a new cable and housing, too. Perhaps a housing ferrule wasn't set all the way onto the housing. The first shifts compressed it into place, and now it's acting like the cable is too long. Try resetting the cable again. First tug on it pretty hard a couple of times to set all the ferrules into place, and the ferrules into the stops. This is a good time to practice limiting the torque on the pinch bolt--repeated tightening of the bolt will fray the cable.
Disconnect the cable and see if it will go into the bottom two cogs. If not, then it is a lower limit screw issue most likely. If it does go into the smallest cogs, then it's a cable issue: either the cable was not connected properly, has internal friction issues, or simply set up wrong.
Old 02-09-22, 10:50 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Can we assume you mean the two largest cogs, a.k.a. the two lowest gears? It sounds like you just need to adjust the limit screw on the derailleur.
Old 02-09-22, 10:57 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Limit screw (L)
Old 02-09-22, 11:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
from park tool adjusting and indexing

Old 02-09-22, 12:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Does it give you extra shifts going in the other direction? You may not have had it set to the end of the ****ing when you installed the cable. Or limit screw as mentioned.