Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear on a group ride

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-09-22, 05:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts

How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride? Would you want them to have two brakes or would a front brake be sufficient? Think they are worse than a TT bike even if the rider stays off the aerobars? I saw a fixie on a group ride once, he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days. Im getting a track bike soon and was planning on running a front brake to start out, and don't plan on doing hooligan stuff like whipskids. Are drop bars nececary, I know bullhorns can get caught up in the handlebars of dropbars, but flat should be fine right
Old 06-09-22, 05:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20800 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Definitely a-okay.

Report back after your ride.
Old 06-09-22, 05:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride?
I'm 12% less offended than when someone joins a group ride shirtless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-09-22, 05:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride?
Mostly fine, although if it's a spirited group taking tight corners at speed it could be an issue depending on BB height and crank length, if they're really trying to ride in with the group and aren't exercising good judgement.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-09-22, 06:08 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Once went on a ride with an experienced rider who passed me on a hill climb. He was on a fixie, I was on a triple

i was shamed 😁
Likes For Symox:
Old 06-09-22, 06:10 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Old 06-09-22, 06:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Sure, I take my fixed-gear on almost all of our club rides. I think most people don't even notice what it is.

It's the kind of club where people generally ride touring bikes with panniers on them, if that tells you anything.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-09-22, 07:07 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Not appreciated in a performance group. You will rubber band the riders behind you.
Old 06-09-22, 08:52 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
No problem, Our group has several fixies. They typically stick with the middle pack and seldom jump out with the hammer heads.
Old 06-09-22, 09:18 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Old 06-09-22, 09:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,911 Times in 2,544 Posts
Put on a thousand fix gear miles before you join the group. Or more. You have to be completely past attempting to coast when something happens. That momentary pause that is so instinctual to anybody brought on bikes that coast will take the rider behind you down in a flash. And I can promise you, you won't be very popular in those circles.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-09-22, 09:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity. I'm so glad I've reached an age where I don't have to prove something to anyone but me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-09-22, 09:58 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity. I'm so glad I've reached an age where I don't have to prove something to anyone but me.
I was training with track bike races as my goal before I met the ride.. I wouldn't do anything that is dangerous. The big street races are track bike only
Old 06-09-22, 10:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Occasionally you’ll see a fixed gear on the local Saturday ride (River Ride). Usually a trackie riding a track bike with brakes. The ride pancake flat, so gearing isn’t too much of an issue. There are a couple of corners, but again not too bad if you have an experienced FG rider. I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they knew what they’re doing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-10-22, 12:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
I was training with track bike races as my goal before I met the ride.. I wouldn't do anything that is dangerous. The big street races are track bike only
I'm not sure you'd know. I mean, you've got another post up asking people if it's okay to ride with your seatpost out well past the minimum insertion, and then arguing with them when they tell you it isn't and then explain why.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-10-22, 05:43 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days.
Fixies can be faster than geared bikes, it all depends on the route and the situation.

BUT, it would be wise to stay in the back. On fast and tight corners, where you need to lean deeply into the turn, you can't go as fast as riders on SS or geared bikes. If you end up in the middle or the front and you need to brake before such turn, you might cause the group to crash.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-10-22, 05:50 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Once went on a ride with an experienced rider who passed me on a hill climb. He was on a fixie, I was on a triple

i was shamed 😁
Riding a fixie on your optimal cadence on a climb would make it faster than geared bike because it would be lighter. Many hill climb racers use fixie or SS because it can be a good way to get things as light possible without breaking the bank.

And it's also training. Do enough of low cadence work climbing hills on high gear and your low cadence power will improve. Although that isn't the best way to maximize your power and efficiency on the bike.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-10-22, 06:10 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Originally Posted by ayteex1
i need 10 posts
Don't make any more junk posts like this as they will be deleted.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-10-22, 06:17 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity.
Or as my parents used to call it, an attention-getting mechanism.
Old 06-10-22, 08:09 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm 12% less offended than when someone joins a group ride shirtless.
Some of you never played shirts vs skins in highschool sports and it really shows
Old 06-10-22, 08:50 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride? Would you want them to have two brakes or would a front brake be sufficient? Think they are worse than a TT bike even if the rider stays off the aerobars? I saw a fixie on a group ride once, he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days. Im getting a track bike soon and was planning on running a front brake to start out, and don't plan on doing hooligan stuff like whipskids. Are drop bars nececary, I know bullhorns can get caught up in the handlebars of dropbars, but flat should be fine right
the only thing you need to concern yourself with is not to unconsciously mimic the other group riders when they coast - could make the ride way more interesting as you're launched into the air. Flat bars should be fine, but I would have two brakes - I know all the fixie-heads talk about about how they can stop on a dime by back-pressure on the pedals, but in a group ride, two brakes rule for controlled breaking. When you become an FG expert like 79pmooney, and all your groupmates know this, feel free to run one brake. Until then....
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-10-22, 08:55 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
When I was track racing I would frequently do this & often others didn't even notice. Had a non race bike with a front brake and a bottle cage for road use. Like anything else it depends on the rider and the ride.

Back in the day it was common for roadies to do base miles fixed. Before the freehub/cassette it was easy to convert a road wheel to fixed with a single thread on cog, throw on an old chain and go.
Likes For Voodoo76:
Old 06-10-22, 08:59 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
Some of you never played shirts vs skins in highschool sports and it really shows
Yes, we did. But, we learned as adults that shirtless is not the right choice for some activities. We also learned to recognize humor when we see it.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 06-10-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-10-22, 09:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
I am good riding with an experienced !!! fixed gear rider (with a front brake) in a group or riding with him / her. I am fine with experienced riders riding TT bikes in group. To me it is situational and depends on the experience of the group, the rider(s) in question, the speed and terrain. Fixed with a front brake is okay for flat to rolling such as on Canada Road, Woodside and most of Silicon Valley. It would suck riding over Skyline to the coast and back. Most of the time, riders who want to ride fixed on the road, ride with others who are on fixed and it is used for off season / early season style riding on easy terrain.

Spectrum would be interesting fixed and I am sure it has been done.

When I lived in NorCal, there was a guy I often saw on Canada Road riding fixed gear, wool jersey and he was really good.

With respect to handlebar selection, I suggest a drop bar setup with a front brake and maybe a fake hood on the side that does not have the brake. That give you 3 riding positions - tops, drops and hoods.

Only drop bars and aerobars are allowed at the track - Hellyer. If you show up with flat bars /bullhorns or with a brake, you will not be allowed to use your bike and have to rent one. And aerobars are not allowed at beginner sessions.
Old 06-10-22, 09:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Larry, when you set up the track bike, For your size, I suggest 1/8 chain, cogs and chain rings. Avoid the 3/16 road setup. And use a rear lock ring. IMO/experience you can get excellent rear wheel braking by back pressure on the pedals. The front brake is necessary for the road to match the braking capability of the other riders and it is easier on the legs.

At the track, I am able to stop rather quickly without skidding via back pressure on the pedals. I try not to do that and use the banking and other techniques to reduce speed. However, sometimes the rider in front just slows (ran out of power) and back pedaling is effective at reducing speed suddenly. Without a lock ring, it is possible to wind the rear cog off the rear wheel - very bad.

Last edited by Hermes; 06-10-22 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.