Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The car, a seductress

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The car, a seductress

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 11:18 AM
DigitalQuirk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like most things, I started out with the best of intentions. I was going to be a hardcore cyclist; riding my bike at all times, going anywhere regardless of the weather or distance. I had owned cars when I was a teenager, but they were pieces of junk that rarely lasted a few months at a time, and I found the expense of owning a clunker to be overwhelming. Even borrowing a car and gassing it up when I was done put a big dent in my rather sparse pocket book (it didn't help that the car I'd borrow was an older Malibu with a gas-guzzling V8).

I found myself needing to compensate my cyclist lifestyle for a number of factors. Riding in sleet with a driving wind was downright painful; so was riding any distance whenever there was a deep freeze. Sometimes the rain comes down like a monsoon; other times, the wind blows faster than I can ride. I learned the bus schedule so I could use that when winters worst became unbearable; though I couldn't shake the fact that the bus didn't always run when I needed it to, which was the reason why I started riding full-time in the first place! Then there was the long distance trips which I used the train for; the train wasn't all that cheap. I started counting the reasons why it'd be nice to own a car, and it wasn't difficult to come up with a big list.

I discovered my direction in life and went to college to study Information Systems. I was quite good at what I did and earned more money part-time after school than I did before when I was jumping between security and construction labour. Being a minimalist who didn't even own a TV, the money saved up rather quickly; before I knew it, I had enough that I could afford a decent car. Add in previous reasons why I'd want to own a car, and I thought, why not just get a cheap little economy hatchback; just for those bitter days of winter, trips to the grocery store, transporting PC towers, monitors, and long trips to the parents. I could still ride the bike and use the car as a backup, right? At the age of 23, I bought my first real car.

My car really was a minimalist's dream. It was a silver Nissan hatchback with a miserly little carburated (!) engine that couldn't have made more than 50 hp. It was clean with no rust, no damage, and ran well. There wasn't a single power option; even the steering was manual. The floor had rubber instead of carpet. Fold down the back seats, and it swallowed my Miele (with the front wheel removed). The stereo, a hack job done by the previous owner, failed to work. I loved it.

It started out innocent enough. I offset the cost of insurance (about $60 a month) by moving to an apartment a bit further away from the College, which was that much less in rent. I moved everything I owned in three trips. I started out splitting the riding and the driving...oh, who am I kidding? When I locked the door to my apartment, I looked at the 2 other keys on my chain; one for the bike lock, the other for the car. Then I'd check the gas gauge in the car, find it mostly full, hop in and drive. I intended to ride more, but between college, work, grocery shopping, and laundry, a tank of gas would last me a month and cost me $15-$20 to fill. I was paying for the insurance; surely I couldn't let that money go to waste by leaving the car parked with a full tank of gas!

On those damp rainy November days and chilly winter mornings, she seduced me with her warm, dry, protective coccoon; I basked in the warmth of the heater as the big drops of rain were swept away with the wipers. Maintenance was pocket change; $8 for a DIY oil change every 3 months, an $8 air filter once a year, $6 in spark plugs once every two years. A parking pass at the College was $60 for the year. It was costing me less to operate my car for a year than it cost me to buy a bus pass every month! More importantly, it became addictive. It felt good to be cruising down the road, hand on the wheel, arm on the window sill.

My intention to ride quickly faded from my memory. I got a 2nd hand tape deck stereo for free, which I wired in correctly to make those long trips more bearable. I'd get sunburn on my neck if the sun shone through the back window, so I tinted my windows and did a nice job of it. I installed a set of fog lights I bought on clearance to improve visability when the weather was foul. I even painted the hub caps black to match the tint. It then occurred to me that I was filling the time I used to spend maintaining my bike on my car, as I slipped down the slippery slope known as customizing.

Other aspects of my life started to change. Women started to notice me, seemingly for the first time. People actually associate the car with me; it becomes part of my identity. I wasn't just a guy anymore; I was a guy with the car. I was recognized by by car first. It did not matter to anyone that it was a frugal econobox. I was treated better at places of business and even at my job after I'd pull up and park in a spot in my car. Combined with the euphoria of owning a solid, reliable car, I realized that I could not live without it.

Inevitably, I had opportunity to drive other cars. Since my car was the cheapest, lowest model possible, every other car I drove was better. My wife's Cavalier that she had when I met her had over twice the engine power and air conditioning; it didn't slow down on steep hills, could maintain its speed on the highway, and the air conditioning was glorious in the middle of a heat wave. Riding with my friend in his Acura while he carved up a back road caused me to realize the benefits of good handling characteristics, and I absolutely loved the acceration of a powerful engine; it's quite addictive. Driving a rental Altima, I appreciated the interior room and trunk space of a midsized sedan. Another rental, a Sunfire in the middle of winter, taught me the benefits of traction control and ABS. My aching right foot on long drives made me wish for cruise control. Seeing others driving with an open sunroof made me think, that must be nice. Yet I persisted in driving my econobox, as I bought my first house and as my wife gave birth to my first child, and I continued to earn a better wage with every passing year. Cheap insurance and fuel economy were still concerns, but much less so than they once were.

Something happened that made me realize life for what it was: My father-in-law died at the age of 58. Other people around me were dying as well; aunts, uncles, even an old friend of mine died in his early 30's. I then realized that if there's something you want in life, do it now because there's no second chance.

Today, I drive that well-handling midsized sedan with a powerful V6. Every available option is at my fingertips (and then some). Yes, I even have the sunroof. As I drive it, I realize that people have become over-dependant on their automobiles, and I can see why. I fully understand why someone would want something more powerful, better handling, with more options. Even the most basic car is a seductress. I still enjoy riding my bike, I can see the problems that automobiles cause (in paticular to the waistlines of those who over-use them), but they are so ingrained in our culture, I really don't see any turning back. They've been around for over 100 years now, and their popularity continues to grow.

So I say this; it is noble to go car-free or car-lite when you have access to an automobile, but understand the reasons why people own cars; why they're seduced into buying them. You would have a better time convincing a hardcore smoker to give up tobacco than you would getting someone to give up their car completely. With understanding comes enlightenment, and with that, we can all agree to disagree and respect each other's choices, whether we think they're good or bad.

Last edited by DigitalQuirk; 02-18-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-18-06, 11:37 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalQuirk
I found myself needing to compensate my cyclist lifestyle for a number of factors. Riding in sleet with a driving wind was downright painful; so was riding any distance whenever there was a deep freeze. Sometimes the rain comes down like a monsoon; other times, the wind blows faster than I can ride. I learned the bus schedule so I could use that when winters worst became unbearable; though I couldn't shake the fact that the bus didn't always run when I needed it to, which was the reason why I started riding full-time in the first place! Then there was the long distance trips which I used the train for; the train wasn't all that cheap. I started counting the reasons why it'd be nice to own a car, and it wasn't difficult to come up with a big list.
Big deal. You love your car. How nice for you.

I didn't read your entire biography, but I made it through this paragraph. I am rounding the corner on my third winter of commuting, and I assure you that I don't feel pain due to rain, wind or cold weather. I have learned a lot about gear through this forum and especially through expeience, so I stay toasty warm in all condiions. Also, I'm in good enouh physical condition, thanks to riding, that wind doesn't bother me either. Like you, I don't like the bus much, so I don't ride on it very often. My bike serves me nicely

I'm sorry that carfree living didn't work out for you. But do you really think your wordy posts are going to convince me or anybody else that it can't be done, when we are living proof that it can be done? I think you just want a rise out of us. Maybe you enjoy negative attention?

Or do you want us to help you deal with the disappointment that we can do it, and you can't?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-18-06, 12:05 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I say this; it is noble to go car-free or car-lite when you have access to an automobile, but understand the reasons why people own cars; why they're seduced into buying them. You would have a better time convincing a hardcore smoker to give up tobacco than you would getting someone to give up their car completely. With understanding comes enlightenment, and with that, we can all agree to disagree and respect each other's choices, whether we think they're good or bad.
So what are you saying with your novel, exactly? Please don't hate me? I meant well but I failed? It wasn't my fault? I don't get why you posted this.

Most of us car-free advocates are well aware of the issues we face getting people to give up their selfish addiction to car use in urban centres. Frankly I don't think we will significantly reduce car use until we take steps such as banning driving on smog warning days and aggressive advertising campaigns ("Your car exhaust killed my grandmother" might work, or "I miss 10 work days each year due to asthma caused by your car." Hopeless hyperbole, but that's advertising for you!). Before we do even that, however, we need to make sure that options such as cycling and transit are available.
Old 02-18-06, 12:23 PM
DigitalQuirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My point was to provide some insight, and to illustrate that negative attitudes such as yours isn't going to help your cause. Instead of alienating motorists, you'd be wise to involve them.
Old 02-18-06, 12:23 PM
david.l.k
Reading Rocks!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I'm 18 I've only been riding for a year and this is my first winter season. The other day I was riding in freezing rain, I had a cake of ice on my jacket and pants (neither water proof) but because I had long underwear layred underneath I was fine. Yesterday I biked to and from school in windy icy conditions with 89 km per hour gusts.
I don't see my self as macho or anything because of this and I don't find it painful. I just accept the reality of the weather as it is rather than craving, "oh if only I had a car". I realize that weather conditions are impermanent, sure you get some windy days and some rainy days, but what the hell. That's what life is like, you've got your ups and your downs. I don't believe I will ever be able to justifie owning a car because riding a bike isn't comfortable enough. Since I started riding I've been getting attention from girls like never before.
As far as people who say you need a car to pick up chicks, bullsh it. Attitude is everything, the most slovenly poor ugly guy in the world could pick up a stone cold fox if he knew how to play his cards right, ones mode of transportation is no excuse for not picking up the ladies.
I always say, any man can drive a subaru in the winter, but it takes a real man (or woman) to bike.
Old 02-18-06, 01:46 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you guys are coming down too hard on DQ. Variations of his story play themselves out millions of times over in our car culture dominated society. He rides a bike and at least tried living car free, which is much more than many, many other people would even consider doing.
Old 02-18-06, 03:38 PM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My point was to provide some insight, and to illustrate that negative attitudes such as yours isn't going to help your cause. Instead of alienating motorists, you'd be wise to involve them.
I'm still a bit confused. You seem to make broad assumptions about people here. Who and what do you mean to address specifically? I don't think there are many things I do which would alienate car drivers. Unless my lack of fat and the broad grin I walk in to the office in the morning sometimes with, is offensive to them. I don't think many people in this forum walk around behaving like jerks. But whenever I get behind the wheel.... then I turn into a jerk. Reason enough for me never to drive.

Oh and and just one more thing.... your bit about people and women noticing you for the first time because of your car is hilarious. Don't you think it's actually a (not very flattering) statement about you more than a statement about cars or living car free?
Old 02-18-06, 03:55 PM
DigitalQuirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aggressive advertising campaigns ("Your car exhaust killed my grandmother" might work, or "I miss 10 work days each year due to asthma caused by your car."
This sort of thing only serves to alienate motorists and does nothing to help the cause of cycling advocates.
Old 02-18-06, 05:25 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

. . . This sort of thing only serves to alienate motorists and does nothing to help the cause of cycling advocates. . . .
I don't see how your driving a car is helping the cause either. Why are you preaching at us? I don't know your intentions, but my first impression is that it's hypocritical when a guy comes here, talks about how much he loves cars, then tell us we're somehow failing to advocate cycling. Besides, while some are cycling advocates here, many are more into the carfree thing primarily.

Other than you (maybe), most car dependent people who post here are honestly trying to be less car dependent. Is that your intention also?

Besides....What's wrong with alienating motorists? Or is it our job to make them (you?) feel good about their behavior?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-18-06, 05:33 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't have a cause. We aren't advocates. That's the advocacy forum. We are people who live our lives without cars, as much as possible. Your post might belong in the advocacy forum (car advocacy perhaps), but not here.

This forum isn't for convincing people to become car free or not to become car-free. It is for the dealing with the challenges that result form being car-free.
Old 02-18-06, 05:43 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by becnal
We don't have a cause. We aren't advocates. That's the advocacy forum. We are people who live our lives without cars, as much as possible. Your post might belong in the advocacy forum (car advocacy perhaps), but not here.

This forum isn't for convincing people to become car free or not to become car-free. It is for the dealing with the challenges that result form being car-free.
Thanks becnal. You summed it up a lot better than I did. I've had a lot of trouble trying to understand why people post in defense of cars. There really isn't much chance that carfree people are going to be dissuaded by lovesongs to the automobile! Neither will those who want to be be carfree, or are just thinking about it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-18-06, 06:13 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is this addressed to?
Old 02-18-06, 06:25 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sort of thing only serves to alienate motorists and does nothing to help the cause of cycling advocates.
This has nothing to do with cycling, or cycling advocacy. It has to do with what I believe will be the next big health crisis.

Back in the 70's, people were in denial about second hand smoke. In the same way, I think people are now in denial about smog. Is Ottawa, where I live, smoking is illegal in all public places. There are no penalties, however, for driving your car through the city during smog warning days. On days were people with asthma or similar health conditions, and the elderly are cautioned to stay indoors due to poor air quality and people are asked to bike, walk, or bus instead of driving there is no penalty for ignoring the health warnings and driving. I have asked people why they drove on smog warning days. Most didn't know about the warning, the rest either didn't care or didn't believe it was a problem. Meanwhile hospital emergency rooms show high numbers of people coming in with respiratory problems, and Ottawa's biggest source of smog is car exhaust.

I don't give a damn about alienating motorists, really, because to me a motorist in an urban centre is essentially committing assault, just like someone blowing tobacco smoke in my face. (Yes, I am using strong language, I want to make a point). At this point is it long past time for aggressive advertising and regulatory measures to force people to leave the cars at home.

As I said before, however, cities also have a responsibility to provide public transit and safe travel for pedestrians and cyclists. You won't achieve responsible car use until that happens.

PS- Please do not remove my name/handle from direct quotes.
Old 02-18-06, 06:29 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal

Yup!
Old 02-18-06, 06:31 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I don't see carfree living as a cause that I'm advocating. I think it's an experimental and somewhat visionary lifestyle, difficult to achieve under present conditions in the US. I think in the future a lot of people might become carfree or car-lite under conditions not of their own choosing. If that happens, I hope the accumulated experience of carfree pioneers will be a helpful social resource.
Old 02-18-06, 06:36 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
Personally, I don't see carfree living as a cause that I'm advocating. I think it's an experimental and somewhat visionary lifestyle, difficult to achieve under present conditions in the US. I think in the future a lot of people might become carfree or car-lite under conditions not of their own choosing. If that happens, I hope the accumulated experience of carfree pioneers will be a helpful social resource.

Just a note here (and Platy, I don't mean to pick on you, your post just brought this to mind) - this isn't an American forum, the contributors of BikeForums.net come from around the globe. This forum nay be heavily US dominated, as are most on-line forums, but when people make sweeping statements they should remember that not everyone who will read them is in the USA, or even in a Western Country.

(Sometimes I wouldn't mind a BikeForums.ca)
Old 02-18-06, 06:57 PM
DigitalQuirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see if I can sum this up.

I started off living car-free, up until the age of 23. Then I was seduced by the automobile. Today, I'm attempting to lighten my dependance on the automobile. I thought posting my story would provide some introspective and open up some positive discussion. Unfortunately, I fear there's too much bitterness and negativity here for there to be anything productive for people who still need the use of an automobile while lightening their dependance on it.

What is quite sad is that the first two responses are dripping with bitterness and made me feel alienated. I'm trying to ease my dependance on the automobile, as I feel that going car-lite is a noble cause...but after some of these responses, I'm thinking, why bother? I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with a bunch of people who harbour such bitterness to motorists; perhaps I'll stick to trail riding on my mountain bike.

I bid you all adieu.
Old 02-18-06, 07:01 PM
DigitalQuirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick P.S.; when attributing the cause of smog, I think you'll find that things like coal-fired electric generating stations cause far more smog than cars do. Might want to do some research into that. Oh, and...

PS- Please do not remove my name/handle from direct quotes.
I don't see as I owe you any such courtesy.
Old 02-18-06, 07:01 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patc
Just a note here (and Platy, I don't mean to pick on you, your post just brought this to mind) - this isn't an American forum, the contributors of BikeForums.net come from around the globe. This forum nay be heavily US dominated, as are most on-line forums, but when people make sweeping statements they should remember that not everyone who will read them is in the USA, or even in a Western Country.

(Sometimes I wouldn't mind a BikeForums.ca)
Hmmm, but Platy is from the U.S. so he is speaking from his experiences. Feel free to add your perspective from other countries or hemispheres as you did in one of your posts above but allow Platy and anyone else who wants to, to relate his/her own thoughts based on what they know. I don't know about Platy, but I can say that I know a lot more about the culture and social aspects of the U.S. than I do about other countries. I feel comfortable making sweeping generalizations about my own country, but not the world.

Platy's post was the only one that made much sense in this entire thread anyway. I love coming into this forum and dropping bombs like that.
Old 02-18-06, 07:13 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuter
Hmmm, but Platy is from the U.S. so he is speaking from his experiences. Feel free to add your perspective from other countries or hemispheres as you did in one of your posts above but allow Platy and anyone else who wants to, to relate his/her own thoughts based on what they know. I don't know about Platy, but I can say that I know a lot more about the culture and social aspects of the U.S. than I do about other countries. I feel comfortable making sweeping generalizations about my own country, but not the world.

Platy's post was the only one that made much sense in this entire thread anyway. I love coming into this forum and dropping bombs like that.
I see patc's point. For international content, here is a link to a very interesting Russian carfree website that I stumbled on a few weeks ago. There is an English page if you look for it.

Carfree Russia

I think our little group right here is possibly the best and most active carfree forum in the world.
Old 02-18-06, 07:27 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuter
Hmmm, but Platy is from the U.S. so he is speaking from his experiences. Feel free to add your perspective from other countries or hemispheres as you did in one of your posts above but allow Platy and anyone else who wants to, to relate his/her own thoughts based on what they know.
Hey, I made a point of saying that I wasn't picking on him!

And I have contributed my experiences to this forum, noting when applicable that my perspective is as a Canadian.
Old 02-18-06, 07:33 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick P.S.; when attributing the cause of smog, I think you'll find that things like coal-fired electric generating stations cause far more smog than cars do. Might want to do some research into that. Oh, and...
Did you miss the bit where I mentioned I was speaking about Ottawa? I'm sure I could dig up the stats on our air quality if you want... car exhaust is by far the largest component. We're not an industrial area, nor do we have coal power plants nearby (sadly we do have coal power plants elsewhere in the province.)

I don't see as I owe you any such courtesy.
It's not just a matter of courtesy/etiquette. Quoted text without attribution is likely to be missed by the person you are responding to, and may get confusing for everyone.
Old 02-18-06, 07:36 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
I think our little group right here is possibly the best and most active carfree forum in the world.
Pretty sad if you think about it, although I guess countries in which being car-free/car-lite is the norm probably don't need a "living car-free" forum.
Old 02-18-06, 08:27 PM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm trying to ease my dependance on the automobile, as I feel that going car-lite is a noble cause... but after some of these responses, I'm thinking, why bother?
You're either suggesting that we keep you from using your car less, or that because of the responses you got here, you will not start using your car less, out of spite. Both are pretty ridiculous. You seem to be very dependent on others' approval.. Make up your mind as to what you want to do, and then do it.

BTW, your first post didn't contain the slightest indication that you want to attempt to use your car less. In the light of this, the replies you got were to be expected, I would say. This is after all the "Car free" forum.
Old 02-18-06, 08:29 PM
Slow Train

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is quite sad is that the first two responses are dripping with bitterness and made me feel alienated. I'm trying to ease my dependance on the automobile, as I feel that going car-lite is a noble cause...but after some of these responses, I'm thinking, why bother? I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with a bunch of people who harbour such bitterness to motorists; perhaps I'll stick to trail riding on my mountain bike.

I bid you all adieu.
DQ,

I thought your post was honest and well said. I too thought that some of the responses were vituperative and, as best as I can tell from previous postings, out of character for them. I blame it on mid-winter blahs - we all need a little Spring soon

I hope you continue reading the forum, post again in the future, and maybe the next time you are somewhere driving your car you find yourself thinking what a golden oppurtunity you just lost for a nice bike ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.