Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

mavic KSYRIUMS. which one do you use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 01:28 AM
mikev102

Bikes: 2005 Rocky Mountain Solo AL:30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello.

which mavic ksyriums do you use? what kind of riding do you do on these wheels? training, racing, etc?

i am thinking about the ES or the SSC SL's..

any comments.. just no custom handbuilt wheels trash talk as it has not revelence to me as i live in canada and we don't hand build wheels very much. we just buy them for big $$$ from the retailers.

thanks...

-mike.
Old 07-14-06, 02:38 AM
audiojan
Roadie/Duathlete

Bikes: Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSC SL's. Used for training and some road racing. Really nice and predictable wheels.
Old 07-14-06, 05:28 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by audiojan
SSC SL's. Used for training and some road racing. Really nice and predictable wheels.
+1. SL's can usually be found on ebay below the common retailer price. Bob
Old 07-14-06, 05:47 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
$550 at my LBS

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 07-14-06, 06:57 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got Elites that have 12,000 miles on them. I just had to have them sent back to Mavic for the typical Ksyrium knock. The point where the nipple and rim meet cracked and it ruined the dish on the rim. People have always said that the spokes can pull through the rim. But Mavic is fixing it for me.... still, I loved the value. I am getting a new hub, spokes, rim... essentially a new rear wheel. Great. Any other wheelset, and I'd be screwed for sure. These roads out here have seen better days.

**I just bought some Velomax Circuits. They are being cleared out everywhere. These formerly $440 wheels (same as the Elites) can now be had for as low as $325. Look twice as them. Elites will now be my back-up's and rain wheels.
Old 07-14-06, 07:03 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
I've got Elites...because they came with my bike.
Old 07-14-06, 08:53 AM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using a pair of 2003 SL's I bought used. I like them a lot. I used to have a pair of Elites until the rim cracked at a spoke hole (typical of old Elites, new design fixed the issue). Both are excellent wheels with the SL's 200gr lighter. I would also say that the SL's are laterally stiffer yet seem more comfortable to ride.
One thing common to both, you can ride for miles and miles before even having to do any adjustment (truing). They also resist very well to potholes.
Old 07-14-06, 08:59 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Also riding on on a set of '05 SLs. I've had them for just under 3 months, with around 3,500 miles on 'em.

While I've been very pleased with the feel & performance, on wednesday i joined the club of ksyrium sl owners who had a spoke pop on them (on the drive side of the rear wheel). the wheel was so floppy that it took me almost an hour to ride 8 miles home.

it was an easy enough fix at my LBS, and cheaper than i thought - 16€ including a new spoke and nipple/nut, although i'm still a tad irritated that it happened to such a new set of wheels. it's not as if i'm too heavy for them at 155 lbs.

Last edited by botto; 07-14-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 09:02 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mikev102
hello.

which mavic ksyriums do you use? what kind of riding do you do on these wheels? training, racing, etc?

i am thinking about the ES or the SSC SL's..

any comments.. just no custom handbuilt wheels trash talk as it has not revelence to me as i live in canada and we don't hand build wheels very much. we just buy them for big $$$ from the retailers.

thanks...

-mike.

I have both. About 3-4K miles on each set (the ES's and the SL's). These wheels are bombproof - and generally about as light as clincher rims get. Can't overstate how durable these are. Astonishingly so. 20+ years of riding high end race bikes and I've never seen any wheels that come close to how tough these are, so all this weenie wheel trash talk that goes on here is meaningless to me.

I ride 12K miles per year. And my wheels never even need trueing. That works.
Old 07-14-06, 09:17 AM
sep999

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the sl, they have been great, they role well, they are light, and they stay true. The only problems have been self induced. BTW, I weigh close to 200 lbs.
Old 07-14-06, 09:28 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by audiojan
+1 for me too .. I ride them exclusively on my main and backup road bikes. They are truly bombproof ... I have approx. 8,000 miles on my first set from 00/01' and they have not been trued ... still going strong and straight. I'm a club rider ... riding all types of terrain and distances and speeds. I'm sold on them.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 07-14-06, 09:38 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I have equpie. he he. Held up pretty well. I think I well over 1k miles on them since I bought a bike in Spring.
Old 07-14-06, 10:33 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

My favorite Ksyrium experience: on a fast group ride last Fall (all racing dudes) going 38+ mph down a moderate hill (every bit of that, no exaggeration, the ride was hammering). I took a nasty pothole straight on my front rim. * BAM!! * So hard the handebars ROTATED DOWN against the stem. I figure the bolts on the stem were loose. Nope. They were quite snug. So that was quite a shot. I've done that before with traditional rims - and they almost invariably popped a spoke, needed trueing, got a flat spot... the SL's? Nada. Perfect. Unscathed.

THAT is amazing. Like I said, I ride a lot, on some rocky roads. After a year or so on Ksyriums I doubt I'd ride other wheels again. Maybe Zipps if I raced. But the Ksyriums are just SO strong. I think it's that bladed spoke configuration. Great wheel design. My bike shop told me without hesitation they were the most trouble free wheelset I could own. By far the best in that regard I've seen.
Old 07-14-06, 10:36 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
My favorite Ksyrium experience: on a fast group ride last Fall (all racing dudes) going 38+ mph down a moderate hill (every bit of that, no exaggeration, the ride was hammering). I took a nasty pothole straight on my front rim. * BAM!! * So hard the handebars ROTATED DOWN against the stem. I figure the bolts on the stem were loose. Nope. They were quite snug. So that was quite a shot. I've done that before with traditional rims - and they almost invariably popped a spoke, needed trueing, got a flat spot... the SL's? Nada. Perfect. Unscathed.

THAT is amazing. Like I said, I ride a lot, on some rocky roads. After a year or so on Ksyriums I doubt I'd ride other wheels again. Maybe Zipps if I raced. But the Ksyriums are amazingly strong. I think it's that bladed spoke configuration. Great wheel design.

had an identical experience with mine on the 2nd ride i had them (the idiot in front didn't call it out).

the bars rotated, wheel was fine. if it wasn't for the popped spoke of two days ago i'd have NO complaints whatsoever.
Old 07-14-06, 11:27 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Suffice it to say they're good, tough wheels. And relatively light for clinchers @ 1400-1600 grams (depending on the model and who's weight stats you believe). The Ksyrium ES's are very schwag looking too : ). Pricey, but nice.

Ah, what price bike weenie bling, eh?
Old 07-14-06, 12:14 PM
mikev102

Bikes: 2005 Rocky Mountain Solo AL:30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I have both. About 3-4K miles on each set (the ES's and the SL's). These wheels are bombproof - and generally about as light as clincher rims get. Can't overstate how durable these are. Astonishingly so. 20+ years of riding high end race bikes and I've never seen any wheels that come close to how tough these are, so all this weenie wheel trash talk that goes on here is meaningless to me.

I ride 12K miles per year. And my wheels never even need trueing. That works.
hey thanks for responding to my thread.

just a brief question. Is there a noticeable difference between the SL's and ES? Which ones do you prefer to use in racing? Do you train on them also? Are the ES worth the money, as they top the ksyrium price category?

any other comments regarding these wheels would be very beneficial to my potential purchase of these wheels from mavic.

with much thanks.

-mike.
Old 07-14-06, 12:49 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a set of SL's. I chose them because I found a great deal and knew they were sturdy wheels. Indeed they are.
Old 07-14-06, 07:54 PM
mahv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have the ES wheels and as the above they are exceptionally tough. Hit many stones and smallish potholes and still true. Very stiff and because of this not the most comfortable wheeel on rough roads. Highly recommended for smoother roads. I too get sick of all the handbuilt wheel blather that goes on here - still I don't have to read it so I shouldn't whine.
Old 07-14-06, 08:11 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive used both SL and elite both are exceptional wheels and neither set has really needed truing
Old 07-14-06, 08:13 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by mahv
Have the ES wheels and as the above they are exceptionally tough. Hit many stones and smallish potholes and still true. Very stiff and because of this not the most comfortable wheeel on rough roads. Highly recommended for smoother roads. I too get sick of all the handbuilt wheel blather that goes on here - still I don't have to read it so I shouldn't whine.
Some of the hand built wheel stuff may be valid - but ultimately they're all toast if you hit potholes that Ksyriums would laugh off. And forum hooey aside, I have enough personal experience to KNOW this first hand. I suppose it depends on what's important to you. Ksyriums are close enough to the lightest wheels out there (within 100 grams or so of the lightest clincher wheelsets I've seen) and much more durable than any of them - I'd say they're the ideal solution. At least for me.

Results may vary. But Mavic wheels certainly do seem to have a ton of fans - both on BF and in the real world. I think Mavic's doing something right.

Last edited by patentcad; 07-15-06 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 08:24 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 06 ssc sl's. Bombproof and great all round for racing and fast club rides. Go to a local RR and you'll see these everywhere.
Old 07-14-06, 08:52 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by C_heath
$550 at my LBS
I wish that my lbs was as reasonable as yours. I'll trade you even up. Bob