Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When is a "Display Bike" Acceptable?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 09:22 PM
Young Version

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've recently acquired the Bianchi Super Pista frame listed in my sig. It's in excellent shape for its age...no dents or dings, but a few chips here and there. The frame was a gift from my girlfriend, for whom it cost several paychecks. Overall, it's very meaningful to me.

I'm planning to build it up with either original or period-correct parts; it came with Gipiemme Pista cranks and Cinelli 67-39 bars, neither of which are original. Both of these will be replaced as money and fortune permit.

Since the bike is a pure track bike and therefore has no provisions for a brake, riding it on the street would be foolish. Additionally, if I were to crash and inflict irreparable damage, I would feel awful. I have no experience at all riding on the track, and the nearest one is roughly three hours away.

For the above reasons, I've made the decision to make the bike sparkle and hang it in the living room as art. I suspect this will bother some people, but ultimately it is my decision to make.

So, my question for the C&V folk is...when is it okay to just leave a bike on display and never ride it? Is it a matter of sentimentality, value, rarity, condition, or all of the above? What would make you decide to never ride one of your bikes again?
Old 04-25-10, 09:26 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
IMO, it's up to you, but a bike not being ridden is a shame.

It's kinda like those car people that buy a car and then rub it with a diaper.

If you have a 50 year old Rene Herse built by Herse himself, using one of a kind lugs, with steel that was hand forged by him, using custom designed derailers and was all original? That would be a wall bike.

Anything mass-produced (and by that, anything you can buy more than one of) should be ridden and appreciated. You can't appreciate a book on a shelf - neither can you appreciate a bike on the wall.

If I were you, I'd ride it on the MUPs, throughout the neighborhood, etc. Places where you probably wouldn't have to stop right-the-heck-now, but you'd still be able to ride and enjoy it. Why own it if you don't ride it? Why buy a bottle of wine to not drink?
Old 04-25-10, 09:54 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy. If you are truly worried about a bike and you are content hanging it on a wall, go ahead and do so. I only find it sad when a bike is sitting in a garage where it will get dented, scratched, and rusted.

For me, irreplaceable bikes are the only ones that I would hang. However, irreplaceable could be due to sentimental attachment just as easily as the 50 y/o Rene Herse mentioned above.
Old 04-25-10, 10:06 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My only issue with leaving the bike unridden is that I would worry about the possible adverse effect on its mechanical condition - lubricants not being distributed evenly around the bearings, and so forth. I feel pretty strongly that mechanical things need to move from time to time to remain in optimal condition.

Other than that, it doesn't offend me in the least if you choose to hang it and display it. It's your decision to make in any event, and I find your reasoning persuasive.

Last edited by buck mulligan; 04-25-10 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:10 PM
sancle1

Bikes: CANNONDALE R200,SPEACIALIZED LANGSTER,ROCKY MOUNTAIN THIN AIR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take it out for a spin or two then hang it up. nice frame by the way.
Old 04-25-10, 10:12 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
my only issue is you haven't posted pictures of your super pista :-P
Old 04-25-10, 10:19 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not try a keirin brake? They make them for front and back, just use cable clips (or zip ties) to secure the rear brake cable.
It's not ideal, and track forks aren't the best forks for braking (the round blades don't resist brake force as well), but it'll get you riding it, and I bet your G/F would really like to see you enjoying it.
-Gene-
Old 04-25-10, 10:52 PM
Otis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Mine has not been down off the wall in a couple of years. Does not bother me a bit. Nearest track is a 4 hour drive, and that's the only place it's going to get ridden while I own it.

https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/otis/superpista/

Regarding your want list. Original spec is 32 hole OR 7's. Don't forget to tie and solder them, that's how they came from Bianchi. Don't go by mine as the rear is a replacement from parts I had on hand.
Old 04-25-10, 11:21 PM
Young Version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
Mine has not been down off the wall in a couple of years. Does not bother me a bit. Nearest track is a 4 hour drive, and that's the only place it's going to get ridden while I own it.

https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/otis/superpista/

Regarding your want list. Original spec is 32 hole OR 7's. Don't forget to tie and solder them, that's how they came from Bianchi. Don't go by mine as the rear is a replacement from parts I had on hand.
Heh...I'm glad you posted here, as yours is more or less the model for mine; I have all of the pictures saved for frequent reference (it's a gorgeous bike, by the way). You do have a few pieces I can't seem to find, including the panto track stem and Mavic ORs. Until I can find either, I'll be using an un-pantographed 3T track stem and GL330s. I'm also using a slightly newer Unicanitor and a plain Campy seatpost. In the end, I'd like it to be 100% original, but I understand that this will take time and money.

Interesting that you say the original rims were OR7s--the catalog lists them as OR10s, though catalogs are frequently wrong. Should I be pursuing OR7s instead? I have to confess that the only reason I'm looking for 36 hole rims rather than 32 is that I already have the hubs.

Re: Keirin brake--I've considered this option, but I think buying a fairly inexpensive road fork would be safer. In any case, I'd be masking every painted surface vulnerable to road debris before any rides, no matter how short.
Old 04-25-10, 11:48 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You will have best luck finding OR7s in 36h anyways.
Another option is the record du monde de l'heure which were the predecessor to the OR7s and avialable in both 20 and 22mm, gold and silver finish.
I think your reasoning is justified so long as you don't. Use the fact its on the wall to keep from riding it.
Deflate the tires on display but once a year make a pilgrimage to the track so it can be used for what it was made for.

I'm not much of a track fan myself but as soon as I find the right cranks I have to treat my holdsworth track bike right by taking it to the velodrome when I can. Aside from that it is a beautiful decoration.
Old 04-26-10, 06:56 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't that kind of like if your girlfriend bought you a shirt and you refused to wear it?
Old 04-26-10, 02:33 PM
Otis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Young Version
Interesting that you say the original rims were OR7s--the catalog lists them as OR10s, though catalogs are frequently wrong. Should I be pursuing OR7s instead? I have to confess that the only reason I'm looking for 36 hole rims rather than 32 is that I already have the hubs.
My mistake, I was thinking of the Super Corsa's. I checked my bike and the front wheel, which is original to the bike is a 10. Although it is 32 hole. But no biggie going with 36's, that's what I did for the rear, as I had a hub and rim in that size.
Old 04-26-10, 03:02 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my opinion:

take a picture of it (hi rez).
use above picture as computer background.
sell bike (can even use above picture).
get a bike you can ride.
Old 04-26-10, 03:53 PM
Young Version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Isn't that kind of like if your girlfriend bought you a shirt and you refused to wear it?
My girlfriend is fine with it being used as a decoration, though I'm sure she would be happy to see me riding is as well.

Originally Posted by Otis
My mistake, I was thinking of the Super Corsa's. I checked my bike and the front wheel, which is original to the bike is a 10. Although it is 32 hole. But no biggie going with 36's, that's what I did for the rear, as I had a hub and rim in that size.
In that case, I will continue my search for the elusive OR10s. Thanks for getting back to me.

Originally Posted by illwafer
my opinion:

take a picture of it (hi rez).
use above picture as computer background.
sell bike (can even use above picture).
get a bike you can ride.
I ride every day, to and from school, on my other Bianchi. I have other bikes to ride.

Somehow, a digital image and having the real thing in my living room don't have quite the same appeal. Additionally, having the option of riding it has a certain allure.
Old 04-26-10, 04:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Under the circumstances, I'd display the bike also. Possibly, taking it to a track to ride it would be a nice treat for some point in the future.
Old 04-26-10, 04:10 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look at it as an opportunity.

Restore it.
Hang it on the wall.

Once a year, do some maintenance then take it out and ride it. Find an annual fun ride event to take it on - something relatively short to reduce exposure time and preferably on a route closed to motor traffic during the event.

Bring it back home and clean it up.
Hang it on the wall until the next year.

Last edited by Mike Mills; 04-26-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 04:49 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I use a keirin brake on two of my track bikes - and I've never noticed any lack of stopping power. I use mine sparingly, as a back up. Most of my braking is done with my legs. I put electric tape around the fork legs where it clamps on, to protect the paint. I also have a "wall hanger" '79 raleigh track bike that I ride as a cafe' bike, without brakes. I rarely ride it more than a few miles, and only on nice days. I would sell it before I would render it to display-only status, it was built to be ridden!
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 04-26-10, 05:01 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I have a few bikes I'm never going to ride. It goes against one of my basic collecting principles but I just cant bring myself to sell the '72 PX-10, '74 Paramount track bike, 1980 Colnago Mexico, or the '73 P13-9 Paramount.

Its yours...do as you wiish.
Old 04-26-10, 05:04 PM
norskagent
car dodger

haha this thread reminds me of this:https://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...-eleven-p1.php
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 04-26-10, 05:17 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
haha this thread reminds me of this:https://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...-eleven-p1.php
Awesome!!!
Old 04-26-10, 05:29 PM
Ragooch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by norskagent
I also have a "wall hanger" '79 raleigh track bike that I ride as a cafe' bike, without brakes. I rarely ride it more than a few miles, and only on nice days. I would sell it before I would render it to display-only status, it was built to be ridden!
This is what cracks me up about the whole argument. A fine track racing bike used as a "cafe bike" for a few miles is NOT riding. I seen no difference in hanging it on a wall or using it like that. Basically it's the same thing, you are looking at (or trying to be seen on) the bike. "Riding" a track bike is hammering it out on a track on a open day or actually racing it. Watching guys *****foot around at 15mph in the city on fine track iron with deep drops is a joke to me, I actually think it's much more respectful to hang it up on the wall.

Most of the folks here have no problem calling old bikes "art" (usually when they are not even close), but let's say they do qualify as art. Why can't you enjoy just owning them and looking at them. Sorry folks, your bikes have no souls, and could care less if they are being ridden or hanging on a wall.

To me it's riding that's important, not what you ride. I have bikes that I ride, and I have bikes I stare at after a ride while I change me shoes, stretch, etc.

Just to be clear this not a anti track bike on road speil as I love riding track bikes on the road (just ones suitable for it). I'm just saying there are bikes that for various reasons do not "need" to be ridden. And if you are going to be smug enough to demand that everyone rides every bike, then you should at least live up to the definition of riding.
Old 04-26-10, 05:45 PM
norskagent
car dodger

well my post was fairly general about how I ride the bike. If there were a velodrome anywhere near here, I would be riding the raleigh, and my bianchi, on it all I could. But since all my riding is limited to street riding, I most often ride the rougher of my bikes, the ones with brakes. I've done some ~25 mile rides on the raleigh, but really it's more suited for aggressive riding, which I just don't do.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 04-26-10, 06:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I am with the group that your bikes should be both admired and used. I keep my best bikes right in the living room!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-26-10, 06:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I had a Pinarello that simply would begin to deteriorate in appearance if I began to ride it regularly. They all do.
I had two options: strip it to frame/decals and get it clear-coated, or sell it to a collector who admitted he'd never ride it, just hang it.

I am told it looks great on his wall.
Old 04-26-10, 07:34 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone here is right. And it's your bike so you can choose which answers you prefer. That's the beauty of CV.

For me, I wish I rode more... I spend more time working on bikes than I will ever ride them. If I were younger, I would probably feel differently. As it is, bikes are only ONE of my passions, so hanging one on the wall and appreciating it that way is okay by me. I can see the die-hards reddening up at that, but singular passions breed singular perspectives.

Ride or stare.

To the die-hards: If he never rides it, some future bike lover will get there hands on a vintage gem one day. Think about it... most of our best bikes were delicately ridden and we are all grateful for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.