Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 06-13-22, 12:21 PM
Hydrilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hi all- I'm new to BF and new to the Multitrack thread. I am almost done with the upgrades on my new-to-me red 720, for now at least. I still need to replace the saddle and get different grips since I ditched the grip twist shifters, and the factory grips are really short by themselves. Fun project and really cool and comfortable bike! It's 23" which fits me fine but at 6'0" I couldn't go any taller, that's for sure. I went with semi-budget upgrades for now but may be interested in a 2x10 setup at some point. No spacers in the 7 speed cassette and only like 131mm and change vs. 135mm, so from what I understand there is nothing I can do with that. I would like to get a threadless adapter and new riser and bar setup, but I'm going to ride it as is since it's new to me, and decide later.

List of stuff so far:
Shimano Altus SHIMANO FD-M310
Shimano Altus RDM310 rear derailleur
Shimano RAPIDFIRE Plus Shifting Lever Left Only (3x8/7-speed) SL-M315-L
SHIMANO Altus Right Shift Lever 7-Speed SL-M315-7R
XC 3 chainring crankset, by the company that makes ICF (made specifically for 27 speed)
Hollowtech II style bottom bracket (came with the crankset)
ZONKIE (Amazon special) 6/7/8 speed chain
Tektro Eclipse MT2.1 Levers Brake Levers
MZYRH Mountain Bike Pedals
Blackburn (Walmart brand) 700 x 38c hybrid tires - I bought the rear to match since the previous owner had already put one of these on the front. I actually like these tires pretty well.
UPANBIKE Bike Seat Post Aluminum Alloy Length 350mm to replace the suspension seat post that came with my bike

Last edited by Hydrilla; 06-13-22 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For Hydrilla:
Old 06-13-22, 01:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome! Yes, you won't be able to get any more sprockets on that 7-speed freehub body*, but you could swap to an 8/9/10-speed freehub body in the future if you wanted to. I'm pretty sure the bike should already have 135mm spacing. If it's down to 131mm, it sounds like some spacers may have gone missing at some point in the bike's life. That...or it was originally setup with 130mm spacing and it's just a hair thick now. In either case, the frame is steel and the rear triangles will bend in or out to accomodate different hub widths, within reason. You or your local bike shop could install an 8/9/10-speed freehub body on the wheel and do what might be needed to redish it to re-center it.

* one caveat to the 7-speed body accepts only a 7-speed cassette situation is the old 8-of-9-on-7 trick, where you take a 9-speed cassette, remove one sprocket (usually the largest one) and install the rest of the stack. 9-speed sprockets (and spacers) are thinner than those of 7- and 8-speed systems and 8 of those will fit on a 7-speed freehub body. You'd need to use a 9-speed shifter (or a friction shifter), and you'd have only 8 or the 9 "speeds" out of that shifter (since you have only 8 of the 9 sprockets), but it can be done and sometimes works pretty elegantly. You'd need a 9-speed chain as well. You usually don't have to change the rear derailer.
Old 06-13-22, 01:27 PM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Welcome! Yes, you won't be able to get any more sprockets on that 7-speed freehub body*, but you could swap to an 8/9/10-speed freehub body in the future if you wanted to. I'm pretty sure the bike should already have 135mm spacing. If it's down to 131mm, it sounds like some spacers may have gone missing at some point in the bike's life. That...or it was originally setup with 130mm spacing and it's just a hair thick now. In either case, the frame is steel and the rear triangles will bend in or out to accomodate different hub widths, within reason. You or your local bike shop could install an 8/9/10-speed freehub body on the wheel and do what might be needed to redish it to re-center it.

* one caveat to the 7-speed body accepts only a 7-speed cassette situation is the old 8-of-9-on-7 trick, where you take a 9-speed cassette, remove one sprocket (usually the largest one) and install the rest of the stack. 9-speed sprockets (and spacers) are thinner than those of 7- and 8-speed systems and 8 of those will fit on a 7-speed freehub body. You'd need to use a 9-speed shifter (or a friction shifter), and you'd have only 8 or the 9 "speeds" out of that shifter (since you have only 8 of the 9 sprockets), but it can be done and sometimes works pretty elegantly. You'd need a 9-speed chain as well. You usually don't have to change the rear derailer.
Thanks! My recollection of the cassette measurement might be a little off, but I do know it was close to 131 and there was no room for a spacer. Good info about the 8/9/10 speed freehub body, and about the frame spacing. From what I have read it should be enough, but we'll see. I resisted the urge to just upgrade without even knowing what I want when it comes to gearing- what I like and dislike about the 3x7 setup. I have a good local shop that I trust would do a good job with the wheel when the time comes, re-dishing wasn't even on my radar so thanks for that info too.

I need to study up on that 9 speed cassette trick, sounds cool and I could see the benefit.
Old 06-14-22, 07:27 AM
hokiefyd 

I really like 3x7 and 3x8. I've tried several other combinations, including converting older bikes to newer stuff, but I've gone back to the 3x7/8 consistently. It just works. There's plenty of gearing range, parts are inexpensive, it's not sensitive to precise set up and tuning...it's just easy to use and maintain.
Old 06-14-22, 08:14 AM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I really like 3x7 and 3x8. I've tried several other combinations, including converting older bikes to newer stuff, but I've gone back to the 3x7/8 consistently. It just works. There's plenty of gearing range, parts are inexpensive, it's not sensitive to precise set up and tuning...it's just easy to use and maintain.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it. That's where I'm at right now- with the little bit of riding I have done so far, 3x7 has done just fine for me. I see a lot of newbies automatically "upgrade" their gearing to 1x or whatever, and that's great if people want to do that just because, but I think it makes more sense to figure out what you like and dislike about your stock gearing first.

I do think I will probably trade out the bars sooner than later, I rode some last night and the stock ones do feel pretty narrow. I am familiar with and have installed a threadless adapter so I can switch to modern riser and bars.
Likes For Hydrilla:
Old 06-14-22, 02:57 PM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I just went and checked, and the Mavic 700c rear wheel I bought recently has a 9 speed cassette on it, I was misremembering that it was also a 7 speed. I bought this wheelset used after I had already bought and installed the other stuff for the 3x7 but at least I'll have a head start if I go that route.
Old 06-15-22, 05:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Hydrilla
I just went and checked, and the Mavic 700c rear wheel I bought recently has a 9 speed cassette on it, I was misremembering that it was also a 7 speed. I bought this wheelset used after I had already bought and installed the other stuff for the 3x7 but at least I'll have a head start if I go that route.
That should work in your MultiTrack (given you also change to a 9-speed chain and shifter). Mountain 9-speed spacing is 135mm, but road 9-speed spacing is only 130mm. Either one should fit fine in your MultiTrack. Because it's a steel frame, it'll expand or contract slightly to account for different widths.
Old 06-18-22, 09:25 AM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
What handlebars do you all like for your Multitracks? I am kind of interested in the Surly Sunrise, but several others out there including Amazon cheapies look pretty good.
Old 06-19-22, 05:58 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
I really like the Kalloy Uno AL-030. I have 4 bikes set up with them I like them so much.
Old 06-19-22, 02:38 PM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
I really like the Kalloy Uno AL-030. I have 4 bikes set up with them I like them so much.
I really like the sweep back angle on those! Some come back so far that they are almost like beach bars. Great for some people I'm sure, but not for me. Great price, too!

Last edited by Hydrilla; 06-19-22 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 06:11 PM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
After adding Oury V2 non-locking grips and an AIKATE saddle, my 720 is done for now. This saddle is a cheapie that is well reviewed, I think I will probably replace it with a Brooks at some point.
EDIT: Finally able to post a pic-

Last edited by Hydrilla; 06-19-22 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For Hydrilla:
Old 06-20-22, 06:34 PM
xaztec

Bikes: 1992 Trek 790, 1976/2020 Schwinn Superior, 2000 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Sarthe, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, 2017 Salsa Marrakesh,

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
What handlebars do you all like for your Multitracks? I am kind of interested in the Surly Sunrise, but several others out there including Amazon cheapies look pretty good.
I have Salsa Bend Deluxe bars on my 790 but I’m not fond of them. They’re ok, but I have surly moloko bars on my touring bike and have them wrapped with Brooks microfiber bar tape and I really like them. More hand positions than drop bars.

These multitracks have somewhat short top tubes as the frames are based on the 520 (actually the 750 shared the same frame and fork) so they’re good for converting to drops if that’s your thing.

You can’t go wrong with a Brooks. I have a B67 on my 790. Just switched to a C67 on my Schwinn superior. It’s the cambium version. It’s surprisingly comfortable but not as nice as the sprung leather saddles.
Old 06-21-22, 02:30 PM
SimplySycles1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
After adding Oury V2 non-locking grips and an AIKATE saddle, my 720 is done for now. This saddle is a cheapie that is well reviewed, I think I will probably replace it with a Brooks at some point.
EDIT: Finally able to post a pic-
Hi welcome to Multitrack world, with a few tweeks you can do many things with the bikes. Are you sure that is a 23"? i am 6' 2" and ride a 23" with almost no seatpost showing and it does not feel any too small. I normally ride a 59 road bike and i measure my 23 MT at 58 plus a touch.

Ruben
Old 06-21-22, 02:56 PM
Hydrilla

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SimplySycles1
Hi welcome to Multitrack world, with a few tweeks you can do many things with the bikes. Are you sure that is a 23"? i am 6' 2" and ride a 23" with almost no seatpost showing and it does not feel any too small. I normally ride a 59 road bike and i measure my 23 MT at 58 plus a touch.

Ruben
I see what you mean- your head tube looks longer than mine (really nice looking bike, by the way!!). Part of it is the angle of my picture, I think. The sticker on mine says 23" but I have never measured it before just now. From the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube is exactly 23 inches.
Old 07-01-22, 05:21 AM
tairy

Bikes: Peugeot Ventoux, Trek Multitrack 830 (ebike)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
Found a nice one tonight. 1999 7500. USA build aluminum frame, Deore LX rear, cromoly fork with low-rider mounts.

Beautiful bike! I was looking at getting a green Trek 7500 to convert to an ebike. How do you like it?
Old 07-01-22, 06:39 AM
StumblingCorgi

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I see what you mean- your head tube looks longer than mine (really nice looking bike, by the way!!). Part of it is the angle of my picture, I think. The sticker on mine says 23" but I have never measured it before just now. From the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube is exactly 23 inches.
ugh I’m envious. I went to look at a 92 700 yesterday with the promise it was a 23. But sadly they measured wrong and it was 21. So close yet so far.
Old 07-01-22, 06:43 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by tairy
Beautiful bike! I was looking at getting a green Trek 7500 to convert to an ebike. How do you like it?
I don't have this one anymore, but it was a great bike. I bet it would make a fantastic e-conversion. I put a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive on a classic Panasonic ATB and it is awesome.
Old 07-01-22, 08:08 AM
tairy

I don't have this one anymore, but it was a great bike. I bet it would make a fantastic e-conversion. I put a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive on a classic Panasonic ATB and it is awesome.
I'm actually thinking about picking it up from Ohio today. Maybe it's your old bike. Do you think $175 is a fair price for what seems like a nice condition frame and seemingly nice condition assessing by description and photos?
Old 07-01-22, 08:17 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by tairy
I'm actually thinking about picking it up from Ohio today. Maybe it's your old bike. Do you think $175 is a fair price for what seems like a nice condition frame and seemingly nice condition assessing by description and photos?
Hard for me to evaluate the price. It depends on your needs. They are very well made bikes and you could not buy that level of bike new for anywhere near $175, but knowing the used pricing in this area, I think that is a pretty high price. I'd be more comfortable in the 100-125 range, because if you had to resell it, I think you would have trouble getting $175.
Likes For casanewt:
Old 07-01-22, 02:12 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts

Do you have a thread about this somewhere? I've been halfway thinking about an e bike lately for my 18 mile one way commute but the prices are putting me off....
Old 07-02-22, 07:07 AM
tairy

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Do you have a thread about this somewhere? I've been halfway thinking about an e bike lately for my 18 mile one way commute but the prices are putting me off....
I built mine using endless sphere as a resource. Bafang and Tongsheng motors are pretty comparable mid drive motors which install at the bottom bracket. If you have access to bike tools at home, a bike co-op or tool library this is pretty easy if you have the patience and time to do it yourself. You'll have to buy a battery and motor. Just as a reference I converted my bike to a 36v motor with 10aH battery. I can go about 25 mph on a flat run and the battery will last around 50 miles. I have four levels of assist or can turn it off entirely if I just want to use it as a regular bike.

Here's the forum for the Tongsheng motor: tongsheng - endless-sphere forum
Likes For tairy:
Old 07-06-22, 06:59 PM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Wanting to ditch the grip shifters on my 1993 700 and change to brake lever shifter unit's and was wondering if anyone knows what would work with my 700? My bike is a 3 x 6 and I would like to keep the cantilever brake's if compatibility can be achieved. Switching to V brakes, if need be, would not be a problem, I am just unsure what will work with my bike and shopping online can be a bit overwhelming. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-22, 10:42 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by goodwrench84
Wanting to ditch the grip shifters on my 1993 700 and change to brake lever shifter unit's and was wondering if anyone knows what would work with my 700? My bike is a 3 x 6 and I would like to keep the cantilever brake's if compatibility can be achieved. Switching to V brakes, if need be, would not be a problem, I am just unsure what will work with my bike and shopping online can be a bit overwhelming. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
As long as the shifter and brake lever are not attached to each other, and I don't think they are, you can just keep your brake levers and canti brakes. All you wound need is thumb shifters like this. 3x6 Thumb Shifters
Old 07-08-22, 04:08 PM
tairy

Here's my Multitrack 730 ebike! But I also have a question about it. The rear wheel is not centered. I tried to get it as centered as possible and even went to my LBS to look at it. There's much more space on the right side than the left as you can see below. As you can see I can get my finger between the fork and the tire on the right side but not on the left side. I also get this sort of lurching back and forth when I'm riding which is much more apparent when I brake with the rear brakes. This may have something to do with the centering or possibly the rims have a concave groove which to me means they are probably too worn.

So I'm just seeing if other people with a Multitrack 730 have rear tires perfectly centered I'd appreciate anyone to chime in!

Here's what the bike looks like on a grocery run.
Likes For tairy:
Old 07-08-22, 11:43 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Because I can. . . .
DSCN2162 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
Likes For mort1369:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.