Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava local legends

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava local legends

Old 07-21-22, 06:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Id be wary about assuming a KOM is fake or a glitch, draft the right vehicle and you can go uphill at 40 mph.
Or be riding away from a storm.

But no, I'm talking about things like people running ("running") at 30mph, or knocking out a couple of 4-minute miles during a 20-mile "run". Sometimes with cadence and HR data that is clearly a bike.
Old 07-21-22, 07:00 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
I don't need Strava to tell me I'm a local legend. I already am. Doesn't matter if no one else thinks so, or even knows who I am. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to drag race me on the 680 overpass segment. I don't have the Strava KOM for it because those in the top 10 are likely recorded from people who forgot to stop recording in a car. Already spent way too much time flagging such users without making an appreciable dent to the list, so now I'm at peace with it.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-21-22, 08:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There are age group categories, you know. Visible if you have a paid account. Nice for us age-enhanced cyclists, so we're not competing with the 20-somethings.

No trophies, though. You just get to sit atop the age group leader board.

Chances at a top spot are better on the short segments:

We-e-ellll....
I just looked at one segment "Whiskey to Willowbrook". Best time is 8:01. Best time for age group 55-64 is 8:16. My best time on that segment is 12:02. So there are some FAST old guys out there, and I'm not one of them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-21-22, 08:01 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
There is a running segment in my area that is named "Stinky Sewer" that is on a MUP near the sewage treatment plant. One of these days I'm going to run the hell out of it to become the Stinky Sewer Local Legend.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-21-22, 08:06 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So there are some FAST old guys out there, and I'm not one of them.
I mentor with a running group for teens in my town. On a 5k a couple of years ago, my girl got her first age group medal. Typically when my youth medals, I do too. But there were some freakishly fast old guys in my age group and I think I was 6th out of 6 for that race. I was happy for my young lady though.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-21-22, 10:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
We-e-ellll....
I just looked at one segment "Whiskey to Willowbrook". Best time is 8:01. Best time for age group 55-64 is 8:16. My best time on that segment is 12:02. So there are some FAST old guys out there, and I'm not one of them.
the fastest times were probably done in a group ride
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-22-22, 04:05 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I have local legends turned off but I get that it is a form of encouragement to ride more - for many who ride purely for health and fitness as opposed to enjoyment etc, it is a little extra motivation.

I do go for KOM's though and we have some good rivalries where I am that includes some local Pro's - and World Tour Pro's when they do the annual Volta here; always nice to take one from them, even if they weren't specifically going for that segment. It'll be all downhill for me soon though, I only joined Strava 3 years ago and I'm in my 50's so while topping my age leaderboard is one thing, getting the overall KOM from much younger cyclists is getting harder!

Old 07-22-22, 04:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Local legend status could be valuable with the right amount of hype. Lamar Mundane was a local playground legend. He got a shoe commercial out of it. Ka ching!
Old 07-22-22, 06:18 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
Oh look, I'm the Local Legend on another segment! "You just became the Local Legend of..." Strava says "2 efforts in the last 90 days". Thanks, strava!

That goes with "3rd fastest time on segment..." But, it's 30% slower than my 2nd best time, I was cruising this time, and I've only been on it three times. It's like a kindergarten gold star.
Old 07-22-22, 11:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
the fastest times were probably done in a group ride
Maybe. OTOH, the point remains that my best time on that segment is almost half again as long as the best time in my age group, which isn't really surprising. For ALL riders, my time puts me in the 86th percentile, whereas in my age group it puts me in the 92nd percentile. A bit of an improvement, but like I said, there's some fast old guys out there!!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-22-22, 01:06 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There are age group categories, you know. Visible if you have a paid account. Nice for us age-enhanced cyclists, so we're not competing with the 20-somethings.

No trophies, though. You just get to sit atop the age group leader board.

Chances at a top spot are better on the short segments:

I wish Strava would recognise the age groups like the UCI does and also award trophies and KOM's by age, not only overall and then age leaderboards.

KOM's by age would be a good incentive. It is hard for us over 50's to compete against younger guys and it is hard for juniors to compete with older guys - especially if running restricted gearing.

I have well over 300 KOM's (more than my signature shows, I have private ones that I don't want to take from friends) so have my fair share of them overall but would happily see them converted to my age group only rather than overall. Then when we move up an age group, we have to get them again for our new category if someone takes the existing one.

Old 07-22-22, 01:34 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I never found an app to fulfill my needs. A lonely place to be, so I learned to depend on me. I decided long ago never to ride in anyone’s shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I’ll ride as I believe.

They can't take away your dignity.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 07-22-22, 01:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Or be riding away from a storm.

But no, I'm talking about things like people running ("running") at 30mph, or knocking out a couple of 4-minute miles during a 20-mile "run". Sometimes with cadence and HR data that is clearly a bike.
Cue Mr Mojo Risin'

Old 07-22-22, 07:51 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
i keep all my rides private on strava, mostly so people i work with don’t know exactly which slack messages i responded to slowly because i was on a bike ride 😂 or which lame meetings i declined because i was riding.

the unfortunate side effect is that i can’t get any local legends! i probably would grab a few. i definitely WOULD NOT be in contention for any KOMs lol
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-22-22, 09:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property!
In that case, can I interest you in going 50/50 with me in an investment property in SoCal?

12288 Circula Panorama Pl, North Tustin, CA 92705 | MLS# PW22066730 | Redfin

12288 Circula Panorama Pl - Google Maps

We can take turn setting KOMs on gravel bikes going downhill across the neighboring lots and shooting onto E. Montgomery Pl.
Old 07-22-22, 10:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Maybe. OTOH, the point remains that my best time on that segment is almost half again as long as the best time in my age group, which isn't really surprising. For ALL riders, my time puts me in the 86th percentile, whereas in my age group it puts me in the 92nd percentile. A bit of an improvement, but like I said, there's some fast old guys out there!!!
Just checked that segment, I know 3 of the top 5 guys from the group rides. Older (50s and even 60s) people still occasionally KOM on those rides if they ride smart and help organize the younger stronger guys who might not be pace lining efficiently. On your own you stand no chance at beating those guys. Heck even the women have untouchable QOMS on most segments because of group rides. Its almost unfair
Old 07-22-22, 10:16 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Living in a big city with cycling addicts (I sometimes wonder if they even work) and actual pros, there's no way I'm going to KOM any of the major routes here. The closest I've been to one major sprint climb is like 20 seconds from the KOM and that's with like 100 efforts! I also routinely drop my friends and I'm usually pretty fast on the group rides, but there are some people who are on another level of speed.
Old 07-23-22, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i keep all my rides private on strava, mostly so people i work with don’t know exactly which slack messages i responded to slowly because i was on a bike ride 😂 or which lame meetings i declined because i was riding.

the unfortunate side effect is that i can’t get any local legends! i probably would grab a few. i definitely WOULD NOT be in contention for any KOMs lol
Wait - are they following you on Strava? If not, you can make your rides visible to only followers. If they are following you, and that makes you want to make *everything* private, why even let them follow you? Boot 'em.
Old 07-23-22, 08:07 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
I took a KOM from Peter Stetina last year. Afterwards, I sent him a letter mocking him. He sent me half a bottle of cheap vodka with a note that I can’t print here.
Old 07-23-22, 08:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I took a KOM from Peter Stetina last year. Afterwards, I sent him a letter mocking him. He sent me half a bottle of cheap vodka with a note that I can’t print here.
Really? Too bad the self importance thread is closed. That story belongs there.
Old 07-23-22, 08:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Really? Too bad the self importance thread is closed. That story belongs there.
I think it should be repeated in every thread.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-23-22, 09:59 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wait - are they following you on Strava? If not, you can make your rides visible to only followers. If they are following you, and that makes you want to make *everything* private, why even let them follow you? Boot 'em.
they’re not, i refuse all the requests. my rides are only visible to followers - which means they don’t show up for local legend or KOMs. “This activity will not appear on segment or challenge leaderboards, …”
Old 07-23-22, 10:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I took a KOM from Peter Stetina last year.
I destroyed Ned Overend's time on a short local hill.

The only possible explanation was that Ned was towing a skateboarder.

Old 07-23-22, 11:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
they’re not, i refuse all the requests. my rides are only visible to followers - which means they don’t show up for local legend or KOMs. “This activity will not appear on segment or challenge leaderboards, …”
Ah. Looking through the setting a little more, what I had in mind was:
  • "Followers" for your Profile Page
  • "Everyone" for your Activities
  • "No One" for FlyBys
This is what I've done in the past; all of my efforts count towards leader boards, but no one can really peruse through my efforts other than finding my placement on a segment leaderboard and seeing that lone PR effort. I thought that this would work for LL, too, but it seems as if being a LL for a segment makes all of your efforts (or maybe it's just all of your efforts that count towards that segment LL? ) visible when someone backtracks to your profile via the LL board. This seems pretty dumb.

Still, for a non-follower to peep your activities, they'd have some hoops to jump through: a) you have to be an LL b) they have to know about the loophole c) they have to poke around to find the segment(s) where you're the LL. Do you think that any of your coworkers care that much and have the wherewithal to do that?
Old 07-23-22, 11:33 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah. Looking through the setting a little more, what I had in mind was:
  • "Followers" for your Profile Page
  • "Everyone" for your Activities
  • "No One" for FlyBys
This is what I've done in the past; all of my efforts count towards leader boards, but no one can really peruse through my efforts other than finding my placement on a segment leaderboard and seeing that lone PR effort. I thought that this would work for LL, too, but it seems as if being a LL for a segment makes all of your efforts (or maybe it's just all of your efforts that count towards that segment LL? ) visible when someone backtracks to your profile via the LL board. This seems pretty dumb.

Still, for a non-follower to peep your activities, they'd have some hoops to jump through: a) you have to be an LL b) they have to know about the loophole c) they have to poke around to find the segment(s) where you're the LL. Do you think that any of your coworkers care that much and have the wherewithal to do that?
hmmmmm. can’t anyone view an activity if it’s not set to “followers only?” like literally any strava member, as long as they can get to the link somehow? i just changed this activity to “everyone” - i assume you can now see it. from there, what else can you see? i made two other recent activities visible to everyone.

https://strava.app.link/V66Dkzz1T

Last edited by mschwett; 07-23-22 at 11:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.