Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD - Canyon Endurace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD - Canyon Endurace

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 07:10 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
NBD - Canyon Endurace

Canyon Endurace CF SL 8 Di2 (what a mouthful) in Stealth Grey, size Medium

Only about 10 miles on it so I can't really speak to many of the features and ride quality other than it fits great and so far I'm very happy. Because of "supply chain" issues the Continental 5000 tires ended up be substituted with Goodyear F1 Tubeless (30mm) and at 80psi they feel like I'm riding in sand. I will be replacing them with some 25mm clinchers asap. One nice surprise was they threw in a 4iii NDS power meter. I like that it also acts as a Cadence Sensor so that I don't have to attach my Garmin sensor to the crank arm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this new technology. This is my first time with Di2 and Hydraulic brakes. Having 12 speeds is also pretty weird. There's just a lot to absorb.

The whole buying experience was great. I live near one of their warehouses and had it in 2 days. A few questions popped up during the assembly process but Canyon's online chat cleared those up right away.

Old 07-24-22, 08:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Because of "supply chain" issues the Continental 5000 tires ended up be substituted with Goodyear F1 Tubeless (30mm) and at 80psi they feel like I'm riding in sand. I will be replacing them with some 25mm clinchers asap.
Question: Did you set the tires up as tubeless or do you still have inner tubes? Riding road tubeless tires with inner tubes isn't the most efficient setup which could account for your "riding in sand" impression. When I received my Grizl in February the wheels were already taped and the tires were tubeless ready but supplied with inner tubes installed. I already had a couple of tubeless valves which I installed and made the conversion, took me about 20 minutes altogether.
I would say that you should first set these tires up the way they are supposed to be set up if you haven't done it already. I ride 700 x 28 tubeless on another bike and they are an improvement over the 700 x 25's I was using before(same make and model tire)

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-24-22 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-24-22, 10:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Kudos
Old 07-24-22, 01:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Those Goodyears got panned when they were released because of their relatively high rolling resistance... that said, that was compared to other top end tires, so they shouldn't be horrible in the grand scheme of things. I'd check whether or not tubes are in there and I'd also lower the pressure pretty significantly, unless you're a big dude.
Old 07-24-22, 02:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
One nice surprise was they threw in a 4iii NDS power meter. I like that it also acts as a Cadence Sensor so that I don't have to attach my Garmin sensor to the crank arm
That is a nice surprise. It's stock on the SL8 "aero" model, maybe someone in the US assembly factory didn't notice they pulled the wrong sku ?
Old 07-24-22, 02:26 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
That is a nice surprise. It's stock on the SL8 "aero" model, maybe someone in the US assembly factory didn't notice they pulled the wrong sku ?
I was reading a thread in another forum and someone mentioned the same thing happening to them. Not the exact power meter but it was substantial. Others talked about Canyon throwing free t-shirts and other swag into the bike boxes before they shipped.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-24-22, 02:33 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Question: Did you set the tires up as tubeless or do you still have inner tubes? Riding road tubeless tires with inner tubes isn't the most efficient setup which could account for your "riding in sand" impression. When I received my Grizl in February the wheels were already taped and the tires were tubeless ready but supplied with inner tubes installed. I already had a couple of tubeless valves which I installed and made the conversion, took me about 20 minutes altogether.
I would say that you should first set these tires up the way they are supposed to be set up if you haven't done it already. I ride 700 x 28 tubeless on another bike and they are an improvement over the 700 x 25's I was using before(same make and model tire)
I will be removing the front wheel later today to deal with a squealing brake issue and will do a complete inspection. I'm leaning towards them having tubes installed since the valve stems do not seem to have any special locking rings that might also assist in leak prevention. The tires are only rated to 80psi and I've been running them around 75-78psi. On my previous bike I was riding 23mm clinchers bumped up to 90-100 depending on the day.. I weigh approximately 195.
Old 07-24-22, 04:53 PM
alcjphil

I will be removing the front wheel later today to deal with a squealing brake issue and will do a complete inspection. I'm leaning towards them having tubes installed since the valve stems do not seem to have any special locking rings that might also assist in leak prevention. The tires are only rated to 80psi and I've been running them around 75-78psi. On my previous bike I was riding 23mm clinchers bumped up to 90-100 depending on the day.. I weigh approximately 195.
I would bet that you already have inner tubes installed. "Locking rings" do not prevent leaks for tubeless tires. Leaks happen where the valve base connects with the rim floor. You can use any "locking ring " as long as it is tightened. The seal does not happen at the outside of the rim, it happens at the inside of the rim. The reason for special "locking rings" is that they have o rings that prevent them from loosening up from road vibrations
"

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-24-22 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 05:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Kudos on the Eundurace! I got one two years ago, the CF SL 7, with 105. It's fast, comfy, handles well - everything you want in a bike, really.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-24-22, 05:49 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 727 Posts

Congrats! I love mine.
The power meter is a really nice add-on.
I'm betting they ran out of regular cranksets along with the GP5000s.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 07-24-22 at 06:35 PM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-25-22, 04:06 PM
TakingMyTime

I would bet that you already have inner tubes installed.
You are correct. I'm just not sure if tube-less is for me. I'll probably be installing some 25 or 28mm clinchers on it shortly.
Old 07-25-22, 09:19 PM
alcjphil

You are correct. I'm just not sure if tube-less is for me. I'll probably be installing some 25 or 28mm clinchers on it shortly.
Tubeless is simply part of the learning curve on newer bikes and is easily reversed. I have been riding tubeless on the road for the last 12 years and it is just as easy to deal with as inner tubes.
Old 07-26-22, 04:38 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
I have been riding tubeless on the road for the last 12 years and it is just as easy to deal with as inner tubes.
Agree to disagree.

Old 07-26-22, 04:50 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Agree to disagree.
I know, right? Tubeless is way easier.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-26-22, 04:53 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
But if you don't try your current tires full tubeless, then your impression of the ride quality of "like riding in sand" is going to be skewed. I have very inexpensive DT Swiss R460 rims set up tubeless on my 2x10 titanium road bike and the full tubeless implementation that I am running is much different than if there were tubes in there. Cornering, shock absorbtion, road feel are all excellent. You owe it to yourself to try it out. If you need assist to set them up tubelesss the first time, your local bike shop can help you. Once set up full tubeless, you may also safely lower the pressure to see what that does for you. Since you say the Pirelli's are 30mm, I would say that the pressures you are currently running them at would most certainly be quite a bit lower when set up full tubeless. Advantages to tubeless road tires extends beyond just flat prevention.
Old 07-26-22, 05:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know, right? Tubeless is way easier.
<eye roll>

Old 07-26-22, 05:37 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by masi61
But if you don't try your current tires full tubeless, then your impression of the ride quality of "like riding in sand" is going to be skewed. .
That is valid and point well taken. Logically I don't see any reason not to pull the tubes, put in new valves and some sealant. The investment would be minimal.
Old 07-26-22, 05:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Congrats on the new bike. I don't know how or why this thread though became a tubeless crusade. Just ride and figure it out. Goodyear tires... get anything else and you'll probably be golden.
Old 07-27-22, 08:31 AM
alcjphil

That is valid and point well taken. Logically I don't see any reason not to pull the tubes, put in new valves and some sealant. The investment would be minimal.
Not sure about the tires you have, but many road tubeless tires will hold air without sealant. At least mine do and the tires on my gravel bike also hold air without sealant. When I converted my Grizl to tubeless, I simply deflated the tires, and then removed the inner tube, installed the valves and pumped them back up. I left the bike overnight and the tires were still fully inflated the next day. I did inject sealant through the valves because I was going to ride on unpaved roads and trails, but sealant wasn't needed so that the tires hold air. Canyon has a video on their website showing how to convert. If you just want to try your tires tubeless to see the difference all you might need is a couple of valves
Old 07-27-22, 02:30 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts

Only about 10 miles on it so I can't really speak to many of the features and ride quality other than it fits great and so far I'm very happy. Because of "supply chain" issues the Continental 5000 tires ended up be substituted with Goodyear F1 Tubeless (30mm) and at 80psi they feel like I'm riding in sand. I will be replacing them with some 25mm clinchers asap. One nice surprise was they threw in a 4iii NDS power meter. I like that it also acts as a Cadence Sensor so that I don't have to attach my Garmin sensor to the crank arm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this new technology. This is my first time with Di2 and Hydraulic brakes. Having 12 speeds is also pretty weird. There's just a lot to absorb.

The whole buying experience was great. I live near one of their warehouses and had it in 2 days. A few questions popped up during the assembly process but Canyon's online chat cleared those up right away.

Congrats and awesome bike. It wouldn't surprise me if the rotor was slightly bent and that's why you are getting the squeal
Old 08-04-22, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I was reading a thread in another forum and someone mentioned the same thing happening to them. Not the exact power meter but it was substantial. Others talked about Canyon throwing free t-shirts and other swag into the bike boxes before they shipped.
Took another look today at Canyon's site.. is this a new color they're now offering in your bike model? Called "Frozen Yellow", I don't remember seeing this before.
SL8 Di2 FROZEN YELLOW

Old 08-04-22, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Took another look today at Canyon's site.. is this a new color they're now offering in your bike model? Called "Frozen Yellow", I don't remember seeing this before.
SL8 Di2 FROZEN YELLOW

Frozen Yellow? Oof - bad name. That immediately brings to mind "don't eat the yellow snow."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-04-22, 06:58 AM
TakingMyTime

I believe it's been out for some time. I did see one in this color in their showroom and the color looks much better in person than in pictures.
Old 08-04-22, 10:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Frozen Yellow? Oof - bad name. That immediately brings to mind "don't eat the yellow snow."
Maybe it sounds better in native German.. Google translate tells me it might be called Gelb Gefroren
Old 08-04-22, 11:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
You gotta admit, though, it sounds better than the actual color, which is beige.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.