Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle or fit problem?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddle or fit problem?

Old 05-30-18, 01:08 PM
Archerobx

Bikes: Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:
well the good news is not numbness with the Brooks saddle. But man it feels like it is pocking me between the legs. I went to bike shop and they didn't know how to use assmeter. I told the guy the measurements I got and they didn't have anything in my size. Plus they had these fat padded gel seats that I think they wanted me to buy. Im off to another store
Old 05-30-18, 01:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7339 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
Soreness after using a hard saddle is normal. It goes away after a few rides.

I've been riding a C17 for a couple of months now, after a lifetime of loving the B17. I love my new C17.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-30-18, 02:05 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archerobx
UPDATE:
well the good news is not numbness with the Brooks saddle. But man it feels like it is pocking me between the legs. I went to bike shop and they didn't know how to use assmeter. I told the guy the measurements I got and they didn't have anything in my size. Plus they had these fat padded gel seats that I think they wanted me to buy. Im off to another store
Maybe something like a Brooks Swallow would work, 153 mm width, but cutaway on the sides. $$, though.
Old 05-30-18, 03:21 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I always thought bike saddles had to be uncomfortable....until I found one that wasn't (for me). DO NOT settle for something that is uncomfortable! Everyone raves about Brooks but after a year of trying, I was just marginally okay on one. I tried a number of other saddles and they weren't great. Hit the saddle jackpot with a Fizik saddle. It supports my butt bones perfectly (not too wide, not to narrow) and has the perfect cutout for me (mine is a ladies model, being a female). My point is you gotta kiss a lot of frogs, lol. Keep going until you find something that you can ride for hours without even thinking about your butt/parts. It IS possible! Don't give up. You will ride longer and more often if you're comfortable.
Old 07-01-18, 08:00 AM
Hello07

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a saddle issue. I faced the same problem in the past, changing the saddle worked for me.
Old 07-14-18, 06:20 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
My butt feels better when I sit on the back of the saddle, widest part. Problem is after an hour, my unmentionables get numb. I Lowered front of saddle thinking more room but then I feel like I'm sliding forward and putting a lot pressure on hands. I then adjust saddle so I wasn't sitting as far back, this is not comfortable but seems take longer to get numb.

So my question is, is this a saddle issue or am I sitting wrong on seat or is the seat height/postion wrong?

thank you
A lot of saddles have an area at the back which is intended to support the sit bones and keep your weight supported at your bones rather than at your soft tissues. For me one of the challenges in self-fitting is to set the saddle for-aft so that in my natural position I'm sitting on the right part of teh saddle. When I get it wrong I slide forward frequently and get numbness. For Brooksies, people recommend to raise the nose. If your bones are on teh wide part, this tends to keep you on the bones by preventing gravity from making you slide forward and "down the slope." One sign of this problem is constantly using the handlebars to push your body backwards.

Having a cutout is related to all of this. I like the cutouts in Specialized and Selle Anatomica saddles but could not warm up to the Brooks Imperial series.

Some saddles come in different widths, measured at the widest part. Right now my best saddle is a 155 mm Specialized Toupe Expert Gel, and a close second is a relatively recent Selle AnAtomica Titanico X in black. My best saddle ever was another SA, but that one has been overpowered by my weight - stretched out after 11 years. It took a long time to dial it in, and this more recent one has also been a project. Problem with these projects is that failed adjustments result in pain.
Old 07-14-18, 06:37 AM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying an ISM saddle. I bought it 5 days before my ride which was dumb.
It was not the most comfortable but after ridding from Pittsburgh to DC I'm not sure any saddle would be.

Thank y'all for the advice and suggestions
Old 07-14-18, 12:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
I ended up buying an ISM saddle. I bought it 5 days before my ride which was dumb.
It was not the most comfortable but after ridding from Pittsburgh to DC I'm not sure any saddle would be.

Thank y'all for the advice and suggestions
My seat was comfortable on that ride, so it is possible. B-17
Old 08-06-18, 03:42 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
My seat was comfortable on that ride, so it is possible. B-17
you were on the 335 for Vets ride?
Old 08-06-18, 03:50 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
you were on the 335 for Vets ride?
By, "that ride," I meant Pittsburgh to DC. I did it alone, and my saddle was comfortable, even on the first day which was 70 miles. The saddle wasn;t broken in yet when I did the ride either.

I still say the majority of people I have seen with Brooks B17s, who have perineum pain, generally have the seat positioned poorly, usually slightly too high, but not always of course. The only times I have had issues with mine, is when I get the seat too high, it only takes a small drop to make it comfortable again, only about 3-5mm. If you get all the adjustments correct, front to back, and height, you don't to tilt the seat unnaturally. The nose of mine is basically level, making the rear look high. I don't slide forward, and the seat give zero pain.
Old 08-06-18, 03:56 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did notice the seat angle would drop during ride and thats when discomfort would start. I didn't realize it had dropped and got chaffed, thats what my pain was from.