Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycling GPS for motorcycle riding?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 01:27 PM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a GPS for my cycling adventures (MTB + gravel + road) that would be compatible for motorcycle riding. Is there such a thing? My knowledge concerning cycling computers is very limited so I'll need your help on this one
Old 12-12-21, 03:37 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I would think it'd work alright to use something like an Edge 830 but the screen would be a bit small unless you're riding the motorcycle slowly/on non-technical stuff. I used a fairly big screen phone with locus map pro for trail riding with the moto and even that screen was a bit small for my eyes in those conditions...
Old 12-12-21, 03:47 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Any Garmin GPS should work fine on a motorcycle, but it would be very risky and unsafe to attempt to use it while riding. With that in mind, it would be super-useful and interesting to track the trip metrics.
Old 12-12-21, 04:13 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by Marylander
I would think it'd work alright to use something like an Edge 830 but the screen would be a bit small unless you're riding the motorcycle slowly/on non-technical stuff. I used a fairly big screen phone with locus map pro for trail riding with the moto and even that screen was a bit small for my eyes in those conditions...
Hi, yep screen size is the downside. I don't intend to look at the GPS frequently but I know there's a risk to develop a bad habit in real life situations and be tempted to do so. I was thinking about the Edge 830 precisely.

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Any Garmin GPS should work fine on a motorcycle, but it would be very risky and unsafe to attempt to use it while riding. With that in mind, it would be super-useful and interesting to track the trip metrics.
For the same reason as Marylander mentioned? It's just the size of the screen which could cause a problem? There's no technical limit to it? What minimum size would you recommend for a motorcycle?

I just remembered I have an old Garmin 2597LM which I have left from a car... I need to check if it's still useable. It has a 5" screen, here are the specs:
‣View routes on the 5-inch touchscreen
‣Street-level here mapping for Europe
‣Enjoy FREE lifetime map updates
‣Enjoy FREE lifetime traffic updates (only the 2597LMT)
‣Voice activated navigation
‣Manual dual-orientation screen - portrait or landscape
‣Displays speed limit, current speed and time of arrival
‣Avoid traffic tie-ups with 3D traffic, subscription-free live traffic updates from the our extensive traffic avoidance system (nuvi 2597LMT only)
‣Turn-by-turn guidance with voice prompts
‣Speaks street names e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500ft."
‣8-digit postcode - navigate using full UK postcode search
‣Active Lane Guidance guides to proper lane for navigation
‣PhotoReal Junction view displays junction signs
‣Auto re-route fast off-route and detour recalculation
‣Choice of route setup - faster time, shorter distance, off road
‣Auto sort multiple destinations - provides most direct route
‣Speed limit indicator - displays speed limit for most major roads
‣Route avoidance - avoid highways, tolls etc
‣Bluetooth enabled for hands-free calls.
‣World travel clock, currency and unit converter, calculator
‣Optional Cyclops speed camera locations via subscription
‣Rechargeable Li-ion battery - up to 1 hours
‣Built-in Cyclops speed camera database - includes fixed camera locations and mobile hot-spots
‣1 Year manufacturers guarantee

Last edited by Pulse_; 12-12-21 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For Pulse_:
Old 12-12-21, 04:24 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulse_
...For the same reason as Marylander mentioned? It's just the size of the screen which could cause a problem? There's no technical limit to it? What minimum size would you recommend for a motorcycle?
Yeah, the screen size, and simply that on a motorcycle you cover so much ground in such a short time, and any GPS (or any navigation aid, really) is taking your eyes off the road, more so than in a car where it can be placed pretty much in your line of vision. There shouldn't be any technical limit as far as I'm aware.

If you can position it in a place where it's easily seen and angled well, and you can take a quick glace and get info in the same way you would on the motorcycle "dashboard" (like fuel consumption, etc), you may be able to safely use it while riding.
Old 12-12-21, 04:51 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
There are commercial options for mounting a full size gps in view on motorcycles with the space for it, e.g., google givi gps mount. Lots of the moto accessory makers have something, it's just a matter of whether there's something that would fit your bike.
Old 12-12-21, 05:06 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Yeah, the screen size, and simply that on a motorcycle you cover so much ground in such a short time, and any GPS (or any navigation aid, really) is taking your eyes off the road, more so than in a car where it can be placed pretty much in your line of vision. There shouldn't be any technical limit as far as I'm aware.

If you can position it in a place where it's easily seen and angled well, and you can take a quick glace and get info in the same way you would on the motorcycle "dashboard" (like fuel consumption, etc), you may be able to safely use it while riding.
Safety is key so I'll try to adapt the car GPS on the motorcycle then. I have a YZFR 125 and there isn't a lot of space around the dashboard but I should figure something out by looking further on the web . I still need a cycling GPS. Based on my findings the 830 is a good model to start with

Originally Posted by Marylander
There are commercial options for mounting a full size gps in view on motorcycles with the space for it, e.g., google givi gps mount. Lots of the moto accessory makers have something, it's just a matter of whether there's something that would fit your bike.
Thanks for the reference, I'll look it out . My motorcycle is a "sportbike" to make things worse .. I know that Quadlock makes a fork stem mount for the bike but I need to check out if I can find an adapter for Garmin GPS units: If I don't find anything I'll make it myself with a 3D printer

Some guys get pretty creative when integrating GPS units on their motorcycle. This solution is pretty funny apart from the fact you loose a mirror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxI4NAE3HU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ2PZ4uwpM

Last edited by Pulse_; 12-12-21 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For Pulse_:
Old 12-12-21, 05:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
For the price of an Edge 830 also look at the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Same $400, bigger and better screen. If you have an older device, they *might* trade it and give a substantial discount on a new K2. Better screen than an 830, especially if you've created a route to navigate. Having used multiple Garmins (and still use a 1030) as well as K2, the Karoo map screen is superior.

In general, the units are agnostic to what transportation device they are used on, equally happy in a car or a kayak. The recorded track would obviously show avg. speed of 55 instead of 15, but who cares ?.

Battery life is better on a Garmin, but you can USB a battery stick (or cigarette outlet) and run a device that way.

One thought though is get a cheap Android with a big screen and waterproof case. Buy it used if possible. Run it off USB power, don't do a cell plan, run Gaia GPS mapping software. Get a QuadLock mount. Gaia has great maps you can download to the device, allows routing like a cycling unit and is a very popular software of the overlanding community,

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-12-21 at 05:38 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-12-21, 07:36 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If you want a GPS for car, bicycle, hiking and motorcycle take a look at the Garmin Montana series. I have a 610 I used for years. The newer 7XX may be better but I have not looked. But and here is the but. Really only good for navigation and tracking. As for the reverse the Garmin Edge GPSs like the 1030 will work but the screen is really too small. It depends on what you need. For now I use my 610 in the car and on the motorcycle. The 1030 is for mountain and road biking.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 12-12-21, 09:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The real question is what do you want the gps to do for you? Do you want a digital speedo, turn by turn, or stuff we probably wouldn't understand? The bike specific ones do things like record your heart rate and the torque you're putting into the pedals if you want to cough up some $$. It'll do stuff that's useful to a motorcyclist too like some of them have good maps.

I know people who use a Garmin cycling GPS for skiing, they just don't make use of some of the functions like cadence. But every one of them does it because they're also cyclists and already had the bike GPS, so it didn't cost anything to put it to a second use.
Old 12-12-21, 09:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
If you want a GPS for car, bicycle, hiking and motorcycle take a look at the Garmin Montana series. I have a 610 I used for years. The newer 7XX may be better but I have not looked. But and here is the but. Really only good for navigation and tracking. As for the reverse the Garmin Edge GPSs like the 1030 will work but the screen is really too small. It depends on what you need. For now I use my 610 in the car and on the motorcycle. The 1030 is for mountain and road biking.
I love my Fenix watch. Hiking, cycling, swimming, and xc skiing.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: