Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2x9 upgrade to 1x11 on old Stumpjumper?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2x9 upgrade to 1x11 on old Stumpjumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 12:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Take a moment and consider a couple things

1. 1x and boost create a lot of advantages, but not all of them apply to retrofit. One of the reasons is that it simplifies suspension optimization for anti-squat (against pedal bob) by tying down the front end of the upper chain run. For triples (looks like a 2004 SJ FSR was) they were optimized around the 32 ring. But if you use a 32 front then 32-11 is a pretty low top gear for a 26er. SRAM X1 11 speed used a very cool special cassette and a special hub to get a 10-42 range that's barely appropriate with a 32 front. If you are installing 11-46, or 11-52 12 speed, you do get the range but it's all heavier especially on an old style freehub. For a 26er you will want a 36 ring that might not play so nice for anti squat.

2. Kapusta is referring to the portion of the dropper post that goes within the seat tube. Depending on your frame size you might just not have very much total length. Droppers are also always zero offset so you get to worry about fit at the seat end too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-18-22, 01:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Nah. The road stuff feels better than the mountain stuff. …brifters, that is. The bar ends have too much play and ghost shift. I think they’re their worst product. I’d actually say their brifter groups and bar top shifters(like old school mtb shifters, not trigger shifters) are decent.
You have clearly never used Advent or Advent X. But that does not seem to stop you from voicing a strong opinion about them.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-18-22 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-18-22, 11:36 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You have clearly never used Advent or Advent X. But that does not seem to stop you from voicing a strong opinion about them.
Yes, the quote that you used makes it quite clear that I'm not very familiar with their offerings.

It's OK that you like micro**** and I don't. We don't have to like the same things.
Old 01-18-22, 11:43 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Take a moment and consider a couple things2. Kapusta is referring to the portion of the dropper post that goes within the seat tube. Depending on your frame size you might just not have very much total length. Droppers are also always zero offset so you get to worry about fit at the seat end too.
I can't use ~half(maybe more?) of them due to length, but there are still numerous options. It's a large size frame, so maybe not as much of a problem as it would be with a small or medium.
Old 01-20-22, 12:37 AM
3speed

Alright. Here痴 the before. Realized maybe I値l weigh it too, just for fun to see if that changes at all. No idea if it値l go up or down. Maybe up since I知 adding a dropper and beefier tires, but also ditching the triple(though bigger cassette) and shorter stem, so maybe it値l stay close to the same? I値l probably start tearing it down this weekend.

Last edited by 3speed; 01-20-22 at 12:40 AM.
Likes For 3speed:
Old 01-20-22, 10:36 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Schweet ! Nice touch with the radiator background ! and old school hardwood floors ! That stuff was Built to Last !!! And still looks/works so nice.
BTW : Those CST Caballeros were the """Schizz """" back in '06 ! I think I still have 2 NOS hanging in my tire stock... Iff'n you're in need... LOL!
yeah noticed that kink in the seattube the other night, when I looked at the '04 stumpy FS online. But it might work with a 100mm dropper - if you have the 'leg' for the seatpost height...
my Epic does have a straight seattube, so I was able to fit a 125 dropper...
same drivetrain as my Epic...
looks like the same fork, and should be able to take a 27.5... makes a huge diff. !!! will be a fun ride when you're done!
Ride On
Yuri