Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Sanctuary 7

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Schwinn Sanctuary 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 07:12 PM
DesmoDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Yeah... this bike is done. I've already put too much money into it and it works just fine. I've moved on to other projects and all that's left with this one is riding it!
Old 12-09-22, 08:09 AM
Cabo9302

Bikes: Schwinn Sanctuary 7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello all. Newbie here with a question about the Schwinn Sanctuary 7. Are the pedal threads all standard on these or all bikes? I just purchased a new Sanctuary 7 from Amazon (about $310) and just received it this week. Upon assembly, I noticed the pedals seem very cheaply made, a plastic-like material. Because I'm not a small guy, I thought I'd upgrade to an alloy material pedal set off Amazon, but I wanted to make sure they will fit my bicycle. They say they are 9/16" thread? Everything on this bike on assembly is metric, so I'm sceptical. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-22, 10:54 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabo9302
Hello all. Newbie here with a question about the Schwinn Sanctuary 7. Are the pedal threads all standard on these or all bikes? I just purchased a new Sanctuary 7 from Amazon (about $310) and just received it this week. Upon assembly, I noticed the pedals seem very cheaply made, a plastic-like material. Because I'm not a small guy, I thought I'd upgrade to an alloy material pedal set off Amazon, but I wanted to make sure they will fit my bicycle. They say they are 9/16" thread? Everything on this bike on assembly is metric, so I'm sceptical. Thanks in advance.
You need a 1/2” pedal. The metal spindle inside will bend before the plastic breaks (most likely).

How big are you? I’d run the pedals it came with until they bent. It might take more force than you realize.

If you want a pedal with more grip, that’s a different reason. Try the Odysee Twisted pedal in 1/2”.
Old 12-09-22, 12:35 PM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 6'2", 320 lbs. I'm afraid I will actually break the pedal shaft if I stand up to crank down like on a hill, but I suppose I can try them out and get a better feel for them first. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-09-22, 02:40 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I'm 6'2", 320 lbs. I'm afraid I will actually break the pedal shaft if I stand up to crank down like on a hill, but I suppose I can try them out and get a better feel for them first. Thanks for your response.
You'll twist the crank before you'll bend ody's.
Old 12-09-22, 02:50 PM
Schweinhund

At your weight, you might consider something like this
https://www.bmxguru.com/collections/...bottom-bracket ody pedals are still your best bet, but these cranks are way stronger than stock. you'll need 9/16ths pedals for them.
Old 12-09-22, 03:16 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
At your weight, you might consider something like this
https://www.bmxguru.com/collections/...bottom-bracket ody pedals are still your best bet, but these cranks are way stronger than stock. you'll need 9/16ths pedals for them.
I ran GT 180mm cranks similar to these on my BMX bike as a teenager. Some of my friends ran Profile cranks of a similar design.

These types of cranks can take an insane amount of abuse. The frame will buckle before the cranks fail.

Not all one piece cranks are weak. Some are even chromo and were originally intended for BMX or light abuse. It just depends.
Old 12-09-22, 03:34 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I ran GT 180mm cranks similar to these on my BMX bike as a teenager. Some of my friends ran Profile cranks of a similar design.

These types of cranks can take an insane amount of abuse. The frame will buckle before the cranks fail.

Not all one piece cranks are weak. Some are even chromo and were originally intended for BMX or light abuse. It just depends.
Stop right there. No they are not. The original cromo crank is the schwinn. I bent everything right down to the 1980's Takagi which was arguably the strongest OPC ever. Never bent a 3 piece chromo crank. the arms will crack before you twist the axle.
You can have your opinion, but 1 piece cranks are not anywhere near as strong as what I linked to.
On top of that, you have no clue as to what 320 pounds does to a pair of cranks as evidenced by that spot of ignorance.
Old 12-09-22, 04:36 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Stop right there. No they are not. The original cromo crank is the schwinn. I bent everything right down to the 1980's Takagi which was arguably the strongest OPC ever. Never bent a 3 piece chromo crank. the arms will crack before you twist the axle.
You can have your opinion, but 1 piece cranks are not anywhere near as strong as what I linked to.
On top of that, you have no clue as to what 320 pounds does to a pair of cranks as evidenced by that spot of ignorance.
I know they aren’t as strong. But I think some are strong enough, even for a 300# rider.

If he was going to come up short trying to jump a triple, I’d definitely say don’t do it. Not me, but I did see a OPC shatter when another rider at a BMX track landed short.
Old 12-09-22, 04:50 PM
Schweinhund

I bent every single crank either cranking up a hill or doing a jackrabbit start from a stop light. None were from jumping and always the left side
Old 12-10-22, 09:27 PM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've never tried my hand at removing/changing out a crank. Kind of intimidated, actually. I think I've decided to try the set up as-is and see how it works out. Thanks again for the replies & suggestions.
Old 12-13-22, 03:54 PM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, dumb question time, but is it necessary to replace the entire hub in order to go with a QR? Can I just replace the center shaft? I'm too scared at the thought of replacing the hub and trusting myself to adjust the spokes true...
Old 12-13-22, 04:03 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Ok, dumb question time, but is it necessary to replace the entire hub in order to go with a QR? Can I just replace the center shaft? I'm too scared at the thought of replacing the hub and trusting myself to adjust the spokes true...
Old 12-13-22, 08:34 PM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks!
Old 12-13-22, 10:04 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by SkinGriz

I never said one piece cranks were weak, what I did say was that chromoly 3 piece cranks are stronger.
one piece cranks are not going to hold up to the OP.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-13-22, 11:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I never said one piece cranks were weak, what I did say was that chromoly 3 piece cranks are stronger.
I am probably way off. I’ve never had either the weight or strength to worry about it from just riding around, bunny hopping up or off curbs, etc.
Old 12-20-22, 06:52 PM
DesmoDog

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Hold on there, tiger... I'm the OP. One piece cranks work just fine for me. I've never bent one and would be shocked if I ever did.

The guy you're calling the OP is a newb who highjacked this thread.