Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Slight surface crack cause for concern?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-22, 10:03 PM
lancelegstrong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just noticed this on my frame, wondering whether it's anything to worry about or just a surface crack in the paint, any opinions?
Old 02-23-22, 11:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The first obvious thing to do is to pull the BB out and inspect the insides. There are dye penetrants that can capillary their way through a crack to the other side you could employee. I've used penetrating oil and really clean other side for this.

Could this only be a paint crack? Sure but I tend to doubt it. Have you even pulled the post out and shined a light down the seat tube? Andy
Old 02-24-22, 05:55 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
It's a very common place for lugged frames like that to crack. It won't be a catastrophic failure even if it breaks off completely, so I'd ride it till it breaks. There is no effective method of patching it, so tube replacement is the only real repair. You may as well ride it till it breaks and then make a decision on whether it is worth the expense of replacing the tube.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-24-22, 09:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
All cracks look small on the surface, until they look big. That's a very long crack, I would say.

Are there any symptoms while riding, e.g. derailleur rub? Although my sad experience with Teletyne titans says the crack has to get more than half way around before that starts happening.

I have seen some frames that look like that where there was very little filler in the joint. That's my suspicion on this one. Not sure how that happened. Seems like it would take a very inattentive person doing the brazing or a rank beginner. I assume it was hearth brazed. Might have been just before lunch.
Old 02-24-22, 02:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
My 1976 Fuji Pro broke right there after showing that crack for about 6 weeks. In a race. Not a big deal. Bike went instantly to feeling soft and floppy. Stopped, looked, then rode the bike back to the start/finish, looking down periodically to see the seattube waving back and forth.
Old 02-24-22, 04:39 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have seen some frames that look like that where there was very little filler in the joint. That's my suspicion on this one. Not sure how that happened. Seems like it would take a very inattentive person doing the brazing or a rank beginner.
Might not have been anyone there at all, if it was robotically brazed. That was a thing for a while there, before the revolution that switched all cheap frames to TIG-welded. Multiple torches pointed at the joint (I remember it as at least eight torches, probably more), sometimes with a motorized "waving" action so they aren't just pointed at one spot each. An infra-red "electric eye" tells it when it's hot enough, then spool guns feed brass wire into the joint at multiple points, brazing DT ST and CS sockets all at once. I've seen it in videos, but never in person. Since there are so many ways it could go wrong, I'm amazed that they worked at all, but from what I've heard millions of frames were brazed that way. I think they were used first in Japan, then later in Taiwan. Maybe China but I think by the time the tech had trickled down that far, the switch to welding was complete. My old boss Davidson saw it used in Japan but he didn't go to China.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-24-22, 05:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I was about to ask about automated brazing. I always thought the Japanese makers maintained a certain level of hand craft with their frames. I didn't know the Japanese used anything like that, but it makes sense to have a flat-topped bb shell if you do. Maybe that's a signal of machine brazing. Seems like there should be a puddle of brass on the outside if it fails, which would be fairly easy to pick up on inspection.
Old 02-24-22, 11:07 PM
lancelegstrong

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input, if it won't be a catastrophic failure I will just keep riding it in that case, if it breaks I'll just replace it, only paid $150 AUD for the frame so not really worth repairing, I guess you get what you pay for eh
Likes For lancelegstrong:
Old 02-25-22, 08:33 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
Can you open the crack by stepping on the pedal and push on the seat?

That’s this became more apparent after some brake rubbing and odd shifter noise

about a 30 year old RockHopper. But my 2 year old Gunnar did the same.