Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 05-01-22, 03:39 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Picked up a new bike today... for my son. His bday is at the end of the month and he's outgrown the bike that we got for him a few years ago. He'll be 11, and we were tempted to go with a 26" adult bike in an XS frame size, but REI had an aggressive sale going on for kid's bikes, so we ended up getting a 24" for him. It'll probably only fit him this year and next, but we figure that he doesn't beat up his bikes, so we should be able to recoup 70-80% of what we paid when we sell it in a couple years.
Also, I can't believe how time flies.
Old 05-01-22, 03:42 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, for whatever reason, the YouTube algorithms recommended a video featuring some snooker highlights. I didn't even know how snooker was played, at the time, but I'm a sucker for excellence, so I watched and went down a bit of a rabbit hole. Now I'm hitting refresh on a web page, watching the frame-by-frame recap and pulling for Ronnie O'Sullivan to take home a record-tying 7th World Championship. Oy vey.
Snooker is a tough game. Much more exacting than your everyday billiards i dabbled very briefly back in my pool shark days.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 05-01-22, 03:45 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Check out 3 Ball Pool also.
Back in my pool days, there was decent money on 3 ball, but One Pocket was the one. Generally after midnight, and it was pro tour level guys and gals.
Old 05-01-22, 03:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
We were actually kind of mid-state, just outside Norwich. The dirt roads we used were freshly groomed.
VT has a lot of nice dirt roads.
Old 05-01-22, 03:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
What about car wheels on a gravel road?

https://youtu.be/YgnnrZfoZS0
When I first heard that song I thought it was cartwheels on a gravel road.
Old 05-01-22, 03:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Also, I can't believe how time flies.
You're tellin' me. Kid's gonna be off to college before I know it.
Old 05-01-22, 03:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,271 Times in 3,459 Posts
You're tellin' me. Kid's gonna be off to college before I know it.
Just hope they don’t move back!

Happy birthday to your son!
Old 05-01-22, 03:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LAJ
Back in my pool days, there was decent money on 3 ball, but One Pocket was the one. Generally after midnight, and it was pro tour level guys and gals.
Spent a lot of Saturdays with my dad at the pool hall. Never got into it myself.
Old 05-01-22, 04:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Stole a couple pics from yesterday. Here, we are spread out because of climbing and faster riders waiting back for stragglers. This guy on the tri bike was kind of a pain later when we were all together for the 15 miles of mostly downhill. He sweeps back and forth across the road and doesn't stay close enough to the group so people behind him can get a draft. Luckily he can't climb.

Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-22, 04:17 PM
big john

Also, some people are starting a regular gravel ride near here. It's nice to know that if I join them and post about it here someone will crap all over it.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-22, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Snooker is a tough game. Much more exacting than your everyday billiards i dabbled very briefly back in my pool shark days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-01-22, 04:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Yesterday was awesome.

The course was super dry and amazingly difficult. Many 18+ grades to climb with quite a few hike a bikers. The steepest segments were at nearly the end and the course finished with a steep 200 foot climb.

I was pleased with the effort considering I woke up at 5 and couldn’t keep anything down. Didn’t have enough breakfast so I had to eat a lot on the course. Took a shot of fireball from someone at mile 40 and that kept me going.

Boswell won, averaged something like 20, which is insane. I think I could have averaged maybe 15 if I had felt better in the morning and ate more- oh well, there’s always next year.

We met the owner of Mid South at a restaurant later yesterday and talked to him for quite a while. He’s really cool- I enjoyed talking to him. He said he’d put us in for 23 if we want, I’m considering it.

Official numbers for the day according to the race timing we’re 58 miles, 7350 feet and 13.8 average. All in dirt.

Here’s a crappy picture of some of the roads.
Valuable info right there.
Old 05-01-22, 04:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28436 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Maybe. Kinda far to ride my bike there.
Don't you have a car?
Old 05-01-22, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I learned a valuable lesson today: Make sure the valve stem on your spare tube is long enough for all the rims on all your bikes. Remember those Fulcrum wheels I was bragging about fixing the bearing preload on? Turns out the rims are surprisingly deep. Deep enough that the little stub of the valve stem that pokes out is NOT long enough for a Zefal hpx pump head to grab. I figured this out after pulling the punctured tube out, inserting the spare, and getting the tire back on the rim. Then I couldn't pump it up. I tried for a good 5 minutes before giving up.

So, back to the punctured tube. I also carry an instant patch kit, so I pumped up the old tube and searched for the leak. But it's a slow leak and I was outside on a breezy day. So after a fruitless few minutes trying to find a hole, I switched to looking for the cut in the tread, which was tough because as it turned out, it was very small, not very deep, and ran parallel to the tread. I found it. It was near the valve. I STILL couldn't find the leak, so I put one instant patch on each side of the valve, where I the hole seemed likely to be. I pumped the tube up a bit and it seemed to be holding air better, so I swapped the patched tube back in, replacing the useless spare.

It was then that I discovered that a 30+ year old Zefal hpx can be finicky. Some strokes of the pump did nothing at all. In the end, I had to hold the pump very steady at exactly the right angle. I eventually managed to get the tire pumped up to something like the right pressure. I set off for home, which was 5 miles away.

2 1/2 miles later, at a stop sign, I felt the tire and it felt a bit soft, so I decided to pump it up some more. In the process of trying to get set up to do that, I blew out most of the air that was left in it, and had to pump it up from almost empty again.

I made it home, riding gently. The whole flat fixing adventure took nearly 1/2 hour!

Old 05-01-22, 04:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, yeah! The bearing adjustment worked like a charm! MUCH better! This was especially obvious on the downhill sections.

Old 05-01-22, 04:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by big john
It's nice to know that if I join them and post about it here someone will crap all over it.
Post with that confidence.
Old 05-01-22, 04:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Snoozeball record!

Old 05-01-22, 05:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Don't you have a car?
We took the Fit. There seem to be so many areas to explore here, we may have to save your neck of the woods for our next trip.
Old 05-01-22, 05:02 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13641 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I learned a valuable lesson today: Make sure the valve stem on your spare tube is long enough for all the rims on all your bikes. Remember those Fulcrum wheels I was bragging about fixing the bearing preload on? Turns out the rims are surprisingly deep. Deep enough that the little stub of the valve stem that pokes out is NOT long enough for a Zefal hpx pump head to grab. I figured this out after pulling the punctured tube out, inserting the spare, and getting the tire back on the rim. Then I couldn't pump it up. I tried for a good 5 minutes before giving up.

So, back to the punctured tube. I also carry an instant patch kit, so I pumped up the old tube and searched for the leak. But it's a slow leak and I was outside on a breezy day. So after a fruitless few minutes trying to find a hole, I switched to looking for the cut in the tread, which was tough because as it turned out, it was very small, not very deep, and ran parallel to the tread. I found it. It was near the valve. I STILL couldn't find the leak, so I put one instant patch on each side of the valve, where I the hole seemed likely to be. I pumped the tube up a bit and it seemed to be holding air better, so I swapped the patched tube back in, replacing the useless spare.

It was then that I discovered that a 30+ year old Zefal hpx can be finicky. Some strokes of the pump did nothing at all. In the end, I had to hold the pump very steady at exactly the right angle. I eventually managed to get the tire pumped up to something like the right pressure. I set off for home, which was 5 miles away.

2 1/2 miles later, at a stop sign, I felt the tire and it felt a bit soft, so I decided to pump it up some more. In the process of trying to get set up to do that, I blew out most of the air that was left in it, and had to pump it up from almost empty again.

I made it home, riding gently. The whole flat fixing adventure took nearly 1/2 hour!
Epic
Old 05-01-22, 05:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Ugh. I carry a valve stem extender (and a quick link) in my pouch. I have not ever needed it for myself, but it has saved several club mates whose spare tubes had short valve stems. It weighs like 2g, but worth it to be the occasional hero.
Old 05-01-22, 05:06 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13641 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
I carry tubes with 80mm stems on the road bikes. I only really need 60mms for the Rovals, but I like the extra length. And it's nice to be able to bail out fellow riders that need long stems.
Old 05-01-22, 05:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
Ugh. I carry a valve stem extender (and a quick link) in my pouch. I have not ever needed it for myself, but it has saved several club mates whose spare tubes had short valve stems. It weighs like 2g, but worth it to be the occasional hero.
The funny thing about this is that I should have expected it. When I originally mounted the Fulcrums on the Ritchey, I swapped the tires and tubes from the old wheels, and I ended up using a pair of valve extenders to make it possible to pump them up. When I moved them to the Litespeed, I mounted a set of Vittoria Corsas, with new Vittoria tubes that have long stems, so I put the valve extenders away again, BUT I didn't replace the tube in my saddle bag with one of the Vittorias. 'Cause I'm dumb.

Old 05-01-22, 05:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
PAsOTD

Carshow today?
I slept through some of the Aircooled Arizona get-together, so just rode my bike up to my favorite coffee shop instead.

Anyways, here's the Hilarious Saturn Ass of the Day:

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-01-22 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 05:59 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Post with that confidence.
Your grumpy old man snark is a given.
Old 05-01-22, 06:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Also, some people are starting a regular gravel ride near here. It's nice to know that if I join them and post about it here someone will crap all over it.
No matter what you do, someone here will crap all over it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.