Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

is Wiggle ripping us off?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

is Wiggle ripping us off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 11:40 PM
theroadnottaken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Can you actually buy it directly from Vitus?
Duty? Shipping? included?
I think you have to buy Vitus from Wiggle or CRC; I've been looking. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know. Duty and shipping seemed to get lumped together, and are added on top of the bike price.
Old 05-21-22, 12:05 AM
theroadnottaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
If Wiggle is transparent in their pricing, they aren't ripping anyone off. You're free to look, compare, and choose. Don't like what you see? Go somewhere else. Whatever reason they may have for pricing things different to different regions, it's unlikely you are going to have any effect on it.
Yes, and we can choose not to buy a Volkswagon and instead get a Ford, and hotdogs over cheeseburgers, and Colgate over Aquafresh. It doesn't mean I can't like Vitus bikes and rail a little bit or, at the very least, question in a related thread Wiggle/CRC's pricing since a) they are the only avenue to purchase Vitus, and b) they are greedy, money-grubbing dickheads camoflaging price gouging with pandemic economics. Most importantly, that icy, blue strip in Aquafresh is a necessity for psychological well-being, so is our perceived choice really just an illusion?
Old 05-21-22, 06:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
You realize that anyone who offers “free shipping” is making more money from some people than from others based on where they live, right?
Old 05-22-22, 07:32 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Hmmm, that 18% is about exactly the VAT (Value Added Tax) that Wiggle would have to collect from a UK customer But would not have to collect from an export customer. Cooincidence? I think not. Rather I think WIggle just decided "Heck, let's just keep that VAT. None of these punters care."

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because it thinks it can sell them for that price?
and the reason Wiggle thinks they can sell them for that price is because most of their customers are not.... errh "intrepid"? enough to wonder "Is Wiggle ripping us off"? (Surprise! They Are)
Old 05-22-22, 07:37 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
If Wiggle is transparent in their pricing, they aren't ripping anyone off. You're free to look, compare, and choose. Don't like what you see? Go somewhere else. Whatever reason they may have for pricing things different to different regions, it's unlikely you are going to have any effect on it.
True but, People. Are. Lazy. Until their noses are rubbed in it.
If just hree people have woken up and starting doing the math and looking for alternatives, then that is an effect, a win, however small.
Old 05-22-22, 07:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
Hmmm, that 18% is about exactly the VAT (Value Added Tax) that Wiggle would have to collect from a UK customer But would not have to collect from an export customer. Cooincidence? I think not. Rather I think WIggle just decided "Heck, let's just keep that VAT. None of these punters care."

and the reason Wiggle thinks they can sell them for that price is because most of their customers are not.... errh "intrepid"? enough to wonder "Is Wiggle ripping us off"? (Surprise! They Are)
I don’t think you know what “ripping off” means. It does not mean charging more than another source. If your idea of “ripping off” is charging more than another source than the term is really meaningless. No one is forcing you to buy anything or selling something that is not authentic. They are just charging more for whatever reason they see fit. I can buy gas at any number of places. Some noticeably more expensive than others. No one is trying to “rip me off.”

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-22-22 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 09:10 PM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
They likely have to pay US custom since the bike is over $800. It is also more expensive and hassle to ship to the US.

It isn't a rip-off if they show you the price they charge before you agree to pay. They don't force you to buy from them. You are free to get a better value from a different seller.
Old 05-23-22, 09:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by DaverSomething
Focus on the bottom line not any particular fee or cost. Whether you getting a good deal or not is really all that matters.
X2

If the final (checkout) cart price is not the deal I was after, the window gets the "x" & i move on.
Old 05-31-22, 01:02 AM
theroadnottaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
They likely have to pay US custom since the bike is over $800. It is also more expensive and hassle to ship to the US.

It isn't a rip-off if they show you the price they charge before you agree to pay. They don't force you to buy from them. You are free to get a better value from a different seller.
It isn't quite that simple. The Sentier 29 has less reach and more stack than just about any bike in its class (Chameleon, Honzo, etc.), making it slightly more upright. For someone like myself (and many others) whose back isn't the best due to injury, it's one of the best options for a trail bike. Plus, they offer it in super cool midnight blue, when a lot of bike companies (looking at Specialized) seem to have drank the ridiculous color koolaid along with Nike shoes.

The buyer pays the customs fee, which is added to shipping on top of the bike price. So that isn't the explanation.
Old 05-31-22, 09:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by theroadnottaken
Vitus Sentier 29 on Vitus' site: 949.99 pounds. Conversion to dollars: $1185.59. Price for bike at Wiggle or CRC for US buyer: $1399.

Why is Wiggle charging an extra ~18% above the price advertised on Vitus' site?

FYI, I paid $1099 for the exact same bike a year and a half ago. I understand supply chain issues and rising material costs, but $300 more? In a year?
Clearly, some people should not buy bikes on the internet:

Wiggle:
Vitus Sentier 29 Mountain Bike
$1,199.99 list, on sale for $1,019.99

What's the problem?
Old 05-31-22, 11:06 PM
theroadnottaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Clearly, some people should not buy bikes on the internet:

Wiggle:
Vitus Sentier 29 Mountain Bike
$1,199.99 list, on sale for $1,019.99

What's the problem?
$1259 as of just now, but better than $1399, which was the price at the time of the OP when the bike wasn't on sale. Clearly, some people shouldn't attempt basic logic.

One has only to visit Chain Reaction, select various shipping countries, and examine the differences in sale % and shipping cost (which includes duty) to understand just how much this company is ****ing everyone over, well, at least the people in countries it's decided it can **** over.
Old 05-31-22, 11:18 PM
tomato coupe

$1259 as of just now, but better than $1399, which was the price at the time of the OP when the bike wasn't on sale. Clearly, some people shouldn't attempt basic logic.

One has only to visit Chain Reaction, select various shipping countries, and examine the differences in sale % and shipping cost (which includes duty) to understand just how much this company is ****ing everyone over, well, at least the people in countries it's decided it can **** over.
Can you point to the doll where Wiggle touched you?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-31-22, 11:31 PM
theroadnottaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Can you point to the doll where Wiggle touched you?
What is your affiliation with Wiggle/Chain Reaction?
Old 05-31-22, 11:42 PM
tomato coupe

What is your affiliation with Wiggle/Chain Reaction?
My wife is an heiress to the Wiggle empire.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-01-22, 05:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
So, if duty on bikes is 11% (per googlefu), $1249 / 1.11 = $1,125

Old 06-01-22, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I'm totally at a lost as to where several people have gotten the idea that a company is supposed to price products similarly in different countries or they're "screwing people". or "ripping us off." These are capitalist enterprises, and they will charge what the market will bear, provided that price is actually profitable for them.

As a buyer in the U.S., why should I care what the item would cost me if I was ordering from the UK? Since my moving to the UK just to buy the item is not an option, that info is irrelevant to me. I do care whether there's a source available to me in the US where I can pay less for the same or substantially similar item, and if I don't check for that possibility before buying from CR or Wiggle and I end up overpaying, any "screwing" of me is entirely my own fault.

TL/DR: The price is the price, and it's either higher, lower or the same as other available sources. What does it matter to us how that price was calculated? Check prices and if they're higher than the competition, don't buy from them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-01-22, 10:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Markets differ across the world. Demand, supply and competition are all variables affecting price in a given location/time. Living in the UK sometimes I notice certain things are considerably cheaper in the US. If I want those things and I can't buy them locally any cheaper then I have to either suck up the higher price or not buy them. Wiggle/CRC are usually competitive in the UK market, so I often buy stuff from them. If they really are more expensive in the US, then they are either going to be uncompetitive in the US market (in which case buy from the more competitive source) or if they are still cheaper than local US sources then why would they need to reduce their prices to match a totally different market?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-01-22, 10:33 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
...understand just how much this company is ****ing everyone over, well, at least the people in countries it's decided it can **** over.
The consumers in those countries are decided how much the company is "ripping people off." If the customer is not willing to pay, the company won't sell to them. As it has been pointed out, nobody is forcing anyone to purchase anything.

Additionally, have you ever considered the Wiggle's cost *is higher* to take, prepare and ship orders outside the UK? I don't accept export orders in my business for that reason.
Old 06-01-22, 10:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Markets differ across the world. Demand, supply and competition are all variables affecting price in a given location/time. Living in the UK sometimes I notice certain things are considerably cheaper in the US. If I want those things and I can't buy them locally any cheaper then I have to either suck up the higher price or not buy them. Wiggle/CRC are usually competitive in the UK market, so I often buy stuff from them. If they really are more expensive in the US, then they are either going to be uncompetitive in the US market (in which case buy from the more competitive source) or if they are still cheaper than local US sources then why would they need to reduce their prices to match a totally different market?

It's almost like Wiggle is a commercial enterprise attempting to maximize profit. Those crooks!
Likes For livedarklions: