Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice on rear hub for Cannondale RD 2.0 Disc wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 12:52 PM
Archie0705

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

​​​​​​My freehub on my Cannondale synapse 105 (bought April 2021) is in very poor condition and needs replaced. I've been told I need a Fh-117k freehub, but I cannot find it anywhere in stock on the internet.So I am wondering if I should buy a whole new rear hub as the next cheapest option? If so, would anyone know what rearhubs are compatible with my wheel? Is it quite generic and you just need a rearhub of correct width, thickness and 11-speed Shimano compatible or need a very specific one?

Apologies if what I'm saying is just stupid! Not too knowledge on these things.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-22, 01:33 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
It may just need a flush and re-lube. Shouldn't normally be worn out after only 1 year if less than 20k miles on it.
Old 04-30-22, 02:24 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie0705
Hi!

​​​​​​My freehub on my Cannondale synapse 105 (bought April 2021) is in very poor condition and needs replaced. I've been told I need a Fh-117k freehub, but I cannot find it anywhere in stock on the internet.So I am wondering if I should buy a whole new rear hub as the next cheapest option? If so, would anyone know what rearhubs are compatible with my wheel? Is it quite generic and you just need a rearhub of correct width, thickness and 11-speed Shimano compatible or need a very specific one?

Thanks!
Rear. Hub. 2 words. There is no 'compatible' rear hub. You can use any hub that is Shimano 11 and the same number of spokes are your current hub, and the same OLD. You obviously need to take into account whether it's disc brake or not. If you get a different hub you'll have to have whomever is rebuilding the wheel calculate the needed spoke lengths. It might be cheaper to just buy a complete wheel.
Old 05-25-22, 11:26 AM
CornDawg303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie0705
Hi!

Thanks!
Did you manage to get this sorted? I've got the same issue but with FH117 freehub (think this is the shorter bodied version). Have probably done about 1500 miles maximum.

Did you clean it? Replace it? Buy new hub?

Cheers