Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 08:44 PM
ColoradoVRs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Got it today in its original box, NOS, about 45 years in someone’s stash. It is a flawless 23” in the 1600 serial numbers. Build up will follow by Spring thaw here in CO.

Last edited by ColoradoVRs; 01-15-22 at 08:52 PM.
Likes For ColoradoVRs:
Old 01-15-22, 08:54 PM
ColoradoVRs

Likes For ColoradoVRs:
Old 01-16-22, 07:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Very nice "fresh" Titan.
amazing that it was purchased and stored.
for Decades!

DiaCompe makes oversized top tube cable clips just in case.
Old 01-16-22, 08:29 AM
ColoradoVRs

I have a 22” Titan I got from a special place last year and I did use the Dia Compe 1 1/8” stainless clips... they are great! But this NOS boxed 23” Titan came with two sets (of three) of the original Shimano 1 1/8” top tube clip as a Bonus. And the 1st Gen Dura Ace headset has zero corrosion (looks like it came out of a box) and it is just a time capsule that I’m so happy to have found. It is from the San Diego area.

it is so cold here it may be two months before I can ride it. And yes, I know all the stories but I live on the edge so no concern for meeting my maker on it!!

VR
Bruce
Old 01-16-22, 08:49 AM
repechage

Trust you have grown, your new frame looks like a 23" as Teledyne measured to top
Old 01-18-22, 10:00 PM
ColoradoVRs

Ugh, no. Like a lot of us old timers I may be shrinking 😂. I could only find the 22” last year in nice shape, but lucked into this 23”. I’m usually a 57/58...
Old 01-26-22, 11:25 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I posted this on another thread a while back but here is is again. S/N #002 which at one time belonged to Bicycling Magazine technical editor, the late Fred DeLong. Lots of interesting things going on with this build including an early Mathauser hydraulic front brake paired with a Scott Superbrake out back. It remains in as-found condition and still has Fred's TWA luggage tag hanging on it.

This bike is mentioned above in the (now dead) link from Joel Flood's blog when he wrote about it while he worked at Via bicycle in Philly. I got this bike from Via.

I also wonder if this is the same bike used in the March 1974 Bicycling Magazine test posted by the OP. Since Fred is listed as one of the authors, I guess it is possible?

Last edited by kingsting; 01-26-22 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 03:59 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
NYLFOR headset
Old 03-24-22, 04:17 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
NOT 'unpolished stainless spokes' ....they are TORRINGTON cad plated double butted steel spokes = USA made
Old 05-26-22, 12:15 PM
Gramseur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Cool advertising from TT,..... but wondering about that last pic.....
Supposed to be stress analysis on the frame..... but where is the stress coming from??
Not sure if the document will show in my reply/question (new to forums).The Teledyne Linair advertising piece frequently seen with the frame angles corrected in blue pen and shows a built bike in stress testing (official looking in other words) has text that reads "The frame is handcrafted, it accepts a standard 27.0 millimeter seat post, and has a standard style right and left hand threaded bottom bracket."
For my 24' frame I've had since 1974, I run a 26.8 mm seat post that fits loosely enough that I've used a beer can shim.
Has anyone out there used a 27mm post?
Old 05-29-22, 09:44 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Teledyne Titan with 27.0 mm Seatpost

My Teledyne Titan (#653) fits a 27.0 mm seat post. I bought my frame alone on ebay, and the seller was concerned that perhaps one of the tabs on the seat post clamp is damaged. I have used a clamp surrounding the seatpost to reinforce the seat post clamp and have had no problems. Mine survived California Eroica this year, and a tour from San Francisco to San Diego - it is the nicest riding bike I have ever ridden.

-Will
Old 05-30-22, 06:32 AM
Gramseur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teledyne Titan with 27.0 mm Seatpost

Thanks, thats very helpful. I impulse ordered an inexpensive straight alloy post to try a test fit on #888 and figure this will be a good test of how consistently /readily a 27.0 post works as well. I forgot to mention that it is a toss up based on caliper readings.
The clamp ears on mine pull together a bit. which was also a hint that a 27 might be workable. They do not seem damaged and I’ve swapped 26.8 posts several times since buying the frame used in 1974. I’m hunting for a new period approximate post that weighs less than the current 300g plus SR Laprade. Finally completing this bike as I would have liked in the 70s!
This was the only bike in our family that (sort of ) survived Katrina. Almost all of its components and all our other bikes with steel frames didn’t fair well being submerged in sea water (despite hanging from the ceiling). However, the frame itself cleaned up beautifully and is now my primary road bike with a primarily Italian cockpit and first generation Shimano Dura Ace drivetrain.
I have a vintage Selle Italia Concor Superleggera saddle on the way and finding the right lightweight Italian or American seatpost will round thing out nicely. A lot of the most interesting post choices seem to be in 27.0.
And have to agree.. this is a very special and wonderful bike to ride!

One last note. I had missed notes on this bikes particular vulnerability to conical handlebar stem wedges. Despite being deliberately careful and progressive with torque, I managed to partially split the steering tube (signified by a muted “ping”!). My LBS thinks a local aerospace welder can fix it but in the meantime have installed a Kinesis aluminum fork which I can confirm tightens the handling…very positively in my opinion. If I reinstall the original fork it will be for quasi retirement ( mine or the bikes) and will make sure to us an angled wedge stem.
More later and thanks again.
Old 07-30-22, 07:23 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Tandem
My Teledyne Titan (#653) fits a 27.0 mm seat post. I bought my frame alone on ebay, and the seller was concerned that perhaps one of the tabs on the seat post clamp is damaged. I have used a clamp surrounding the seatpost to reinforce the seat post clamp and have had no problems. Mine survived California Eroica this year, and a tour from San Francisco to San Diego - it is the nicest riding bike I have ever ridden.

-Will
Well Will,
After our brief encounter at the top of Cypress during Eroica, i know in possession of Teledyne SN 399 without an original fork. I bought the bike after seeing in the 'are you looking for of this....' post . The frame looks it it was never been ridden although the seller slapped a bunch of Campy parts on it. He was not a bike guy more of a garage sales hobbyist. Anyway my intention was to get the campy to build me a proper Italian Eroica machine since the frame is way too big for me. I was planning on selling the frame but now i'm not sure if it should build it up a keep it as conversation piece, decision decision....

Old 08-04-22, 05:28 PM
ColoradoVRs

I’ve got the headset shown in post #227 on eBay now for $100. 🤩It is NOS Shimano Dura Ace, the very 1st Generation Dura Ace headset, take off condition, with a few screwdriver marks on the bottom of the fork race that won’t show once installed. I’ve moved to Florida and will take advantage of the non-corrosive nature of Titanium 👍
Old 08-05-22, 03:56 PM
tmnguuyen 

My Titan frame after close inspections resulted in a big disappointment, there is along crack in the chain stay, see photo below.

Old 08-05-22, 04:08 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
My Titan frame after close inspections resulted in a big disappointment, there is along crack in the chain stay, see photo below.

OMG ! How does that even happen? And is it possible for a framebuilder who works with titanium to repair?
Old 08-05-22, 05:38 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts

have you picked out a suitable wall to hang this frame on??

yeah, that really is bad news. I can't imagine that there is a way to fix this. Any chance of getting some refund from the seller?

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-22, 05:53 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
have you picked out a suitable wall to hang this frame on??

yeah, that really is bad news. I can't imagine that there is a way to fix this. Any chance of getting some refund from the seller?

Steve in Peoria
Wall hanger it is - Not worth going back to the seller, there is a good chance he didn't know about it either. My old eyes could not have seen during he transaction. Here is some colorful language to express my discontent

Quel dommage, Ca va pas non, Mon dieu, c'est la vie, C'est bidon,....
Old 08-06-22, 09:02 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Wow!!
That's like the "Mother of all cracks" on a Ti frame......
Sorry that it turned out to be a wall hanger.....
Someone.might still be brave/rich enough to get it repaired by a Ti frame builder though....
Old 08-06-22, 01:26 PM
repechage

Wow!!
Someone.might still be brave/rich enough to get it repaired by a Ti frame builder though....
thought about that- the frame could be reworked. Teledyne's were CP grade Ti
most likely two new chainstays would be needed- chances of finding similar are slim and none. Then today all the tubes are alloys... so a bridge filler required. Then a finish... teledynes were anodized after a acid wash of some sort.

all can be overcome, but the cost?

cheaper to buy another or two.

that written very late in the Teledyne adventure they sold some frames painted at about a 25% discount. Various rumors as to why, cosmetic flaws? Repaired?
so one could get one painted after a repair.
the color was similar to -

Old 08-06-22, 02:17 PM
tmnguuyen 

Wow!!
This may be the outfit to do the repairs but the frame is not my size so i may just make it a wall hanger. The company in the link below looks like they can recue it but I'm afraid it just turns into a money pits.

https://www.ticycles.com/store-servi...epair-titanium
Old 08-06-22, 08:53 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts

Hose clamps over duct tape, and call it a custom.

I still have my cracked frame by the way, cracked at a BB weld.
Old 08-07-22, 05:59 AM
ColoradoVRs

Finally starting to put together my NOS Titan with SR, Phil, and a little French stuff (Retrofriction, Ideale 2002 Titanium rails, TA Bottle cage). Can’t wait to ride it in my new state of Florida! And yes, I’m riding the fork too - life insurance is stocked up and wife is supportive!!
Likes For ColoradoVRs:
Old 08-07-22, 05:00 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoradoVRs
Finally starting to put together my NOS Titan with SR, Phil, and a little French stuff (Retrofriction, Ideale 2002 Titanium rails, TA Bottle cage). Can’t wait to ride it in my new state of Florida! And yes, I’m riding the fork too - life insurance is stocked up and wife is supportive!!
I rode mine with stock fork. No issues. crank_addict taught me to ease in and out of everything on it.