Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bike repair stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recommendations for bike repair stand

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 08:52 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
how is the tripod design on a slight decline? My driveway where I will throw the bike on the stand to wash it slopes to the street. Not steep or anything. Like <5%
Sounds like about the same angle as my driveway. The Ultimate Support tripod does not handle the slope well, although it is better if I point one leg toward the slope. This is a tough one, as I don't think you'll be happy with either model unless you address the driveway angle first. You don't have a flat surface to work on?
Old 12-26-19, 10:10 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Sounds like about the same angle as my driveway. The Ultimate Support tripod does not handle the slope well, although it is better if I point one leg toward the slope. This is a tough one, as I don't think you'll be happy with either model unless you address the driveway angle first. You don't have a flat surface to work on?
If I’m doing more extensive maintenance I work on my back deck. But if I’m mainly just washing my bike I do that in the driveway. My current stand is a two leg option and does ok but not great on the driveway. Ok for washing but if I have to be careful if I’m putting pressure on it as stand could tip. My current stand is functional but stuff is starting to rust. Replaced a couple of bolts.
Old 12-26-19, 10:11 AM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If a slight angle makes it tip over it means the pods are designed too short for the center position of the bikes mass.
Old 12-26-19, 11:40 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Novalite
If a slight angle makes it tip over it means the pods are designed too short for the center position of the bikes mass.
I’ve never had it tip over but have noticed with the stand height high, and putting some pressure to tighten or loosen something on the outside then it’s something that could cause a tip over with my heavier bikes. With my lighter carbon fiber or aluminum bikes I’m not as concerned.
Old 12-26-19, 01:58 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have used 4 different portable folding stands and liked the Park 9 series best. I did not like the tripod stands I used for special events. The nice thing about the Park stands is the legs can be weighted to provide a little bit more stability to the stand if needed. As for clamps, the Park commercial clamps are simply the best I have used, alas, I now use a Park double head commercial stand in the basement. Will have to hire a young person to move that big ol' base plate if we move in the future! Really like this stand.

My son services his bikes using the Park 9.2 stand and has zero complaints as did I when I was using one.
Old 12-28-19, 06:51 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I place my car rack over a rail. Done.
Old 05-26-22, 04:54 PM
apollodriver

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
hello dear friends helloi dear velocentik

many thanks for this awesome thread. i like it very much - i am looking for some solid bike-repair-stand like those that you are discussing.

i like this very much -

Originally Posted by velocentrik
Somewhere I've got an Ultimate Sport Mechanic stand. I never use it. The tripod design just isn't stable enough to work on bikes without letting the stand dictate positions and balance.

What I use constantly and in my opinion what were some of the best stands ever made were the old pro shop quality Rock Bike Stands. Pedro's licensed or bought them out, I don't remember. I picked up a two-clamp shop Pedro's Rock stand and I think I only paid $300. Not bad for a stand that would have retailed for about $1300. The steel base plate is pretty expensive to source. When you get a shop stand you have a couple of options, bolting into the floor, cutting out a farm tractor steel wheel center, or getting a true flat steel plate. Finding a good source for discount steel, aluminum stock is a really big deal to bring down the cost of a shop stand.

I never use my Park shop stand. I don't even remember if its a one or a two-clamp stand. I just the Park as a bicycle storage hook these days. I'm just not impressed with Park stuff anymore. I like Var, Pedro's and some other stuff. You can commonly find a Park shop stand for sale on Craigslist for less than $200 if you are patient and you look.

To me a portable stand is just a waste of money. With a 29er, a tandem, a full suspension bike, they are pretty much worthless as a repair stand except in a single position that will balance.

Still, the really kool guy setup if you have the money these days is an EZ-lift stand. I've been thinking of setting my Pedro's up with a pulley and counterweight. It's a great design:

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...t-repair-stand

Some pics of the Pedro's Rock stand and clamps. Heirloom quality stand beyond what most pro shops have, and you can find them cheap on Craigslist because no one knows what it is. Happy hunting.

well - i live in Germany -. so i guess its pretty useless to look at Craiglist

what do you suggest to do'!?

look forward to hear from you